Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,488 of 2,857
matched transistor packs

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #1,489 of 2,857
1602734886113.jpeg

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #1,492 of 2,857
the three flatter 8-lead devices (near the 12 light blue surface-mount resistors) are likely matched transistor arrays (2 or 3 per device) for the output devices and a driver / VAS stage. towards the capacitors (the tall cylinders) there are two SO-8 devices that I would guess are part of the DC servo. obviously, Jason would not provide a schematic as the continuity(tm) circuit design is proprietary to Schiit.

(added)
having multiple transistors in the same physical package (and on the same die, but dielectrically isolated) can improve the matching and thermal tracking of the transistors for improved performance.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,493 of 2,857
the three flatter 8-lead devices (near the 8 light blue surface-mount resistors) are likely matched transistor arrays (2 or 3 per device) for the output devices and a driver / VAS stage. towards the capacitors (the tall cylinders) there are two SO-8 devices that I would guess are part of the DC servo. obviously, Jason would not provide a schematic as the continuity(tm) circuit design is proprietary to Schiit.
Yes, definitely. I found the transistor arrays on digikey.com. I like learning about this stuff. Thanks for the info.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,494 of 2,857
I used to own a Magni 3+ and thought it was a great little amp. Lots of power for HD650's. Eventually sold it to go the balanced route. That's no longer relevant so my question is, if I liked the Magni 3+ do you think that the Asgard 3 would be a good fit for me?
Currently using an Asgard 2. Thanks in advance for those who answer.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,495 of 2,857
I used to own a Magni 3+ and thought it was a great little amp. Lots of power for HD650's. Eventually sold it to go the balanced route. That's no longer relevant so my question is, if I liked the Magni 3+ do you think that the Asgard 3 would be a good fit for me?
I know nothing about Asgard2 or the Magni3+. But I do know there is zero not to like about Asgard3 after some four months of daily use, especially considering its $200 price tag and five year warranty!!! Just my thought about.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,496 of 2,857
I would echo that sentiment. If you are looking for comparisons, my feeling is that the A3 was a shade warmer/richer and more "pacey" than the Magni 3+. Frankly, the volume pot alone is probably a good argument for the A3.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,497 of 2,857
I would echo that sentiment. If you are looking for comparisons, my feeling is that the A3 was a shade warmer/richer and more "pacey" than the Magni 3+. Frankly, the volume pot alone is probably a good argument for the A3.
Yep...great amp for the $$$!

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,499 of 2,857
Thanks all for your input. I've read that most owners who had the A2 like the A3 better and I'd say the same probably goes for the Magni 3+. I'm a Schiit fan, owned 5 of their DACs now, and I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. I think that the A2 is a great class A amp but the A3 has more power and other refinements. So now the decision is do I buy the Focal Clear headphones that I want and hold off an the A3 for a month or so and buy the Clear headphones now. Dying to try the Focal's and the A2 would have no trouble providing enough juice.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,500 of 2,857
For classical, jazz and other well recorded non-electronic music, the A3 has much better imaging, depth and width, than the A2 and the Magni 3+. The A3 also has less veiling of the mids and highs than the A2, with my low-impedance planars, to my ears.

Why not try the Clears first with your A2? The spec I could find listed 55 ohms and 104dB/mW SPL, so they should get plenty loud with the A2. IIRC, full rated power of 1W for the A2 into 32 and 50 ohm loads (less with either low or high impedances). I'm not sure they would even cause an A3 to get into the operating range where the Continuity circuit starts to kick in under normal listening, even with dynamic material.

Asgard 2 / Asgard 3 volume pots definitely nicer than the one on Magni 3+.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back