Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,276 of 2,857
Dear Schiit please release Asgard 4 with THX 789 like functionality.

1- Balanced i/o to stack with Modius
2- Add 3 output 3.5mm, 6.35mm and XLR BAL
3- Use 3 gain settings with reasonable DB's. Currently low gain is 0db, high gain is 15.6 db. Make it like THX 789.
4- We all know low gain sucks with Asgard 3 but high gain is too much for sensitive headphones. Nowadays every headphone is sensitive. Even Beyerdynamic going for 32 ohm for their T1's.
5- Keep the class a, improve the heat and noise/distortion.
:rolling_eyes::ok_hand:

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,277 of 2,857
Dear Schiit please release Asgard 4 with THX 789 like functionality.

1- Balanced i/o to stack with Modius
2- Add 3 output 3.5mm, 6.35mm and XLR BAL
3- Use 3 gain settings with reasonable DB's. Currently low gain is 0db, high gain is 15.6 db. Make it like THX 789.
4- We all know low gain sucks with Asgard 3 but high gain is too much for sensitive headphones. Nowadays every headphone is sensitive. Even Beyerdynamic going for 32 ohm for their T1's.
5- Keep the class a, improve the heat and noise/distortion.

They "just" released the Asgard 3. Besides the amp you are describing would be something similar to a Jotunheim. Hopefully Schiit will launch a Jotunheim 2 soon.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,280 of 2,857
Readers of this thread, I have a question? I currently have an iFi Audio Micro iDSD BLACK LABEL. If I were to use the BL as a DAC only, and buy the Asgard3, would I notice an appreciable difference in sound quality? I use HFM Edition XX, Audioquest Night Owl, Thinksound ON2, headphones.
I’m actually owning micro bl- asgard 3 stack. And It takes my Focal Clear darker, narrower but stronger bass and forwarded mids compared to micro bl alone. However i love vocal and rock, so it just fit my taste.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #1,281 of 2,857
Anyone using these to drive an Aeon 2 Closed or a headphone similar? I was looking to get the Gimore Lite but I heard these have a more "warm" sound as well for a SS. If I could save the $300 and get a modius as well that would be great.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,282 of 2,857
Anyone using these to drive an Aeon 2 Closed or a headphone similar? I was looking to get the Gimore Lite but I heard these have a more "warm" sound as well for a SS. If I could save the $300 and get a modius as well that would be great.
I use a Modius and Asgard 3 to drive my Aeon 2 open. The DAC and Amp work very well together.

The Asgard 3 has plenty of power for the power hungry Aeon 2. I normally listen at 9-10 o'clock volume knob position, seldom exceeding 12 (high gain setting).

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #1,286 of 2,857
His Magnius review is superficial to say the least. He fails to mention the fact that the SE output is 1/3 the power than Balanced.
It's not a review, but a product announcement.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,287 of 2,857
Guys, I'm sorry if I missed it in this long 86-page thread, but in June ARS's Armin trashed the Asgard 3 w/ the 4490 card. His review is here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/

To be clear, he said the amp itself was great, the problem was the 4490 implementation. Now, this matters to be me because I was all set to buy the A3 with the 4490. Yes, I know an external DAC is better for all sorts of reasons, but for space/clutter reasons I value having a single box. And, also, I've yet to be convinced that the MB is better than the 4490. Just different, and maybe preferable, but not necessarily.

Anyway, here's the question: do I disregard Armin on this, or do I steer clear of the 4490 and either do MB or get a Modi3. Or a JDS Element 2, which is pricier, and I really want the A3.

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,288 of 2,857
Guys, I'm sorry if I missed it in this long 86-page thread, but in June ARS's Armin trashed the Asgard 3 w/ the 4490 card. His review is here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/

To be clear, he said the amp itself was great, the problem was the 4490 implementation. Now, this matters to be me because I was all set to buy the A3 with the 4490. Yes, I know an external DAC is better for all sorts of reasons, but for space/clutter reasons I value having a single box. And, also, I've yet to be convinced that the MB is better than the 4490. Just different, and maybe preferable, but not necessarily.

Anyway, here's the question: do I disregard Armin on this, or do I steer clear of the 4490 and either do MB or get a Modi3. Or a JDS Element 2, which is pricier, and I really want the A3.

Modius? Am currently listening to HD6XX via Modius / Magnius and it sounds real nice.

That said, they also sound very good through the Bifrost / Asgard 3.
Either way is a no lose proposition...imo! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,289 of 2,857

consider $199 modius DAC (has 4493 chip) with Unison USB to go with Asgard 3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back