Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #1,291 of 2,863
I just had the Bifrost 2 arrive to serve as the DAC in my desktop system, meaning the multibit card in my Asgard 3 is now redundant. I'm going to replace it with the Schiit phono card, and I'm pretty sure that the Bifrost 2 + Asgard 3 Phono stack will make for a pretty awesome headphone/preamp stack!

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #1,293 of 2,863
Guys, I'm sorry if I missed it in this long 86-page thread, but in June ARS's Armin trashed the Asgard 3 w/ the 4490 card. His review is here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/

To be clear, he said the amp itself was great, the problem was the 4490 implementation. Now, this matters to be me because I was all set to buy the A3 with the 4490. Yes, I know an external DAC is better for all sorts of reasons, but for space/clutter reasons I value having a single box. And, also, I've yet to be convinced that the MB is better than the 4490. Just different, and maybe preferable, but not necessarily.

Anyway, here's the question: do I disregard Armin on this, or do I steer clear of the 4490 and either do MB or get a Modi3. Or a JDS Element 2, which is pricier, and I really want the A3.

Well i got that setup..its way better then my asus essence i had before.. the new essense in my country is almost same money.. so yeah.. He might be right, but you should now that guy (1) have listen to everything on the market , (2) 4490 dac "only" cost 100 dollar, (3) he look at a bunch of graphs..my ears dont..

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,294 of 2,863
Well i got that setup..its way better then my asus essence i had before.. the new essense in my country is almost same money.. so yeah.. He might be right, but you should now that guy (1) have listen to everything on the market , (2) 4490 dac "only" cost 100 dollar, (3) he look at a bunch of graphs..my ears dont..

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I'm sure it will sound better than my current smsl ad-18. Would like to hear from more ppl, though.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #1,296 of 2,863
Guys, I'm sorry if I missed it in this long 86-page thread, but in June ARS's Armin trashed the Asgard 3 w/ the 4490 card. His review is here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/

To be clear, he said the amp itself was great, the problem was the 4490 implementation. Now, this matters to be me because I was all set to buy the A3 with the 4490. Yes, I know an external DAC is better for all sorts of reasons, but for space/clutter reasons I value having a single box. And, also, I've yet to be convinced that the MB is better than the 4490. Just different, and maybe preferable, but not necessarily.

Anyway, here's the question: do I disregard Armin on this, or do I steer clear of the 4490 and either do MB or get a Modi3. Or a JDS Element 2, which is pricier, and I really want the A3.

For what it's worth, I picked up an Asgard 3 with a 4490 card not long before the Covid lockdown in March. I do not regret the decision for a second. I'm a lifelong serious music listener and this headphone amp has been extremely-well used since. I'd been mainly a speaker guy previously, but with a wife and child home now being able to pair this amp with HD6xx headphones has been a boon.

I've recommended the same amp to music-loving friends and have had nothing but thanks and positive reviews flow back my way. Like you, I wanted one box on the desk. I'm very happy.

Bill

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #1,297 of 2,863
Hi,

I received my Asgard 3 and Modius amp. I have got a question.

My setup is Computer-> Modius Audioquest red river (RCA -> Asgard 3 via Audioquest red river (RCA) -> Audio quest (RCA to aus) KEF LSX Speakers.

The question is in regards to my powered monitors (KEF).

A, If I use modius directly with computer and kef speakers would it make any difference in audio quality versus the current setup?

B, Which settings should I keep with low gain or high gain for kef lsx.

regards

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,298 of 2,863
Hi,

I received my Asgard 3 and Modius amp. I have got a question.

My setup is Computer-> Modius Audioquest red river (RCA -> Asgard 3 via Audioquest red river (RCA) -> Audio quest (RCA to aus) KEF LSX Speakers.

The question is in regards to my powered monitors (KEF).

A, If I use modius directly with computer and kef speakers would it make any difference in audio quality versus the current setup?

B, Which settings should I keep with low gain or high gain for kef lsx.

regards

KEF LSX has wireless, RJ-45 digital, and 3.5mm phone jack (analog) inputs, correct?? presumably, the 3.5mm jack is designed for use with portable devices, so the Asgard's low gain setting should be OK.

if you use modius (which has no volume control) directly to the kef speakers, then you will need to use your computer's digital volume control which may have more distortion at low volumes than keeping the computer's volume setting at 100% and using the Asgard's volume control.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #1,299 of 2,863
KEF LSX has wireless, RJ-45 digital, and 3.5mm phone jack (analog) inputs, correct?? presumably, the 3.5mm jack is designed for use with portable devices, so the Asgard's low gain setting should be OK.

if you use modius (which has no volume control) directly to the kef speakers, then you will need to use your computer's digital volume control which may have more distortion at low volumes than keeping the computer's volume setting at 100% and using the Asgard's volume control.
Hi i agree but my findings are bit different. Connecting directly from computer n modius gives more clarity n sound stage. I would say 10 % more. Low gain settings via amp gives me less volume range.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,301 of 2,863
Hi i agree but my findings are bit different. Connecting directly from computer n modius gives more clarity n sound stage. I would say 10 % more. Low gain settings via amp gives me less volume range.

best thing is to try different combinations to find what sounds best to you. KEF "specs" on the LSX page did not list input sensitivity for 3.5mm input, so I assumed in the range of 1 or 2 Vrms for rated (max) output, which should be achieved by the modius + asgard 3 set to low gain, and your computer's digital mixer and other volume settings set to 100%, and USB output set to 48k/24, 96k/24 or 192k/24.

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,302 of 2,863
I just had the Bifrost 2 arrive to serve as the DAC in my desktop system, meaning the multibit card in my Asgard 3 is now redundant. I'm going to replace it with the Schiit phono card, and I'm pretty sure that the Bifrost 2 + Asgard 3 Phono stack will make for a pretty awesome headphone/preamp stack!

How do you like the Bifrost 2? Thinking of getting one to replace my Modius

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #1,303 of 2,863

I have heard that the multibit card sounds almost identical to the modi multibit (excepting any minor difference caused by feeding it either by USB or SPDIF) and I am thrilled with the Modi Multibit/Asgard 3 combo. Honestly its the first setup with headphones that has given me the same level of enjoyment that I got from a full range floorstanding speaker setup. There is just a realness to the sound that really gets me. That said, if you are hanging out on ASR then it is likely that measurements are very important to you. And I doubt the Multibit (either card or separate Modi) would measure as well as the Modius (even though I personally prefer the sound of the multibit). I know that having a two box solution isn't your preferred setup but it doesn't change the footprint and they look really nice when stacked.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,304 of 2,863
I have heard that the multibit card sounds almost identical to the modi multibit (excepting any minor difference caused by feeding it either by USB or SPDIF) and I am thrilled with the Modi Multibit/Asgard 3 combo. Honestly its the first setup with headphones that has given me the same level of enjoyment that I got from a full range floorstanding speaker setup. There is just a realness to the sound that really gets me. That said, if you are hanging out on ASR then it is likely that measurements are very important to you. And I doubt the Multibit (either card or separate Modi) would measure as well as the Modius (even though I personally prefer the sound of the multibit). I know that having a two box solution isn't your preferred setup but it doesn't change the footprint and they look really nice when stacked.

I'm not a measurement guy, though I find ARS reviews interesting. No more. Also, I'm aware that there's good evidence his measurements don't mean a lot. For example, he LOVES the Heresy but dumps on the Magni 3+, based entirely on measurements. But on aggregate most reviewers call it a coin toss or fall back on slight preferences. Currowong, for example, said he couldn't tell the difference and that one should pick according to which color one prefers; Zeos said it literally varied from headphone to headphone, etc. Josh Valour said he couldn't tell the difference. However, Armin is one of the very few who's bothered to review the Asgard with the 4490 card; most either review the A3 alone or the A3 with the MB.

I'm interested in the 4490 because it's cheaper, and because nothing I've read about the purported advantages of the MB convince me it's worth the extra money. I mean, yeah, maybe it's better, but only a little, and mainly it's about preference rather than performance. With all that said, Armin's argument is not that the sigma delta chip is bad, but rather that Schiit did a bad job of implementing it such that it hobbles the amp. Unfortunately, there are so few reviews about the A3 with 4490 that it's hard for me to tell if he's on to something or if this is just another example of his measurements leading astray. He has not reviewed an A3 with MB; I cannot tell if he would find that Schiit did a better job of implementing the MB or the same. However, there are lots of reviews of the A3 with MB, and they are overwhelmingly positive. That suggests that either Armin is right about the 4490 and that Schiit did a better job with the MB implementation, OR he's talking nonsense, and I can freely ignore him.

Are you following?

Of course, sound-wise the safer thing to do would be a modius or even a Modi, SD or MB, the Modius being the optimal choice. There's no disputing that. But then we're back to the issues that make the A3 w/ dac card appeal to me: budget + space + lack of wall warts. The space issue has me thinking maybe I should forgo the A3 in favor of a Modi/Magni stack; the issue then is the wall warts (the tangle of cables beside my desk is crazy, and the competition for space on my power strips intense). And of course, I'd always wonder what I'd be missing if I opted for a Magni rather than the A3...the difference is supposed to be fairly small, but meaningful.

At the moment I'm mainly pondering desk space. I cut a piece of paper to the dimensions of the Asgard and am pondering if it fits or if I should get a Modi/Magi stack. The Asgard with DAC offers some real practical advantages: no wall warts, less clutter. I've got a tangle of cables I really want to reduce, if possible, and certainly not make larger. A Modi/Magni stack is at least one wall wart.

Not going separates + trying to save space + money = making compromises. It's all a question of minimizing them. Armin's review suggests that maybe the A3/4490 represents a compromise that is larger than the one normally associated with choosing SD over MB. Maybe.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,305 of 2,863
For what it's worth, I picked up an Asgard 3 with a 4490 card not long before the Covid lockdown in March. I do not regret the decision for a second. I'm a lifelong serious music listener and this headphone amp has been extremely-well used since. I'd been mainly a speaker guy previously, but with a wife and child home now being able to pair this amp with HD6xx headphones has been a boon.

I've recommended the same amp to music-loving friends and have had nothing but thanks and positive reviews flow back my way. Like you, I wanted one box on the desk. I'm very happy.

Bill

I'm glad to hear it. I'd be pairing it with an HD650 and hD600, primarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back