Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,246 of 2,863
A last question, currenty I am using a TEAC UD-301 which has a line out instead of a pre-out. I am aware that in practice these terms are (wrongly) used interchangeably, the manual of the TEAC for instance states that the unit can be used as a pre-amp (so why didn't they mark it as a pre-out instead of line out at the back of the unit?) I can connect the TEAC to my Marantz PM7200 integrated amp without problems and I want to make sure that I can safely connect the Asgard 3 to this amp as well, even though my Marantz has a pre-amp built in already?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #1,247 of 2,863
A last question, currenty I am using a TEAC UD-301 which has a line out instead of a pre-out. I am aware that in practice these terms are (wrongly) used interchangeably, the manual of the TEAC for instance states that the unit can be used as a pre-amp (so why didn't they mark it as a pre-out instead of line out at the back of the unit?) I can connect the TEAC to my Marantz PM7200 integrated amp without problems and I want to make sure that I can safely connect the Asgard 3 to this amp as well, even though my Marantz has a pre-amp built in already?
Line out is what you want. The 2 RCA out's between the XLR outs.

Why do people make it hard on themselves?

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #1,248 of 2,863
Line out is what you want. The 2 RCA out's between the XLR outs.

Why do people make it hard on themselves?
I don't think you understood my question. My question concerns the Asgard, not the TEAC (which indeed has XLR outs, the Asgard does not) And the Asgard has a pre-out not a line out
I can connect the TEAC to my Marantz PM7200 integrated amp without problems and I want to make sure that I can safely connect the Asgard 3 to this amp as well, even though my Marantz has a pre-amp built in already?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,249 of 2,863
I don't think you understood my question. My question concerns the Asgard, not the TEAC (which indeed has XLR outs, the Asgard does not) The Asgard has a pre-out not a line out
Sorry. My mistake.

The Marantz PM7200 is speaker amp 1.

Teac UD-301 is DAC 1

Asgard 3 is headphone amp 1

I can't envision why you need to connect the Asgard 3 to the Marantz?

For headphones, connect the Teac DAC to the Asgard 3.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,250 of 2,863
Sorry. My mistake.

The Marantz PM7200 is speaker amp 1.

Teac UD-301 is DAC 1

Asgard 3 is headphone amp 1

I can't envision why you need to connect the Asgard 3 to the Marantz.

For headphones, connect the Teac DAC to the Asgard 3.
The TEAC is a DAC/amp combo, just like the Asgard 3 is going to be with a multibit card inside. The reason I want to connect the Asgard (if I get one) to my Marantz amp is so I can play Spotify and my music library that is on my Mac over the speakers (which are connceted to my Marantz amp)
Since the Asgard has a pre-out I am not sure if I can do this without problems. The TEAC which I can connect to my Marantz amp without any trouble says on the back it has a line out, but their manual says it can be used as a pre-amp, which would mean they marked it wrong at the back. A line out is just a passthrough, no amping is done. So maybe the manual is wrong or maybe it is in fact a pre-out, I am not sure. But anyway, I just want to make sure if I can use the Asgard 3 the same way as I use my TEAC at times, connected to my integrated amp.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,251 of 2,863
The TEAC is a DAC/amp combo, just like the Asgard 3 is going to be with a multibit card inside. The reason I want to connect the Asgard (if I get one) to my Marantz amp is so I can play Spotify and my music library that is on my Mac over the speakers (which are connceted to my Marantz amp)
Since the Asgard has a pre-out I am not sure if I can do this without problems. The TEAC which I can connect to my Marantz amp without any trouble says on the back it has a line out, but their manual says it can be used as a pre-amp, which would mean they marked it wrong at the back. A line out is just a passthrough, no amping is done. So maybe the manual is wrong or maybe it is in fact a pre-out, I am not sure. But anyway, I just want to make sure if I can use the Asgard 3 the same way as I use my TEAC at times, connected to my integrated amp.

The Teac UD-301 has a switch on the back marked variable, fixed or off, if you select variable it acts as a preamp, if you select fixed it is just a line out, if you select off well...it turns off lol. So it depends on what the switch is set on rather its a line out or not. I doubt you would have any issues using the Asgard with your amp, Asgard is very clean so its preamp isnt likely to degrade performance in any way you would notice.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #1,252 of 2,863
The Asgard 3 will do what you want.

The pre-outs are controlled by the volume control so they are not pass-through. If connected to a power amp with a volume control, you will have two volume controls in line and you will have to decide which you want set where.

What I do with my Lyr3 (same setup) is set the volume control on the Lyr3 at a good level for headphones then set the volume on the power amp for a good volume from the speakers, then just use the Lyr3 volume control and leave the power amp volume control alone.

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #1,253 of 2,863
Thanks guys! That was helpful!

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #1,254 of 2,863
I am considering getting the Asgard with the multibit module. I’ve heard that a) the multibit needs hours of warmup time and b) the Asgard gets quite hot. Would I need to keep the Asgard on in order to keep the multibit ready to play?

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #1,255 of 2,863
I am considering getting the Asgard with the multibit module. I’ve heard that a) the multibit needs hours of warmup time and b) the Asgard gets quite hot. Would I need to keep the Asgard on in order to keep the multibit ready to play?
No. The Multibit card is actually bus-powered - my mac recognises it when plugged-in when the Asgard is switched-off. So there's probably no value in switching on the amp/pre-amp section.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,256 of 2,863

a) The multibit card works fine from the get-go, although some say it’s at its best after a few hours of warmup-time. Asgard being solid-state there’s no problem leaving it on all the time if one feels there is a difference.

b) My Asgard3 gets warm to the touch, but not hot really. I would guess no more than 40°C on the top chassis.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #1,258 of 2,863
No. The Multibit card is actually bus-powered - my mac recognises it when plugged-in when the Asgard is switched-off. So there's probably no value in switching on the amp/pre-amp section.
The USB interface may be bus powered but the multibit processor/filter/circuit probably isn't... But I don't really know. I also offer no opinion on warm up times. My ears are far more variable than my Schiit.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,259 of 2,863
If you’re concerned about warmup, you could go with the AKM card instead (the two cards sound virtually identical). Better yet, I’d recommend going with the Modius which measures much better than either card, provides more input options, has Unison USB, and is balanced if you upgrade your amp in the future.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #1,260 of 2,863
If you’re concerned about warmup, you could go with the AKM card instead. Better yet, I’d recommend going with the Modius which measures much better than either card, provides more input options, has Unison USB, and is balanced if you upgrade your amp in the future.
Thanks for that. I do have the modius at my desktop, paired with the 789, which itself passes through to a Little Dot Mkii. I want to create a similar-yet-different setup in my living room and I very much want to go multibit. I’m worried about keeping a hot Asgard on all day in order to keep the multibit ready to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back