Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,231 of 2,862
All comes down to preferences. If your plan was to feed the sac via USB, the modius has a better usb implementation as I understand it. My personal preference is the sound of their multibit but given that I wanted to feed the dac with spdif, I needed to get the modi multibit. But, if this were an office setup, I would have chosen the convenience of having an all in one unit.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #1,232 of 2,862
I'm considering getting an Asgard 3 with internal DAC for home use on my desk, but I'm a little confused what it means that Schiit doesn’t support MQA or DSD.

If you stream Tidal Masters, or DSD through USB to either of the multibit or AK4490 DAC in the Asgard, what does it do with the data?

Are you missing out on anything by not having those formats supported? Or does it still sound great anyway?

The internal DAC cards (both AK4490 and Multibit) for Asgard / Jotunheim only support USB as input. The Modi 3 series and Modius have USB, plus coaxial S/PDIF and toslink optical inputs.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,234 of 2,862
Great, thanks for the feedback.

So this is what does my head in with the Schiit product line up, there’s just so many different combinations of both separate DAC & AMP, and devices that can be both. I thought I was keeping it simple by considering the all-in-one Asgard with multibit DAC card for my first purchase..

But you’re suggesting to leave out the DAC card in the Asgard, and get a Modius separately... which equates to the same $$... so, what’s actually "better"?
I have always found future flexibility (as @Joey B. points out) to be as valuable as what sounds better now. Rarely do people in this hobby buy something good and stop. Separates allow one to upgrade more easily without “starting over”. I also think the used market is better (easier sell) for separates.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #1,235 of 2,862
I have always found future flexibility (as @Joey B. points out) to be as valuable as what sounds better now. Rarely do people in this hobby buy something good and stop. Separates allow one to upgrade more easily without “starting over”. I also think the used market is better (easier sell) for separates.

Thanks for the input, separates for the same $$ do make more sense for future flexibility, appreciate all the comments.

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,237 of 2,862
Too true. I began with B&W P5 Series 2 with my LG V10 and the original Schiit Fulla. That started a journey from Fulla 2-->Magni 2 Uber-->CTH, to the current Asgard-Modius stack. I sold my old equipment on Ebay over time to help buy new things. (I am still a student, so I cannot keep all of them.)
I am tempted to add a Geshelli Erish to use the Modius's balanced out. My MSR7b has a balanced cable that I cannot currently use!

Attachments

• 20200711_132331.jpg
    20200711_132331.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,239 of 2,862
Great, thanks for the feedback.

So this is what does my head in with the Schiit product line up, there’s just so many different combinations of both separate DAC & AMP, and devices that can be both. I thought I was keeping it simple by considering the all-in-one Asgard with multibit DAC card for my first purchase..

But you’re suggesting to leave out the DAC card in the Asgard, and get a Modius separately... which equates to the same $$... so, what’s actually "better"?
I haven't heard a multibit card, so I don't have an opinion of the audio preference on the card option.

I have the Modius, and plain Asgard 3. Wonderful musical synergy.

Modius is the same price as the card, but is a separate device. If I decide to upgrade later, I can sell the Modius as a device, not a component.

The Modius has more inputs than the card (all selectable).

The Modius has balanced outputs.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #1,240 of 2,862
I haven't heard a multibit card, so I don't have an opinion of the audio preference on the card option.

I have the Modius, and plain Asgard 3. Wonderful musical synergy.

Modius is the same price as the card, but is a separate device. If I decide to upgrade later, I can sell the Modius as a device, not a component.

The Modius has more inputs than the card (all selectable).

The Modius has balanced outputs.
Right, I’m convinced.

Either way in the future I could add a DAC card to the Asgard or get a different DAC entirely , the Modius would definitely find another use in my house; kids desk (lucky kids lol), powered amp & speakers setup in the lounge room etc.

Now I’ve just got to convince my house finance committee to release the US$400:)

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #1,241 of 2,862
Right, I’m convinced.

Either way in the future I could add a DAC card to the Asgard or get a different DAC entirely , the Modius would definitely find another use in my house; kids desk (lucky kids lol), powered amp & speakers setup in the lounge room etc.

Now I’ve just got to convince my house finance committee to release the US$400:)
Wife factor? 😉

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,242 of 2,862
Just to make sure. If I would get an Asgard 3 with the multibit card inside I am not able to use a seperate DAC with the amp section? I though the multibit card is only activated when USB is used? Meaning the USB cable is connected to the Asgard.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,243 of 2,862
Just to make sure. If I would get an Asgard 3 with the multibit card inside I am not able to use a seperate DAC with the amp section? I though the multibit card is only activated when USB is used? Meaning the USB cable is connected to the Asgard.

You can. There's a switch in front of the Asgard 3 that controls whether sound comes from the USB input or the RCA input.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,244 of 2,862
Thanks! The last posts in this thread suggested otherwise, in light of future upgrades it would be better to get all seperate units. So having that cleared I think a multibit card as a start is the way to go, if the sound is good enough you're settled. If not you just buy a seperate DAC, witn no need to sell the Modi Multibit.
Well ok, you lose some money, because you cannot sell the Multibit card, but it sits inside the unit, it doesn't take any space.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #1,245 of 2,862
With my music ripped to lossless fed to the Asgard 3 with multibit card then to the Focal Clears it sounds great to me with the option of flipping the switch and having my OPPO 103 feed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back