Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #1,201 of 2,863
I've looked at those, but paying for something that's 25% of the cost of the amp doesn't make sense to me. If I needed something like that, I think I would rather just return the amp and look for something else, sadly.
If I was in your position thought, I would want to make sure that it is a ground loop. If it is, then you will have the same issue with any amplifier that uses a 3-pin power plug. In other words, sooner or later you will have to find a solution to this problem unless the solution is to only use equipment with 2-prong power adapters.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #1,203 of 2,863
I haven't but that's something I could test.

I agree with bboris77 that it sounds like a ground loop issue.
If you like the Asgard 3 or other future 3-prong AC powered amps, then the ifi defender or the eb tech AC isolator would be the best solutions to try.
The AC 2 to 3 prong cheater plug can create a shock hazard under certain electrical failure conditions, and I recommend against it's use.
The Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy amps ($99) use a 2-prong AC wall wart power adapter, so would not have the ground loop issue.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,204 of 2,863
I agree with bboris77 that it sounds like a ground loop issue.
If you like the Asgard 3 or other future 3-prong AC powered amps, then the ifi defender or the eb tech AC isolator would be the best solutions to try.
The AC 2 to 3 prong cheater plug can create a shock hazard under certain electrical failure conditions, and I recommend against it's use.
The Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy amps ($99) use a 2-prong AC wall wart power adapter, so would not have the ground loop issue.

Yeah. I have the Atom amp already and got the Asgard for the extra power. Seems like it might just be best to stick with the Atom and not deal with the hassle.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #1,205 of 2,863
no such issues here

What outboard DAC's have people tried and anyone used AVR pre outs from 8 channel dacs?

interested in the DRA-800H Denon and its dac for my Asgard 3
maybe you electrician types can tell me if thats bad news or not while youre here

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #1,206 of 2,863
My current setup doesn't have an issue because my DAC has an isolated power input, so any dirty power or ground loop from the PC side is isolated. Only amp noise I have is from the tubes, which is to be expected.

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,207 of 2,863
no such issues here

What outboard DAC's have people tried and anyone used AVR pre outs from 8 channel dacs?

interested in the DRA-800H Denon and its dac for my Asgard 3
maybe you electrician types can tell me if thats bad news or not while youre here

8 channel DACs????????
Hmmm...a stack of four Yggys would be cool!! :ksc75smile:

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #1,211 of 2,863
Forgive me if I'm wrong here....quite new to this stuff but isn't it good for electronics like our Amps and Dacs to be warm.....my black Asgard sits on top my black Bifrost 2 and the stack is like a god damn radiator......I didn't think this was especially negative or that heatsinks were necessary. Thought that twas part the reason the Schiit came with AL case

Schiit gear (especially amps) get warm because the whole metal chassis acts like a heat sink.
No need to worry, it’s a lot better IMO than a cool chassis because the hot components inside just have small heat sinks on them that either won’t cool the them as much or will need a fan (with accompanying noise).

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,212 of 2,863
Flip the Asgard 3 on it's side and feel along the right side of the bottom plate in line with the switches and you will find a hot spot. On my unit, sitting vertically, it reachs 125-130F(51-54C). The rubber feet as so shallow that I doubt there is any air flow under the unit, if placed horizontally. The hot spots are directly over the Bifrost 2's analog board, which itself if generating a good amount of heat. I have tried a quiet fan blowing into the vent holes which reduced the bottom temps to 110F(45C) or less. As of now I keep the unit on it's side, given that my room is usually 81F+ or so.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,213 of 2,863
Flip the Asgard 3 on it's side and feel along the right side of the bottom plate in line with the switches and you will find a hot spot. On my unit, sitting vertically, it reachs 125-130F(51-54C). The rubber feet as so shallow that I doubt there is any air flow under the unit, if placed horizontally. The hot spots are directly over the Bifrost 2's analog board, which itself if generating a good amount of heat. I have tried a quiet fan blowing into the vent holes which reduced the bottom temps to 110F(45C) or less. As of now I keep the unit on it's side, given that my room is usually 81F+ or so.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3313#post-15152470

In this chapter, Jason explains in detail Asgard 3’s development, including lots of info about cooling it. I certainly wouldn’t have mine sitting on its side, blocking the holes. For a little more airflow underneath, half inch feet work great.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,214 of 2,863
Even though I put the Asgard on its own power strip, I can still get the ground loop?

That's a bummer.

I obviously don't want something cheap that will affect my sound but spending $79 on an isolator for a $200 amp hardly seems like a wise investment.

This is a serious bummer.
I had an issue like this my solution was an add in usb card to my pc. Most desktop usb ports all share the same controller. I got one on amazon and my issue didn't come up again.
You can also try to use the same power outlet to resolve the issue.

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,215 of 2,863
Still greatly enjoy the Asgard and think its a great pairing with my Aeon 2 open!

Now that I got my Aeon back from repairs and a Modius I spent some time trying out low gain vs high gain on the Asgard and I actually do notice a difference with the Aeon which is interesting because I didnt notice much of one when I had the Amiron home.

I find that the high gain setting sounds more natural,warmer and has a more forward midrange, its a very midrange focused kind of sound. Everything is slightly gentler sounding and the depth of the soundstage is better. In low gain I find it has a more v-shaped exciting kind of sound, that is a bit colder. Guitars have more bite, Bass has a more visceral impact to me on the low gain setting which was surprising, I suspect subbass is popping more. Bass notes a little clearer to me on low gain as well, likely due to the extra warmth on high gain.

I actually cant say I prefer one or the other in general, it depends on mood/music. I think for anything like Jazz or heavily vocal driven music high gain is better, but I find for something like Rage Against the Machine I prefer the low gain. I use it in high gain for general pc use as I prefer the smoother sound for that. Not a huge d ifference by any means, but it was noticeable with the Aeon at least.

Its kind of cool that you get two slightly different sound profiles in one amp, makes the Asgard a very versatile amp!

The only reason I am tempted to try a different amp at all is that I would love to try the Modius xlr out. That is really the only downside to the Asgard IMO, no XLR inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back