The score so far (to my ears)....

LCX - BAL = 10
789 - BAL = 9
A3 - SE = 8.5
789 - SE = 8
LCX - SE = 7
JOT - BAL = 6
JOT - SE = 5

I'll go into more detail later on, but this scorecard basically sums up my overall opinion of these amps. :nerd:

But I will say that the SQ level that you can get from the LCX's balanced out is simply amazing. No $200 amp should be capable of sounding this good! :L3000:
What is the "LCX"?

LCX - BAL = 10
789 - BAL = 9
A3 - SE = 8.5
789 - SE = 8
LCX - SE = 7
JOT - BAL = 6
JOT - SE = 5

I'll go into more detail later on, but this scorecard basically sums up my overall opinion of these amps. :nerd:

But I will say that the SQ level that you can get from the LCX's balanced out is simply amazing. No $200 amp should be capable of sounding this good! :L3000:

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,187 of 2,863

LCX - BAL = 10
789 - BAL = 9
A3 - SE = 8.5
789 - SE = 8
LCX - SE = 7
JOT - BAL = 6
JOT - SE = 5

I'm assuming by "LCX", you mean this: https://www.amazon.com/Massdrop-Alex-Cavalli-Hybrid-Desktop/dp/B07WLNVVDP?

I'm curious, 3 reviews on Amazon, 2 talk about noise?

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,189 of 2,863
I have the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon (which I believe sounds the same as the Massdrop version) and I love it - it is a remarkable amp. I'm glad that Massdrop keeps making it so more people can enjoy it.
I have both, and I think the LCX sounds even better than the original LC.

And the the LC v1 cost $600 and the LC 2.0 cost $800 when they were available.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,191 of 2,863
Cool is apparently relative. My old Creek OBH-11 is cool to the touch, but then it's power supply is not in the enclosure.

My Asgard 3, with a Modius DAC, connected with RCA (good quality Canare cables with Neutrik connectors) was warm to the touch. I guess ~100 F. The Asgard 3 connected to my previous ChiFi Loxjie D10 (a strange looking but good sounding DAC, with Sabre's recent ES9038Q2M chip) was another (guess) 10 degrees warmer. I'll take some direct readings with my IR gun and MM temp probe when my Asgard is returned.

I plan to place a couple of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYYKX7B/ref=twister_B07NY16GJK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 between my Asgard 3 and Modius. Can't hurt.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here....quite new to this stuff but isn't it good for electronics like our Amps and Dacs to be warm.....my black Asgard sits on top my black Bifrost 2 and the stack is like a god damn radiator......I didn't think this was especially negative or that heatsinks were necessary. Thought that twas part the reason the Schiit came with AL case

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,193 of 2,863
Just received my Asgard 3 and it has a humming/buzzing sound coming through my headphones when I move the volume past 3 o'clock in low-gain and 12 o'clock in high-gain. I have a Topping D10 DAC connected to my PC via USB and the Asgard connected to the Topping via RCA cables. I have two other headphone amps, JDS Labs Atom and THX AAA 789, that don't have this issue at all when connected the exact same way.

I tried connecting the Asgard to a different power supply than my PC and DAC but the issue persisted.

Any thoughts on this?

I really don't want to have to buy a $30-40 ground loop isolator to support a $200 headphone amp...

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,194 of 2,863
Just received my Asgard 3 and it has a humming/buzzing sound coming through my headphones when I move the volume past 3 o'clock in low-gain and 12 o'clock in high-gain. I have a Topping D10 DAC connected to my PC via USB and the Asgard connected to the Topping via RCA cables. I have two other headphone amps, JDS Labs Atom and THX AAA 789, that don't have this issue at all when connected the exact same way.

I tried connecting the Asgard to a different power supply than my PC and DAC but the issue persisted.

Any thoughts on this?

I really don't want to have to buy a $30-40 ground loop isolator to support a $200 headphone amp...
It sure sounds to me like a ground loop. If that sound is gone when you unplug the USB from your PC, that will confirm it. Does the noise change when there is video card activity or when you move your mouse? If this is the case, any headphone amplifier that uses 3-prong power cord will do the same thing. The Atom and the THX789 both use power adapters that are 2-prong so they do not create a ground loop. Your choices are a) cheap RCA ground loop isolator that will affect the sound quality b) power ground loop isolator like the EB Tech Hum-X or c) usb ground loop isolator like the Intona which is super-expensive. I have the Hum-X and it works perfectly. It is $79 though.

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,195 of 2,863
It sure sounds to me like a ground loop. If that sound is gone when you unplug the USB from your PC, that will confirm it. Does the noise change when there is video card activity or when you move your mouse? If this is the case, any headphone amplifier that uses 3-prong power cord will do the same thing. The Atom and the THX789 both use power adapters that are 2-prong so they do not create a ground loop. Your choices are a) cheap RCA ground loop isolator that will affect the sound quality b) power ground loop isolator like the EB Tech Hum-X or c) usb ground loop isolator like the Intona which is super-expensive. I have the Hum-X and it works perfectly. It is $79 though.

Even though I put the Asgard on its own power strip, I can still get the ground loop?

That's a bummer.

I obviously don't want something cheap that will affect my sound but spending $79 on an isolator for a $200 amp hardly seems like a wise investment.

This is a serious bummer.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #1,196 of 2,863
Even though I put the Asgard on its own power strip, I can still get the ground loop?

That's a bummer.

I obviously don't want something cheap that will affect my sound but spending $79 on an isolator for a $200 amp hardly seems like a wise investment.

I used an iFi iDenfender3.0 ($49) for this issue involving my G6. Does the Topping have it's own power source? Do you have a self-powered USB hub that you can try?

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,198 of 2,863
This amp pairs amazingly well with LCD2 classic and LCD2 fazor and modius. Great lisenting sessions last few days. When you look and see it's only $400 worth of amp/dac and then hear what comes out... Always makes me smile.

Good bass control and slam, a little bit one note and not highly refined but taught and punchy. No mud or distortion. Great highs also no harshness. Hard to even tell the difference between the 2 headphones as the asgard 3 really does a good job there and shines through.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #1,199 of 2,863

That's a bummer.

You can try using a cheater plug (3 prong to 2 prong adapter) to see if it is indeed a ground loop. If the problem goes away with the adapter then you will have your answer.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #1,200 of 2,863
I used an iFi iDenfender3.0 ($49) for this issue involving my G6. Does the Topping have it's own power source? Do you have a self-powered USB hub that you can try?

I've looked at those, but paying for something that's 25% of the cost of the amp doesn't make sense to me. If I needed something like that, I think I would rather just return the amp and look for something else, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back