Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #841 of 2,857
While I’m all in for everyone enjoying whatever gear they have, I find “old school receivers” worship on head-fi to be a bit too vague and nostalgic. Since I’m older than old school, I know first-hand that they vary from awful to true high fidelity. Fun all around though!

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #842 of 2,857
Do you guys think changing the USB cable which comes bundled with Modi 3 to an audio quest one 3 would make any difference. I saw good reviews on the cable ,shielding etc. Although its all 0 and 1 but forums says it does make a difference as in for less noise and jitter after replacing the cable. Also was thinking same about the RCA ones from modi to Asgard 3. Anyone tried it to see a slight difference or is it just marketing gimmick

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #843 of 2,857
Do you guys think changing the USB cable which comes bundled with Modi 3 to an audio quest one 3 would make any difference. I saw good reviews on the cable ,shielding etc. Although its all 0 and 1 but forums says it does make a difference as in for less noise and jitter after replacing the cable. Also was thinking same about the RCA ones from modi to Asgard 3. Anyone tried it to see a slight difference or is it just marketing gimmick
There isn't a difference in quality USB cables (to USB specs) in terms of how something sounds, note that some "audiphile" cables are not to USB spec and therefore they may sound different because you are losing bits (lol). With RCA cables I've never been able to tell a difference, YMMV.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #844 of 2,857

No dont bother with silly overpriced USB cables, if they make any difference it would probablly be a bad difference as Genck said it might actually make you lose bits if its not up to spec.

It is worth picking up a second micro USB cable for the Modi as you can then use the included power adapter to eliminate the reliance upon USB for power. The Modi is really well designed in that it will register as a powered device if you have the power adapter connected so it will not take power from the data USB connector at all.

I would however recommend avoiding the Amazon basic cables as I find they are pretty trash and actually have had a lot of issues wit hthem in the past. Just get a affordable (like 10 dollar) gold plated USB and you will be fine!

In Japan I love the Elecom audio USB cables but I dont think they are sold outside Japan. They are around 10 dollars and I have had 4 of them now with zero issues at all. I guess some others could suggest some in USA or elsewhere.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #845 of 2,857
I was wondering if you guys think this would be a good match for my HE-400's. I have a Magni right now. But it is lacking in Bass for me. And the sound is a little on the thin side. I want more bass impact. Would the Asgard be a marked difference? Dac is a Bifrost Multibit.

Sorry for double posting!

It wont make much difference I would guess based on the comments Asgard appears to be pretty neutral sounding. Why not just EQ it? The 400s can take massive bass boosts without distortion as its a planar. You will need a beefy amp to do a big EQ but Magni should be sufficient unless you want to listen very loudly. In that case the Asgard might be worth the upgrade as it puts out a silly amount of power.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #846 of 2,857
No dont bother with silly overpriced USB cables, if they make any difference it would probablly be a bad difference as Genck said it might actually make you lose bits if its not up to spec.

It is worth picking up a second micro USB cable for the Modi as you can then use the included power adapter to eliminate the reliance upon USB for power. The Modi is really well designed in that it will register as a powered device if you have the power adapter connected so it will not take power from the data USB connector at all.

I would however recommend avoiding the Amazon basic cables as I find they are pretty trash and actually have had a lot of issues wit hthem in the past. Just get a affordable (like 10 dollar) gold plated USB and you will be fine!

In Japan I love the Elecom audio USB cables but I dont think they are sold outside Japan. They are around 10 dollars and I have had 4 of them now with zero issues at all. I guess some others could suggest some in USA or elsewhere.
Thanks for the helpful Post. I will try to find the Elecom ones. I am based in Hong Kong so maybe I can order online from japan :). I did bought the verbatim gold one but seems that was trash too as sometimes i hear a static while changing songs etc.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #847 of 2,857
I currently have the Modi 2 Uber, Topping D30, and Grace SDAC.

I love the Asgard 3, but I didn't want to be tied down with a card. Im thinking of getting another DAC and I have it down to three choices...

Modi 3 black $99
Topping D50S $185
Bifrost 4490 closeout in black $250

Has anyone actually tried a 4490 Bifrost and is it that much better?

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT MEASUREMENTS. I care about sound quality and tonality. (Sorry for shouting, dont want any ASR comments).

Sell your other dacs and go up a tier to Topping D70. I love mine

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #848 of 2,857
Not quite as comprehensive as I would have wished, as I've been a bit pressed for time, but here is my Asgard 3 review.

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #849 of 2,857
Not quite as comprehensive as I would have wished, as I've been a bit pressed for time, but here is my Asgard 3 review.

Thanks a lot for the review. This has been really helpful. Do these have a different sound signature than the Lyr's to you, or the Lyr's just somewhat more revealing? Deciding between these two amps right now to power a Focal Elex.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #851 of 2,857

In short, no. I've never heard any sonic difference between cables. If I have to buy cables I generally use cables from monoprice.com. They're cheap and they work!

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #853 of 2,857
Old school receivers mostly have HIGH output impedance, having an effect on bass. Isn't it just this that you're "missing" ?
Maybe. I just find modern headphone amps are too brittle and thin sounding. And the 70's and 80's receivers of Marantz, Sansui and Nad have a robust liquid texture they add to the music. The good thing about modern amps is how they bring out vocals. The rest of the frequencies is where I am underwhelmed.

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #854 of 2,857
Maybe. I just find modern headphone amps are too brittle and thin sounding. And the 70's and 80's receivers of Marantz, Sansui and Nad have a robust liquid texture they add to the music. The good thing about modern amps is how they bring out vocals. The rest of the frequencies is where I am underwhelmed.
If you want that added-bass effect maybe look into a good tube amp, which should mimic the old receiver sound.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #855 of 2,857
Thanks for the helpful Post. I will try to find the Elecom ones. I am based in Hong Kong so maybe I can order online from japan :). I did bought the verbatim gold one but seems that was trash too as sometimes i hear a static while changing songs etc.

The classic recommendation is Belkin Gold. I haven't tried the ones I have specifically on the Unison USB, but Oyaide have semi-reasonably priced USB cables which are thoughtfully made.

Thanks for posting! FYI, your Bifrost 2 review motivated me to buy one.

Nice! Leave it switched on all the time for best results. I'm thinking (since it was how I most recently used it) that it will be a great match with similarly priced, as well a somewhat more expensive tube headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back