Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #136 of 2,857
I’m thinking of picking this up for both music and gaming but can’t decide between the two DAC modules. I emailed Schiit and they said that the MB one has latency and might not be the best choice for games. Is that correct? I could use some recommendations. Thanks!
I am actually very surprised that Schiit would say that their Multibit technology has latency significant enough to affect gaming. I would love to know what the actual figure is in milliseconds. I know that my monitor has 10ms of input lag so anything less than that would be totally irrelevant. I have had the Bifrost Multibit for a long time and have been gaming very extensively on it using the optical input and have never noticed absolutely any sync issues.

I have an app on my iPhone called "CathchinSync" which is designed to measure latency by measuring the offset between video and audio. Since I have a D/S DAC at home as well I can see if there are any differences in latency between it and my Bifrost Multibit. I will report back to you guys.

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #137 of 2,857
I am actually very surprised that Schiit would say that their Multibit technology has latency significant enough to affect gaming. I would love to know what the actual figure is in milliseconds. I know that my monitor has 10ms of input lag so anything less than that would be totally irrelevant. I have had the Bifrost Multibit for a long time and have been gaming very extensively on it using the optical input and have never noticed absolutely any sync issues.

I have an app on my iPhone called "CathchinSync" which is designed to measure latency by measuring the offset between video and audio. Since I have a D/S DAC at home as well I can see if there are any differences in latency between it and my Bifrost Multibit. I will report back to you guys.

Our guys are probably being cautious, because we've never measured latency for the True Multibit products. There's probably nothing significant to worry about, even with the bigger digital filters on Bifrost 2 and up. If I find some time, I'll measure it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #138 of 2,857
Slow day, so I calculated it: 23ms for the big boys (Bifrost 2 on up) and 11ms for the card and Modi Multibit.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #139 of 2,857
Slow day, so I calculated it: 23ms for the big boys (Bifrost 2 on up) and 11ms for the card and Modi Multibit.

Thanks for sharing that info - 23ms is not ideal but I doubt 11ms would have any real noticible impact. Then again, I'm certainly no pro gamer it's all casual for me.

Sep 6, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #144 of 2,857
Gotcha, so I’m guessing the DS would be even lower and more neutral sounding?

Maybe Jason will provide the latency numbers, I can't say for certain. As for it being more neutral sounding, I don't really feel like DACs have a great impact on sound signature. Amps can color sound a bit but DACs are mostly about the quality of signal that's being provided to the amp. DACs can effect sound in terms of distortion, noise floor, jitter, latency (as this discussion goes) etc. It shouldn't really color the sound in any meaningful way though.

Sep 6, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #145 of 2,857
image0.jpg
Got my Asgard 3 today may not stack properly, but I've already re-wired everything to accommodate it's size. Must say so far, loving more than my Magni 3.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #146 of 2,857
q
image0.jpg
Got my Asgard 3 today may not stack properly, but I've already re-wired everything to accommodate it's size. Must say so far, loving more than my Magni 3.

it's definitely an upgrade over magni 3!!!! well done your knob looks shinier than mine...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back