Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #151 of 2,863
I think I maybe got a knob that wasn't polished... it's dull... doesn't look like that guys knob at all :/

DO1Goqi.jpg

fmxRLlm.png

Pretty sure all silver amps come with polished silver knob, black amps come with matte gray/silver

Yupp:
No plans for this, though all black products already get a custom knob or button (matte finished, rather than shiny like the silver products.) Except on Hel. But that's black and red. You'll see that at RMAF soon.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #152 of 2,863
The A3 with a dac card have optical input?

I have the mini M&M 3 Schiit stack, and wouldn't mind going with just an A3 with internal 4490 dac as long as it also has an optical input. I don't see pics anywhere though.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #153 of 2,863

I have the mini M&M 3 Schiit stack, and wouldn't mind going with just an A3 with internal 4490 dac as long as it also has an optical input. I don't see pics anywhere though.

There's no optical input on the A3, USB only.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #154 of 2,863

Here's the back with the installed Multibit DAC.

IMG_20190901_110801.jpg

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #155 of 2,863
There's no optical input on the A3, USB only.
Crud. I'm still waiting on a Schiit DAC/Amp with everything I need. The A3 would've been it. Maybe next time.

I need an optical input so I can send my gaming virtual surround sound from a gaming device to the Schiit's dac, and the USB input would be for non-gaming needs.

The mini stack of course has all I need, but I really just want one unit with everything, and would've liked the extra power the A3 has over the Magni 3.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #156 of 2,863
Crud. I'm still waiting on a Schiit DAC/Amp with everything I need. The A3 would've been it. Maybe next time.

I need an optical input so I can send my gaming virtual surround sound from a gaming device to the Schiit's dac, and the USB input would be for non-gaming needs.

The mini stack of course has all I need, but I really just want one unit with everything, and would've liked the extra power the A3 has over the Magni 3.

There’s always the Ragnarok 2

Edit; never mind. I thought it had optical in fully loaded.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #159 of 2,863
Have a M&M3 Schiit combo. If I buy the Asgard 3, do I need any expansion card. I'm using PC USB connection as my source. Secondly, the M&M3 combo can works with the Asgard 3?
A novice audiophile here :smile_phones: . Have a pair of DT880 Pro and ATH-M50x.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #160 of 2,863
Have a M&M3 Schiit combo. If I buy the Asgard 3, do I need any expansion card. I'm using PC USB connection as my source. Secondly, the M&M3 combo can works with the Asgard 3?
A novice audiophile here :smile_phones: . Have a pair of DT880 Pro and ATH-M50x.
This is something that would either replace the Magni if you chose no module or replace both if you bought the Asgard 3 with a card(the DAC). If you want to try it I'd say just buy the A3 with no card and put it in place of the Magni to compare.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #161 of 2,863
My few days old Magni developed problem when using with the DT880 Pro and ATH-M50x :triportsad:. The volume coming out from the Magni is very soft on the H setting. Needs to turn up the volume to nearly 3/4 to hear reasonable level of audio. This applied also to the ATH-M50x on the L setting. This really let me down on their claim of 'assembled in the USA' product. My FX-Audio DAC-X6 from China works without any problem on my headphones. Schiit will replace the faulty one when I do a RMA exchange. This is very troublesome from me as I'm from Singapore and there is no local agent here.

Have to consider if I want to buy the Asgard 3.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #162 of 2,863
My few days old Magni developed problem when using with the DT880 Pro and ATH-M50x :triportsad:. The volume coming out from the Magni is very soft on the H setting. Needs to turn up the volume to nearly 3/4 to hear reasonable level of audio. This applied also to the ATH-M50x on the L setting. This really let me down on their claim of 'assembled in the USA' product. My FX-Audio DAC-X6 from China works without any problem on my headphones. Schiit will replace the faulty one when I do a RMA exchange. This is very troublesome from me as I'm from Singapore and there is no local agent here.

Have to consider if I want to buy the Asgard 3.
Make sure that if you're listening on PC that your software volume or program volumes aren't accidentally turned down. Don't know how many times people complained about low volume with dac/amps only to find their music program or whatever were on minimal volume. It is more common than you think.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #163 of 2,863
Make sure that if you're listening on PC that your software volume or program volumes aren't accidentally turned down. Don't know how many times people complained about low volume with dac/amps only to find their music program or whatever were on minimal volume. It is more common than you think.

Usually I have the volume at half using using PC as source. At this setting, my volume setting on the Magni 3 is at 3/4 to achieve a reasonable listeing level. Is this normal?

This is not happening when I use a FX-Audio DAC-X6.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #164 of 2,863
Usually I have the volume at half using using PC as source. At this setting, my volume setting on the Magni 3 is at 3/4 to achieve a reasonable listeing level. Is this normal?

Ideally you want the source volume at 100% (PC) and then control the volume to the level you prefer on the amp.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #165 of 2,863

Do what Mani said above... 100% on Windows... I have never heard of anyone going below 80% on Windows... your DAC suffers if you go below 80%. Just do 100% to your DAC, and magni should not go above noon on high gain for most cans... unless its like some 600 ohm monsters from beyerdynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back