Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #391 of 2,857
Are there any issues with the chassis grounding with the Asgard 3?

I am interested in getting one as I really like the way the black one looks and initial impressions are that its better than the Magni 3.

I am one of the (few?) people who found the Magni 3 compressed sounding. Does the Asgard 3 have that same issue or is it dynamic sounding?

I have not had any grounding issues with the Asgard 3. I believe I did with the original. I find the dynamics of the sound too be excellent, and I have compared it with the Magni 3. IMO, the Asgard 3 is an excellent sounding headphone amp, and the black chassis looks great!

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #393 of 2,857
Are there any issues with the chassis grounding with the Asgard 3?

I am interested in getting one as I really like the way the black one looks and initial impressions are that its better than the Magni 3.

I am one of the (few?) people who found the Magni 3 compressed sounding. Does the Asgard 3 have that same issue or is it dynamic sounding?

I found the Magni 3 compressed sounding compared to the Lyr3, which is very similar in some ways to the Asgard 3. My guess is you’ll like it better.

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #394 of 2,857
I am starting to lose my bias towards the Beyer tuning and finding the ZMF Classics an increasingly enjoyable pairing with the Asgard 3.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #396 of 2,857
I like my Beyer DT990-600 ohm with the Asgard 3. Haven't heard the ZMF Classics, so can't comment.

I've a DT880-250 ohm and ATH-M50x. Can these pair with the Asgard 3 well? Now using a Topping A30/D30 combo after off-loading my M&M3 combo.

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #397 of 2,857
I've a DT880-250 ohm and ATH-M50x. Can these pair with the Asgard 3 well? Now using a Topping A30/D30 combo after off-loading my M&M3 combo.
I had the M50x and these being very good for it's price, I think doesn't scale much in audio quality with better equipment (same with my Momentum 2).

Probably your DT-880 will scale awesome with the Asgasrd. Maybe someone here with those cans can tell you.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #399 of 2,857
I have not had any grounding issues with the Asgard 3. I believe I did with the original. I find the dynamics of the sound too be excellent, and I have compared it with the Magni 3. IMO, the Asgard 3 is an excellent sounding headphone amp, and the black chassis looks great!

I back that up. No grounding problem. There's a fuzz if you crank up the volume knob to 3 o'clock or higher without anything playing, but that's way beyond crazy high for music listening. Dynamics are great when paired with a HD6XX as well.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #400 of 2,857
Sorry, I have Beyer DT 880-600 ohm cans so can't comment.

What's the different between a 600 and 250 ohm cans? Should I use the low or high gain on myTopping A30?

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #401 of 2,857
Just a larger version of what I have used on my Magni. I find it easier to turn and it allows me to see where the volume is set at much easier.

(my Magni knob)
fEv0nZb.jpg

Cool where did you get that knob? I want one!

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #402 of 2,857
I found the Magni 3 compressed sounding compared to the Lyr3, which is very similar in some ways to the Asgard 3. My guess is you’ll like it better.
"Compressed" is a good description of how the Magni 3 sounds when compared to the Asgard 3 or any of Schitt's better amps (even the older Asgard 2 and Lyr 2).

By itself, the Magni 3 sounds pretty good overall, but once you do a side-by-side comparison between the two, it becomes quiet clear that the Magni 3 is noticeably less resolving and engaging than it's bigger brothers.

The Magni 3 still has it's place. I use one as a compact desktop amp and love it. But if you have some good headphones that can scale, there are definite gains to be had when you move up to one of Schitt's better amps.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #403 of 2,857
"Compressed" is a good description of how the Magni 3 sounds when compared to the Asgard 3 or any of Schitt's better amps (even the older Asgard 2 and Lyr 2).

By itself, the Magni 3 sounds pretty good overall, but once you do a side-by-side comparison between the two, it becomes quiet clear that the Magni 3 is noticeably less resolving and engaging than it's bigger brothers.

The Magni 3 still has it's place. I use one as a compact desk amp and love it. But if you have some good headphones that can scale, there are definite gains to be had when you move up to one of Schitt's better amps.

Magni3 is a great little amp, and sounds great especially together with the Modi multibit. When I got the Lyr3 (multibit) though, in comparison, I could understand what some people were talking about when they said the Magni3 was a bit harsh sounding at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back