1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Aug 28, 2019.
First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last
  1. logboy
    i use optical from my tivo to the mani, coax from my oppo blu-ray to it, also. the usb stumped me - oppo has a type of usb output, but there’s no cable to make the connection, so guessing they’re not intended to be used like that. don’t have a pc to connect into it.

always struck me as odd that amps with built in dac modules only use usb or only have that option. i could have used a phone option more on asgard 3, by the way, as with others in the subsection of the range. essentially i’m watching tv and movies with headphones ... on a tv, with physical discs. have a turntable i would have hooked up, but the separate phono stage is expensive compared to the phono card.

with all the knowledge applied to getting the sound and cost right on schiit, the options on the models absolutely baffles me every time i look at making sense of it. can’t decipher what the thinking was or the application might be for most of it, and the things i have bought were hard to opt for and feel like they’re solutions without them necessarily being intended to be, without them solely being for what i use them for.

Rensek likes this.
  2. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    That would be great, if it wasn't PC ONLY. External devices like the G6/X7 offer a solution for everything, PC, consoles, even receivers (for movies). As for games that benefit VS, any and every game that isn't restricted to 2 channel benefits from virtual surround. We're talking about offering up a home theater in the size of a headphone. Unless whatever you're playing doesn't support multi channel audio, all kinds of games benefit.

Since Schiit is a mostly strict audiophile company, I don't ever see them offering up gear with headphone surround solutions, so we're at the mercy of other products.

Hopefully next generation of consoles will have internal solutions, so that there won't be a need for extra devices. Xbox already has Dolby Atmos, but Playstation is still lacking in that department.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. TeeReQs
    I'm in for an Asgard 3 with optical input. Would love to connect this with my X7 to be able to cover both PC and console.

Rensek likes this.
  4. ev666il
    AH, my PC bias strikes again. I do 100% of my gaming on PC (as well as 100% of my Netflix watching to boot) and routinely forget to consider consoles and other devices. My bad.

From what I could gather, HeSuVi works really well with modern 3D games even when they come in stereo—but I'm not that much into those. I mostly play old-school isometric cRPGs. I tried VS on them but, unsurprisingly, it didn't change anything.

Apologies for the off-topic. Just killing time while I wait for my Asgard 3 to be delivered :D

Baten likes this.
  5. HumdrumPenguin
    But I made the comparisons using the dac and amplification from the sound card as well, instead of sound card dac + Asgard amp. I'm assuming the HD700 is simply efficient, enough to need no more than the Essence STX own amp/dac combo.

6. airwhale
    What do you mean by ”a phone option”? Both iOS and Android based smartphones and tablets will give you USB Audio out. Should be fine to feed any DAC with USB in.

Of course, some sort of dongle may be required, depending on the connector type in your phone.

7. logboy
    phono.

must have been automatically changed on iPad.

8. KukoCL
    For me, the Asgard size is one of the main reasons I'm buying it, because I want something I can carry in my bag to my office that doesn't look too big in the desktop.

9. starence
    I believe the phono module that Schiit sells is compatible with the Asgard 3.

10. treecloud
    Well that is good. Exercising switch contact surfaces can clear up intermittency issues.

11. treecloud
    Well it's interesting we are talking about Asgard 3 size EQ and DACs in this thread. The format and design are compelling - engineering efficiency and aesthetics come together beautifully. I have a desktop stack of Modi 3, Magni 3, and Loki Mini, and when I borrowed the Modi 3 and Loki for one of my 2 channel rigs I sat back and said dayamn, this Shiit is good. I have them stacked on top of my Saga S, and for some reason I can't quite seem to move the Modi and Loki back to my desktop.

Yes an updated Bifrost in the ballpark price range of Asgard 3 Saga S would be lovely. I think the Saga S and original Bifrost (in another system) are the only truly beautiful pieces of audio electronics I own...and that's saying something.

Well I'm not in any hurry...just keep doing what you do.

Hofy likes this.
  12. tafens
    Asgard3, Lyr3, Jotunheim.
    And also Ragnarok2 I think.

13. neoaudiophyte
    My vote would be for the second option, a multi-input DAC the same size as Asgard 3. That would make a very good looking stacked set. The suggested price is also very appealing.:thumbsup:

Hofy likes this.
  14. Mani ATH 87
    Don't even think about releasing a $199 DAC option with multiple inputs that matches the A3 aesthetic. Not after I just bought a Multibit DAC for the A3...not fair my friend, not fair.

15. neoaudiophyte
    Thanks for the update. That hypothetical middle Loki intrigues me.

Rensek, Hofy and Jalsar like this.
First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last