Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #2,611 of 2,857
Thank you.

You make a compelling argument to at least try it but I am lost to know where to even start since it seems to be so much more art than science, at least a science that can be quantified.
For your portable gear the cable is trickier. You would have to be very good at soldering or use adapters to attach to a signal input or output. Because it looks like all of your input and outputs are 3.5mm jacks. Doable, just have to be able to a good job soldering. I have not yet tried filtering SE headphone powered output.

It is more art than science. But that does not matter, what matters is "will such a device improve the performance of a portable device"? I am thinking it will. Just get a large bag of Magnetite, and figure out what open signal inputs or outputs you have?

Ok assuming you do not have unused input or outputs that have an RCA jack, 1) How are your soldering skills? and 2) what unused input or outputs are on your 2 devices?

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #2,612 of 2,857
For your portable gear the cable is trickier. You would have to be very good at soldering or use adapters to attach to a signal input or output. Because it looks like all of your input and outputs are 3.5mm jacks. Doable, just have to be able to a good job soldering. I have not yet tried filtering SE headphone powered output.

It is more art than science. But that does not matter, what matters is "will such a device improve the performance of a portable device"? I am thinking it will. Just get a large bag of Magnetite, and figure out what open signal inputs or outputs you have?

Ok assuming you do not have unused input or outputs that have an RCA jack, 1) How are your soldering skills? and 2) what unused input or outputs are on your 2 devices?

On the Diablo DAC/Amp there is a USB input, 3.5mm SPDIF input, a 4.4mm Pentaconn line out that is also a line in when no digital signal is present to operate the DAC and a 4.4mm and a 1/4 inch headphone jacks.

I can solder adequately well and have some spare jacks and probably adequate wire as a starting point.

The line into the 4.4mm Pentaconn I know is earthed as that input needs a grounded five wire connection otherwise it hums. The 1/4 inch headphone jack is grounded by design and would be by far the simplest to solder a test wire using a plug I have on hand. The SPDIF input is grounded as I used that as a cheater ground when assessing cable requirements for the line input, long story.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #2,613 of 2,857
On the Diablo DAC/Amp there is a USB input, 3.5mm SPDIF input, a 4.4mm Pentaconn line out that is also a line in when no digital signal is present to operate the DAC and a 4.4mm and a 1/4 inch headphone jacks.

I can solder adequately well and have some spare jacks and probably adequate wire as a starting point.

The line into the 4.4mm Pentaconn I know is earthed as that input needs a grounded five wire connection otherwise it hums. The 1/4 inch headphone jack is grounded by design and would be by far the simplest to solder a test wire using a plug I have on hand. The SPDIF input is grounded as I used that as a cheater ground when assessing cable requirements for the line input, long story.
Based on the unused ports I would make two cables. One with 1/4" and one for SPDIF (assuming not optical). I do not know how the 4.4 Pentagon is wired so I would stay away from that. That is one analog and one digital cable. Try on both separately. Do not plug a ground cable into both ports and place into the same bag of Magnetite. You can also split the bag into two separate parts and try filtering both digital and analog at the same time.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #2,615 of 2,857
I just got in a Modius E to pair with my Asgard 3 after using the newer DAC card for the past 6 months or so. I bought the modius for a lyr+ coming in soon, but in the meantime thought I'd see if I could hear any difference between the card and the stand-alone unit.

With the Asgard 3: Modius E has sparklier highs. The highs are immediately noticeable switching between the two (seems to be roughly 0.5 - 1.5 db difference in the 10khz-20khz range). I suspect because of the slight bit more upper treble, the imaging feels tighter. Things sound more detailed, but is that the extra treble or actual resolution improvement? It's hard to say. The overall bass quantity sounds the same, but more subbass than midbass in the modius vs card. It does feel a very slight bit tighter as a result down low. No perceptible changes in soundstage width or dynamics (other than what is caused by more treble and subbass).

Practicalities aside, the choice of DAC could be a final touch to tune your system too. If you are sensitive to treble, the card might actually be a little better. If you want a more detailed and sparkly presentation the modius is slightly better. The card is really a great option for an all in one unit for the price point!

Side effect: the asgard 3 runs cooler with the modius. Not sure if that is because I'm no longer using the internal card, or because the modius is acting as a heat sync in the stack. If I lift up the asgard, the top of the modius is ever so slightly warm while the Asgard is almost too hot to comfortably hold on the bottom.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #2,616 of 2,857
I just got in a Modius E to pair with my Asgard 3 after using the newer DAC card for the past 6 months or so. I bought the modius for a lyr+ coming in soon, but in the meantime thought I'd see if I could hear any difference between the card and the stand-alone unit.

With the Asgard 3: Modius E has sparklier highs. The highs are immediately noticeable switching between the two (seems to be roughly 0.5 - 1.5 db difference in the 10khz-20khz range). I suspect because of the slight bit more upper treble, the imaging feels tighter. Things sound more detailed, but is that the extra treble or actual resolution improvement? It's hard to say. The overall bass quantity sounds the same, but more subbass than midbass in the modius vs card. It does feel a very slight bit tighter as a result down low. No perceptible changes in soundstage width or dynamics (other than what is caused by more treble and subbass).

Practicalities aside, the choice of DAC could be a final touch to tune your system too. If you are sensitive to treble, the card might actually be a little better. If you want a more detailed and sparkly presentation the modius is slightly better. The card is really a great option for an all in one unit for the price point!

Side effect: the asgard 3 runs cooler with the modius. Not sure if that is because I'm no longer using the internal card, or because the modius is acting as a heat sync in the stack. If I lift up the asgard, the top of the modius is ever so slightly warm while the Asgard is almost too hot to comfortably hold on the bottom.

Went on a slightly differing tangent. Have an Asgard and AKM Modius stack. Recently purchased a Modi Multibit 2 for my tube amp. Tried it out of curiosity with the Asgard and it's like an injection of reality. I think I might rethink and run the modius to the tube amp because the Asgard Modi Multibit combo is fantastic ....

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #2,618 of 2,857
Went on a slightly differing tangent. Have an Asgard and AKM Modius stack. Recently purchased a Modi Multibit 2 for my tube amp. Tried it out of curiosity with the Asgard and it's like an injection of reality. I think I might rethink and run the modius to the tube amp because the Asgard Modi Multibit combo is fantastic ....
The Modi Multibit 2 is the best DAC that I've used with my Asgard 3. Much better combination than with my Modi multibit 1, which has different presentation than the MM2. I also prefer the MM2 over the AKM Modius with the Asgard 3. I've also used the Modi 3E, I didn't care for it at all, and the Modi 3 with it.
The MM2 also sounds great with my Drop THX789.
When I use the MM2 with the Asgard 3 it presents a more tube like sound than when I use it with my Vali 2++.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #2,620 of 2,857
I gotta admit out of all my audio purchases Asgard leaves me with the least regrets by far. Had it about 15 months now and still keeps me happy.
Was it still $200 when you bought yours? That's what it cost me at the time which is nuts because it was only a hundred more than the Magni 3. Even at $250 it's a good deal.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #2,621 of 2,857
Was it still $200 when you bought yours? That's what it cost me at the time which is nuts because it was only a hundred more than the Magni 3. Even at $250 it's a good deal.
I got it for $200, shipping + currency conversion/taxes. But totally worth it. And very glad after listening all evening that I didn't sell it when I got the Jotunheim.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #2,622 of 2,857
Unfortunately no... $249 and being Australian $50 shipping. Considerably more but still more than happy. $200 and way less posting would have been quite the bargain.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #2,623 of 2,857
The Modi Multibit 2 is the best DAC that I've used with my Asgard 3. Much better combination than with my Modi multibit 1, which has different presentation than the MM2. I also prefer the MM2 over the AKM Modius with the Asgard 3. I've also used the Modi 3E, I didn't care for it at all, and the Modi 3 with it.
The MM2 also sounds great with my Drop THX789.
When I use the MM2 with the Asgard 3 it presents a more tube like sound than when I use it with my Vali 2++.
The Asgard has that tube like sound without the hassle. So musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back