Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #2,626 of 2,857
Hi guys,

What DAC would be good with Asgard 3?
I would give max 200€.
I don't have option to buy Schiit in Europe.

Many thanks in advance!
But Schiit will ship to you from the US and I believe that shipping might be free. Any of the Modi DACs (I have the 3+) or the modius would be ideal as the synergy is there.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #2,627 of 2,857
With taxes and Duty a Modi 3e may fit the budget

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #2,628 of 2,857
I've used the AKM Modius with my Asgard 3 with good results. The Modi 3 and Modi multibit 1 too. I didn't care for the Modi 3E very much. If possible save and get your hands on Modi multibit 2. It's fantastic with the Asgard 3. In all fairness, I have not heard the new Modi +.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #2,629 of 2,857
I use the MB card in mine. Sounds great!

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #2,630 of 2,857
I tried the Asgard 3 w/ ES9028 module, the same Asgard 3 with a Modius and I settled on an Asgard 3 w/ Multibit. The sonic differences were small enough that I can't be sure they were there.

Most significant differences: the Asgard w/Multibit is quieter (need to turn vol up) and when it is turned off/on the sound output doesn't default to my Mac Mini speakers. This last bit was annoying with the Asgard ES9028.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2,631 of 2,857
I tried the Asgard 3 w/ ES9028 module, the same Asgard 3 with a Modius and I settled on an Asgard 3 w/ Multibit. The sonic differences were small enough that I can't be sure they were there.

Most significant differences: the Asgard w/Multibit is quieter (need to turn vol up) and when it is turned off/on the sound output doesn't default to my Mac Mini speakers. This last bit was annoying with the Asgard ES9028.
I believe the multibit card has a lower voltage 1.5 vs. 2.0 from the external DACs, that is the reason for the slightly lower output volume

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #2,632 of 2,857
Yes the Multibit card has a lower voltage than most external DACs and will be quieter.

The new ES9028 DAC internal card has an output of 2V so is comparable to most external DAC and sounded the same volume to me when I had mine.

One thing worth noting for anybody considering the ES9028 card is that it does draw power from the connected device to power the DAC, the DAC card isn't powered internally. If you connect an iPhone to it will pop up the uses to much power message. I used a DAP with USB-C and a USB-C equipped iPad as the source and both will power it without issue but the battery drain is somewhat high, the iPad battery would be well down after a days use even with the screen off most of the time.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #2,639 of 2,857
I had the Modi 3E and didn't care for it. Perhaps Schiit refined the implementation of the ES9018 on the Modi+.
The Modi 3+ is still available if you care to look for it. For example, here in Australia

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/schiit-audio-modi-3-dac-1

It has the AKM4490 DAC chip in it. Because of a fire in the AKM plant, Schiit had to go to ESS chips. Most seem to think the AKM is superior. However, the Modi+ is still a great DAC for the price See the review here:

https://darko.audio/2022/11/run-to-this-schiit-the-129-modi-dac/

However, if you can source a Modi3+ then grab it.

Feb 9, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #2,640 of 2,857
The Modi 3+ is still available if you care to look for it. For example, here in Australia

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/schiit-audio-modi-3-dac-1

It has the AKM4490 DAC chip in it. Because of a fire in the AKM plant, Schiit had to go to ESS chips. Most seem to think the AKM is superior. However, the Modi+ is still a great DAC for the price See the review here:

https://darko.audio/2022/11/run-to-this-schiit-the-129-modi-dac/

However, if you can source a Modi3+ then grab it.
I had a Modi 3 and a Modius with the AK4493. I'm definitely in the Modi Multibit 1 and Modi multibit 2 corner. The AKM fire was devastating. I worked in the semiconductor industry for close to 20 years and to rebuild a fab and bring all the systems back and the qualifications needed to resume production is a major task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back