Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,581 of 2,857
Asgard 3 with ES9028 DAC module and Magni+ incoming. I will try to compare different combinations including my current Schiit pile (Modius and Valhalla 2).

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #2,582 of 2,857
Asgard 3 with ES9028 DAC module and Magni+ incoming. I will try to compare different combinations including my current Schiit pile (Modius and Valhalla 2).
Might also want to try pairing the Modius with the Asgard 3. I thought they sounded good together. Even though I do not use either now, I could easily recommend the pairing for a excellent sub $500 stack.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #2,583 of 2,857
Might also want to try pairing the Modius with the Asgard 3. I thought they sounded good together. Even though I do not use either now, I could easily recommend the pairing for a excellent sub $500 stack.

That will definitely be one combination I'll try.

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #2,584 of 2,857
That's my current setup, can only say great things about it. Although I haven't tested any planars on it yet...

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #2,585 of 2,857
My one of setups too

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #2,586 of 2,857
Jot 2 IMHO is a better amp
Did you already list somewhere the ways that Jot2 is better than Asgard 3? Even if both are used SE?

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #2,587 of 2,857
Did you already list somewhere the ways that Jot2 is better than Asgard 3? Even if both are used SE?
Not that I can remember. Asgard 3 came first. After Jot 2 was burned in, I listened to the amp in SE mode. The way I EQ, power which allows for ample headroom kind of prohibits the use of Jot 2 SE for me. Balanced is more resolving than SE and Asgard 3. One thing that has absolutely elevated the Jot 2 in my setup is passive signal filtering. Just stunning results. I have not tried this filtering on the Asgard 3 yet.

My recommendation is if using SE only go with the Asgard 3. If wanting to go balanced, Jot 2 is a great amp for the money.

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #2,588 of 2,857
My recommendation is if using SE only go with the Asgard 3. If wanting to go balanced, Jot 2 is a great amp for the money.
Yep, and it’s also worth considering what headphones or IEMs you have or plan to use.

Since getting my Jot2 I’ve kept my A3 and mainly use it on my nightstand while lying in bed reading, listening to IEMs. For this, the A3’s SE on it is just fine, especially for the all-BA ones.

But the Jot2 balanced is quite a significant upgrade for planar & dynamic headphones, IEMs with DDs, and as I’ve also recently found for high-impedance buds. So in this sense, the extra couple hundred bucks for the Jot2 has given me an across-the-board upgrade for quite a lot of my gear.

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,589 of 2,857
I hadn't used my Asgard 3 in a while so I hooked it up to my Modi multibit, original with the firmware update, and I had forgotten how good these two sound together. I also tried the Asgard with a couple of NOS DACs and there was good synergy with those too. All in all a very worthwhile purchase for $200. I'd say it's still an excellent amp for the $250 asking price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 7, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #2,590 of 2,857
I picked up a used Asgard 3 and it was distorting funny in the left channel when using the analog inputs - tried swapping RCA cables, high and low gains - nothing.

Played with the input selector switch a few times and it went away. Is there something for me to clean? I plan on gifting this to someone and don't want this to come back

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #2,591 of 2,857
I picked up a used Asgard 3 and it was distorting funny in the left channel when using the analog inputs - tried swapping RCA cables, high and low gains - nothing.

Played with the input selector switch a few times and it went away. Is there something for me to clean? I plan on gifting this to someone and don't want this to come back
The controls may need to be cleaned with spray air... most likely dust.

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #2,592 of 2,857

Cleaning all cables, tube pins, and contacts with DeOx is routine for me. For problems with switches, volume controls, etc. I open it up and use a safe solvent like electrosolve, turning the switch or control many times.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #2,594 of 2,857
Can I just spray contact cleaner into these switches or are they sealed? Thanks
When we used to clean/repair old units we would apply only a small amount with a Q-tip and clean the area and then rotate the switch several times.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,595 of 2,857

Just be aware that despite the Asgard being wall powered the DAC module draws power from the connected device, it doesn't take power internally.

That means that if the source is batter powered, say an iPad, it will drain the battery faster than you might expect.

The DAC module requires sufficient power than an iPhone will give the message "requires to much power" and won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back