Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #2,568 of 2,857
I want to use the pre-amp out as a line out, what volume should i set, my amplifier has an input sensitivity of 300mv.

thanks

d
you might also set the Asgard 3 to low gain first. depending on the analog source / DAC driving the Asgard 3, high gain setting may be too sensitive on the volume knob before it gets too loud.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,569 of 2,857
Any news or rumors the Asgard 3 will be updated soon? I’m in the market for a new amp and leaning towards this w/ the DAC module. But if a new toy is expected I’d like to wait.

I heard a recent Mike S interview and he said product cycle is 2-3years. Asgard 3 came out in 2019…

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #2,571 of 2,857
I think that the Asgard 3 sits in its own little niche.
Agreed. And if anyone asked I would say pass on the internal DAC and go external with its own power supply.

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #2,572 of 2,857
Agreed. And if anyone asked I would say pass on the internal DAC and go external with its own power supply.
The dedication of, and the quality of, a power supply in a DAC is critical to musically coherent conversion of ‘digits’ to ‘waves’.

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #2,573 of 2,857
The dedication of, and the quality of, a power supply in a DAC is critical to musically coherent conversion of ‘digits’ to ‘waves’.
Yep I agree. And to my surprise I have been recently experimenting with passive signal ground filtering on a Jotunheim 2 and a older NOS R2R DAC and holy crap, the level of performance jump I would not of believed until I heard it.

The other issue is the internal DAC will radiate RFI and EMI which will be picked up by the amp's circuitry. Also the transformer will radiate EMI that will be picked up by the DAC's circuitry. This will mask a lot of information or cause noise floor. The amp and DAC combo works but will not be sonically optimal.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #2,575 of 2,857
Asgard 3 can go toe-to-toe with most amps single ended.

Fully discreet, tons of power.

High quality parts, great warranty, made in USA by people making more than $3 an hour.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,576 of 2,857
I nought my Asgard 3 when they going for $200, only a hundred dollars more than a Magni. That was really a steal then. I have not heard the new Magni+ or Heretic so I don't know if the Asgard 3 is worth spending $140 extra on. Any opinions from owners who have both would be welcome.
Since I bought a Vali 2++ and put a GE 5670 5 star tube in it I haven't used my Asgard 3. The Vali 2++ has plenty of power even for my Sennheiser HD600's and the 5 star tube really made the Vali sing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #2,577 of 2,857
After upgrading to the LCD-X, I found the Asgard 3 warmer than my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlet). The mid to upper bass seems more present on the Asgard. Also, the soundstage is less precise but broader. Instruments are bigger and more enveloping. I also found the attacks and transients to be calmer and more relaxed. Now I want to try a more analytical headphone amp to compare. Maybe a J2 is up next since I could just swap out the DAC card between the two units.

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #2,578 of 2,857
After upgrading to the LCD-X, I found the Asgard 3 warmer than my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlet). The mid to upper bass seems more present on the Asgard. Also, the soundstage is less precise but broader. Instruments are bigger and more enveloping. I also found the attacks and transients to be calmer and more relaxed. Now I want to try a more analytical headphone amp to compare. Maybe a J2 is up next since I could just swap out the DAC card between the two units.
I own a Asgard 3 and a Jot 2. They powered a pair of Audeze LCD-XC (2021 model). If using SE out in high gain, using EQ I may prefer the Asgard 3. Although very similar in tonality, the Asgard 3 has more headroom in SE mode. When using balanced out the Jot 2 wins for me and is what I am currently using. With both amps I was using a Modius DAC (AKM 4493) and then my older NOS R2R Proceed DAP DAC. With both amps in SE mode the presentation is warmer than Jot 2 balanced. This difference in tonality can be balanced with cables, EQ or tweaks. Just my 2 cents and experience with both amps.

Dec 23, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #2,579 of 2,857
I own a Asgard 3 and a Jot 2. They powered a pair of Audeze LCD-XC (2021 model). If using SE out in high gain, using EQ I may prefer the Asgard 3. Although very similar in tonality, the Asgard 3 has more headroom in SE mode. When using balanced out the Jot 2 wins for me and is what I am currently using. With both amps I was using a Modius DAC (AKM 4493) and then my older NOS R2R Proceed DAP DAC. With both amps in SE mode the presentation is warmer than Jot 2 balanced. This difference in tonality can be balanced with cables, EQ or tweaks. Just my 2 cents and experience with both amps.
How do you feel about the dynamics and transients between the two? You're right, there are many approaches to altering the tonality, but very few ways to change the dynamics. I also wonder how the changes in tonality occur when SS amps are always measured extremely close to flat. It's one of those things objectivists say is placebo but most who have been in the hobby for a while have heard these differences without a doubt.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #2,580 of 2,857
How do you feel about the dynamics and transients between the two? You're right, there are many approaches to altering the tonality, but very few ways to change the dynamics. I also wonder how the changes in tonality occur when SS amps are always measured extremely close to flat. It's one of those things objectivists say is placebo but most who have been in the hobby for a while have heard these differences without a doubt.
There are differences between the two. For the money I think the Asgard 3 is a stellar SE performer. Jot 2 IMHO is a better amp, especially if you go balanced and scale the other parts of the system. There are many tweaks that will improve the performance of the Jot2 to take it to a whole other level. The Asgard 3 will benefit from the same tweaks but will not scale to the same level of the Jot 2. Of course, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back