Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2,101 of 2,863
Now is even worse

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-07-06-20-12-08.png
    Capture+_2021-07-06-20-12-08.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #2,103 of 2,863
Any idea on if an Asgard 3 has enough power to power the HE6se?
from specs I could find, HE6se is 83.5 dB, 50 ohms, A3 is rated for 2.5Wpc max into 50 ohm loads, so that should work just fine for typical listening (1.4W should reach 115dB, about twice as loud as a smoke detector), unless you are an extreme base-head. My A3 is driving a set of ~92db planars, and volume control between 8:00 and 10:00 max in high gain with a 2V DAC as source.

Otherwise Jotunheim 2 is 4Wpc into 50 ohms, but you will need a balanced HP cable as well. Magnius is 3.2W balanced into 50 ohms, but practically speaking, 3.2W of Magnius and 2.5W from A3 are about the same max volume level, with A3 actually having a bigger PSU and better warranty.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,104 of 2,863
I received my Asgard 3 with multibit DAC at the end of June. Initially it was working fine, but the DAC stopped working less than two weeks after that.

I started noticing some slight distortion in the left channel when using the DAC. After that both channels became extremely soft and highly distorted. This is when using the USB DAC input. It is unusable now. The amp itself is fine when using the analog audio input.

Anyone experienced this issue?

I’ve sent 3 messages and email to Schiit tech support, but have not gotten any response ☹️

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #2,105 of 2,863
Otherwise Jotunheim 2 is 4Wpc into 50 ohms, but you will need a balanced HP cable as well. Magnius is 3.2W balanced into 50 ohms, but practically speaking, 3.2W of Magnius and 2.5W from A3 are about the same max volume level, with A3 actually having a bigger PSU and better warranty.
Lyr3 also has 4W into 50 ohms, straight from SE (no balanced) :beyersmile:

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #2,106 of 2,863
I started noticing some slight distortion in the left channel when using the DAC. After that both channels became extremely soft and highly distorted. This is when using the USB DAC input. It is unusable now. The amp itself is fine when using the analog audio input.

Anyone experienced this issue?
This definitely is not normal, does it make any difference turning the amp off/on, restarting the computer and/or unplugging/replugging the usb (and also try another USB port)?

I’ve sent 3 messages and email to Schiit tech support, but have not gotten any response ☹️
Not their usual MO, I have always gotten a reply within a day - but I haven’t emailed them after covid struck and that always complicates matters. Wait a few days and try again I’d say (and double check the spam folder if you have one).

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #2,108 of 2,863
This definitely is not normal, does it make any difference turning the amp off/on, restarting the computer and/or unplugging/replugging the usb (and also try another USB port)?

Not their usual MO, I have always gotten a reply within a day - but I haven’t emailed them after covid struck and that always complicates matters. Wait a few days and try again I’d say (and double check the spam folder if you have one).
Thanks for your suggestions! Yes, I’ve tried power cycling the amp, tried different computers, iOS devices, USB cables, etc. All the same result.

Oh well. I hope to hear from Schiit soon. Thanks!

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #2,110 of 2,863
Hello all,

Joined the Schitt family as of yesterday. Got the Asgard 3 with no module + Modius. Very excited to receive these in 6-8 weeks…

Pairing this with the Denon AH-D9200 and Senny 598SE!

Any tips I should know of?
My tip would be to sit back, relax and enjoy it!

Alternatively, get ready to buy a whole lot more IEMs and headphones. :beyersmile:

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,112 of 2,863
I use mine with a few different DACs, Schiit Modi multibit being my favorite, and an Audiolab CD transport. More than enough juice for my Focal Clear Pros. It's an all around solid amp. I prefer it over the Rupert Neve amp I owned and it's a step up from the Asgard 2 in my opinion.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #2,113 of 2,863
The Asgard 3 is very versatile, and can fit many setups. Want an all-in-one? Get an add-in DAC card. Want to keep it separate to have more options? Easy, and it's only $199. Has lots of power and doesn't deal with balanced, so it works with everything. Low gain and low impedance allows for IEMs. Class A biased is just another bonus. And THAT KNOB! <3

SMSL M300 MKII ($239) + Asgard 3 ($199) = $438 for a very solid combo with flagship AKM DAC, and allows for preamps/tube buffers and analog EQs.

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #2,114 of 2,863
Low gain and low impedance allows for IEMs.
Absolutely this, it’s remiss of me not to have commented sooner.

When I first got the Asgard3, my assumption was that I’d gradually build out a headphone collection, cause that’s what All The Power is for, right?

But since getting the LCD2-C last December, it’s been all IEMs. I am just so impressed with how the A3 drives them, especially the dynamic driver ones like the Z1R, 3DT, and Aria in high gain.

Even one of the most notoriously “finicky” IEMs, the Andromeda is an absolute joy in low gain with no hiss that I’ve detected.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,115 of 2,863
Hello all,

Joined the Schitt family as of yesterday. Got the Asgard 3 with no module + Modius. Very excited to receive these in 6-8 weeks…

Pairing this with the Denon AH-D9200 and Senny 598SE!

Any tips I should know of?
Probably super late but - any updates on how this setup ended up being like? I had the unfortunate experience of using an HD598SE on my Asgard 3 which immediately went up in smoke...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back