Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #2,071 of 2,863
Glad that your shipment arrived safely, is in working order, and that the sound is exceptional. :L3000:

I suspect the Audioquest cable might be law of diminishing returns, though.
Yes, that is what the "Passion For Sound" guy on Youtube says, and others too. We will see if I can resist the the temptation. Ouf, if all my problems were this difficult. :wink:

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,072 of 2,863
Yes, that is what the "Passion For Sound" guy on Youtube says, and others too. We will see if I can resist the the temptation. Ouf, if all my problems were this difficult. :wink:
For that price you might be able to score a "usb cleaner" like what the Eitr was. I think that's a better idea than the more expensive cable.
And then better cables.

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,073 of 2,863
I suspect the Audioquest cable might be law of diminishing returns, though.
I agree to that. I dont know about the Supra, but I have tried the AQ Pearl vs the AQ Carbon, and although (in my ears) the Carbon did improve over the Pearl, the difference wasn’t all that much for four times the price, supporting the generally suggested inverse proportional relationship of price increase vs performance increase.. :)

May 4, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,074 of 2,863
B-stock Asgard 3 silver has been cooking for a few days here, and ...... we are not offended. :D

This must be the least solid state sounding bipolar amp I think I've ever heard. Not dramatically tubey of course, but rich, vibrant, true to the music.

I've always liked the Schiit hybrids, but this SS gem is worthy to play alongside Lyr and Mjolnir, and it's not even Schiit hot and star bright.

Attachments

• 20210502_142250.jpg
    20210502_142250.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #2,075 of 2,863
B-stock Asgard 3 silver has been cooking for a few days here, and ...... we are not offended. :D

This must be the least solid state sounding bipolar amp I think I've ever heard. Not dramatically tubey of course, but rich, vibrant, true to the music.

I've always liked the Schiit hybrids, but this SS gem is worthy to play alongside Lyr and Mjolnir, and it's not even Schiit hot and star bright.
+1 for the Asgard 3. It's a great-sounding amp! Rich, vibrant, true to the music - that describes the sound very well.

May 4, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,076 of 2,863

I have had mine too, for 9 days. And I really like it. First time too, owning a system like this.

In the reviews, some people spoke of it being a « discrete » system. Less chips inside. Less than in say a Magnius, and sounding different too. I don’t know what that means, but I really like my Asgard 3.

May 6, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,077 of 2,863
OK so it's both. The Grace is by far the better DAC. I've found that 85 on it's ouput is about the same as the internal DAC. It's much better as far as vertical space goes. I'll have to figure out a way to compare them otherwise. I have a J2 Jnog on the way as well.

May 7, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,078 of 2,863
It's funny how I looked at all the different choices ... the Magni, the Magnius, the Jotunheim ... and after a few weeks I ended up with an Asgard 3. It seems so obvious now that the Asgard was right for me, but I didn't see that at first.

Although, I probably will end up getting a Valhalla 2, also, in the end.

Attachments

• asgard3.jpg
    asgard3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 7, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,079 of 2,863
It's funny how I looked at all the different choices ... the Magni, the Magnius, the Jotunheim ... and after a few weeks I ended up with an Asgard 3. It seems so obvious now that the Asgard was right for me, but I didn't see that at first.

or you can go with a tube preamp like I did, and connect it to your Asgard 3.

May 7, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,080 of 2,863
or you can go with a tube preamp like I did, and connect it to your Asgard 3.
I’m curious to know what tube amp you’re using with A3, how you have it cabled, and more importantly any sound impressions?

I love my Asgard3, but if there is more tinkering to be done I’m up for it.

May 8, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #2,081 of 2,863
I’m curious to know what tube amp you’re using with A3, how you have it cabled, and more importantly any sound impressions?

I love my Asgard3, but if there is more tinkering to be done I’m up for it.
I use a FX Audio TUBE-01. It's a little chi-fi tube buffer preamp, simple, clean, and uses 7-pin tubes. Mine came with GE JAN 5654W pair for $48. Most versions available are the TUBE-03 variety that has Bass and Treble knobs. Mine does not. (Just preference)

Since it's only a preamp, it's very clean sounding, and I love rolling the tubes. I am using a set of Voskhod 6J1P-EV tubes, and I also have a set of Sylvania's. The preamp function allows me to adjust the Line strength to better match my amp and headphone to get the best dynamics. My M1070 planars like more line strength (aka voltage), which is interesting since my DAC outputs 2.1v RMS. Also different tubes have different power outputs, so one set may be stronger than another and you need to adjust the line accordingly.

May 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #2,082 of 2,863

Welcome to Asgard nation!

May 25, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #2,084 of 2,863

Asgard 3 MultiBit just arrived...

Are you feeding asgard directly from the phone? seeing a samsung charger? using hub?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back