Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,696 of 2,863
I've been really happy with the Modius. I've planned on upgrading to the Bifrost 2 but I just haven't felt the need to spend $700 as long as the Modius keeps putting a smile on my face. I know from all the reviews from owners that the Bifrost 2 is a great DAC and I'll get around someday to ordering one.

I've had my Modius for the past few months and really like it. It punches well above its price. 😊

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #1,697 of 2,863
Anyone using a Modi 3 (non plus) with their Asgard 3? I've been considering upgrading from my Heresy to either a Asgard 3, Magnius or Jot2 + Modius, but am thinking sticking with SE may serve me just fine and save me some money rather than buying a new amp + balanced DAC + XLR interconnects all at once.

I love my Heresy but am wanting pre outs to run a pair of powered desktop monitors which has me looking at the higher end Schiit amps.

EDIT: just realized my Heresy has pre outs haha. What a goof.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,698 of 2,863
Anyone using a Modi 3 (non plus) with their Asgard 3? I've been considering upgrading from my Heresy to either a Asgard 3, Magnius or Jot2 + Modius, but am thinking sticking with SE may serve me just fine and save me some money rather than buying a new amp + balanced DAC + XLR interconnects all at once.

I love my Heresy but am wanting pre outs to run a pair of powered desktop monitors which has me looking at the higher end Schiit amps.

Using an Asgard 3 with a Schiit Modius. Great combo. Especially if you purchase them as B stock.

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,699 of 2,863

Magni Heresy has pre-outs (they are turned off when the headphones are plugged in, IIRC)

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,701 of 2,863
Using an Asgard 3 with a Schiit Modius. Great combo. Especially if you purchase them as B stock.
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a few Magnius go for ~$160 second hand as well.

I think if I end up buying a balanced DAC that I'll just bite the bullet and get either a Magnius or Jot2 to pair with it and some balanced cables. I only really listen to my LCD-2 and have a cable with mini-XLR terminating interconnect so i'm not looking at too much $ for cables to go balanced. My wallet would much prefer I stick with my Modi 3 and just upgrade my amp but I feel like if I go that route I'd prefer to get the Asgard 3 as I don't see the point in buying a Magnius or Jot2 and just using the SE output.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,702 of 2,863
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a few Magnius go for ~$160 second hand as well.

I think if I end up buying a balanced DAC that I'll just bite the bullet and get either a Magnius or Jot2 to pair with it and some balanced cables. I only really listen to my LCD-2 and have a cable with mini-XLR terminating interconnect so i'm not looking at too much $ for cables to go balanced. My wallet would much prefer I stick with my Modi 3 and just upgrade my amp but I feel like if I go that route I'd prefer to get the Asgard 3 as I don't see the point in buying a Magnius or Jot2 and just using the SE output.
At some point, if you get another amplifier, consider either Asgard 3 or Jotunheim 2 over the other Schiit offerings. IMO, Jason's discrete low-feedback designs sound better. Driving 16 ohm planars with an A3 via Bifrost OG Multibit.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #1,703 of 2,863
At some point, if you get another amplifier, consider either Asgard 3 or Jotunheim 2 over the other Schiit offerings. IMO, Jason's discrete low-feedback designs sound better. Driving 16 ohm planars with an A3 via Bifrost OG Multibit.
Appreciate the recommendations. I'm leaning towards keeping my Modi 3 and picking up an Asgard 3 to pair with it and being done. The Jotunheim 2 looks really nice but at 2x the price of the Asgard I think it's out of reach for me at the moment.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,704 of 2,863
Appreciate the recommendations. I'm leaning towards keeping my Modi 3 and picking up an Asgard 3 to pair with it and being done. The Jotunheim 2 looks really nice but at 2x the price of the Asgard I think it's out of reach for me at the moment.
I'd go with Asgard 3 and sell the Modi 3 and buy a $200 Modius when you can. To my ears the Modius bests the Modi 3 and Modi multibit, Bifrost multibit, and Bifrost 4490. Purely subjective opinion of course but I've owned all of the above and prefer the Modius. I've also used balanced and SE on the Modius and both sound great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,705 of 2,863

Any of these choices is a sound one. Schiit builds great gear for the money. Best of luck! 😊

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,707 of 2,863
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,708 of 2,863
Wah! :ksc75smile: Still waiting for mine to ship. I've ordered an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable, and will probably perch the Asgard on a very heavy duty, metal speaker stand by my desk (my desk is small). Talk about putting Schiit on a pedestal! Alternative placement would be right in front of me on my desk. Though the cable would probably get in the way of my computer's keyboard.

Anyone else recently order? Is it shipping?

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,709 of 2,863
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,710 of 2,863
Wah! :ksc75smile: Still waiting for mine to ship. I've ordered an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable, and will probably perch the Asgard on a very heavy duty, metal speaker stand by my desk (my desk is small). Talk about putting Schiit on a pedestal! Alternative placement would be right in front of me on my desk. Though the cable would probably get in the way of my computer's keyboard.

Anyone else recently order? Is it shipping?

The A3 seems to be in stock. Recently ordered a B stock Asgard 2. Got it in 3 days from California to NY. I paid for Fedex ground, but Schiit upgraded it to three day shipping
at their expense. The company is great like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back