Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,681 of 2,863
the T1 is rated for 300mW and 102dB, so very unlikely that you will need anything close to the amplifier's max power output (hearing and/or headphone damage very likely). I would expect typical max listening levels in the 9 to 12 o'clock range of the volume control (< 1/10th of max power). IMO, spec-focused sites like ASR don't provide enough data to determine how equipment will actually sound (because present technology doesn't measure the right things and/or hasn't properly quantified the physiological aspects of human hearing).

IIRC there were two versions of 4490 module, the G2 being the newer one with OPA1662 active filter stage. not sure which one was tested by ASR.

New headphones need break-in time also (bass and midrange get a bit fuller, and improved dynamics)
ASR review came out a month or so after I got mine. I am not well versed in the technical bits but the review made it seem like I am undervolting the amp via the DAC?? I guess I should order an outboard DAC to see if I hear any difference. Reviewer made it sound like a pretty bad DAC but on a great amp. What spec am I looking for in a DAC so I don't make the same mistake? Any advice? Leaning toward the jds Atom dac.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,682 of 2,863
ASR review came out a month or so after I got mine. I am not well versed in the technical bits but the review made it seem like I am undervolting the amp via the DAC?? I guess I should order an outboard DAC to see if I hear any difference. Reviewer made it sound like a pretty bad DAC but on a great amp. What spec am I looking for in a DAC so I don't make the same mistake? Any advice? Leaning toward the jds Atom dac.

before spending any more money on an external DAC, try out the internal 4490 with your new (high efficiency dynamic) headphones. In high gain, I expect that your max listening level will be at the 12 o'clock position or lower, nowhere near the amplifier's max output.

at 102 db/mW efficiency (Beyer's spec rating), 10mW will reach 112dB, which is more than four times as loud as a smoke detector (~90dB).

for reference a 100dB signal sounds "twice as loud" as a 90dB level, so 110dB is twice twice (four times) as loud as 90dB.

ASR is great for paper calculations, but doesn't tell you a bit how something will sound (do you listen to music or paper?)

there's a lot of people who spent serious money on all-tube or tube hybrid amplifiers (like Lyr 3) and those have really "poor" THD distortion numbers.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #1,683 of 2,863
My 250ohm 1770's were powered to above comfortable levels but I was always a bit puzzled by how far I could get that knob. Actually about 3:00 position for those. My Elegia was about noon or so at high gain and pretty much maxed in low gain. My overwhelming impression of the A3 is still positive, and I have enjoyed more than a few albums on it. More still yet to come. Wouldve eventually shelled out for a new DAC anyway. ASR did reccommend it just to be clear but with caveat that it not be 4490 dac. I can live with shelling out another 100$ on the Atom DAC if it gets it to near "state of the art" as ASR review said.

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,684 of 2,863
... ASR review ...
As far as I can tell, ASR doesn't review anything. The measurer-in-chief measures things (incorrectly, btw, according to people who use the same equipment) and makes grand pronouncements about equipment based on those measurements. Then the shark tank of acolytes weighs in on that.

I wouldn't rush to replace anything based on the ASR information.

Here's my perspective on ASR: Given the published information would I be able to tell if the device is easy to use/meets my needs? AFAICT, the only thing that site publishes are raw numbers from electrical circuits.

When I'm a cyborg and can take the input directly from an electrical circuit I think then ASR will be useful.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,685 of 2,863
My 250ohm 1770's were powered to above comfortable levels but I was always a bit puzzled by how far I could get that knob. Actually about 3:00 position for those. My Elegia was about noon or so at high gain and pretty much maxed in low gain. My overwhelming impression of the A3 is still positive, and I have enjoyed more than a few albums on it. More still yet to come. Wouldve eventually shelled out for a new DAC anyway. ASR did reccommend it just to be clear but with caveat that it not be 4490 dac. I can live with shelling out another 100$ on the Atom DAC if it gets it to near "state of the art" as ASR review said.

if you are still planning another DAC (which will probably sound similar to what you have now, given a $100 target price range), and are using a USB connection to the digital source, consider a Modi 3+ that is equipped with Schiit's Unison USB receiver chip (in addition to having coaxial RCA and Toslink optical S/PDIF inputs).

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,686 of 2,863

[QUOTE="tincanear, post: 16
As far as I can tell, ASR doesn't review anything. The measurer-in-chief measures things (incorrectly, btw, according to people who use the same equipment) and makes grand pronouncements about equipment based on those measurements. Then the shark tank of acolytes weighs in on that.

I wouldn't rush to replace anything based on the ASR information.

Here's my perspective on ASR: Given the published information would I be able to tell if the device is easy to use/meets my needs? AFAICT, the only thing that site publishes are raw numbers from electrical circuits.

When I'm a cyborg and can take the input directly from an electrical circuit I think then ASR will be useful.

There's a lot of variables that come into play with a stereo system and we all hear differently but I would still rather read reviews based on how different equipment sounds to listeners to help me decide what to buy than read the results of electronic test measurements.
A schiit Modi multibit is fantastic sounding little $250 DAC in my opinion, and the opinions of a lot of owners, but the measurements results aren't stellar from what I've heard. Who cares?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,687 of 2,863
How does the Modi Multibit compare to the Modius? Does one sound better than the other? I should note I'm pretty committed to the new Asgard but, I haven't ordered yet.

It looks like the Modius has more modern connections but, that really doesn't describe sound quality.

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #1,688 of 2,863
How does the Modi Multibit compare to the Modius? Does one sound better than the other? I should note I'm pretty committed to the new Asgard but, I haven't ordered yet.

It looks like the Modius has more modern connections but, that really doesn't describe sound quality.
I've owned the Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit and if I were blindfolded and someone were switching back and forth between the Modius and the multibits I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between them. There was a big difference between the Modi 3 and Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit. I've used both the SE and balanced connections on the Modius and they both sound great.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,689 of 2,863
I've owned the Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit and if I were blindfolded and someone were switching back and forth between the Modius and the multibits I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between them. There was a big difference between the Modi 3 and Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit. I've used both the SE and balanced connections on the Modius and they both sound great.

Thank you very much! That post is super helpful.

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,690 of 2,863
Thank you very much! That post is super helpful.
I've been really happy with the Modius. I've planned on upgrading to the Bifrost 2 but I just haven't felt the need to spend $700 as long as the Modius keeps putting a smile on my face. I know from all the reviews from owners that the Bifrost 2 is a great DAC and I'll get around someday to ordering one.

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,691 of 2,863
@sidpost If you are OK with a separate DAC and amp setup, then I recommend ordering the Asgard 3 without any modules, and get a separate DAC (Unison USB plus additional S/PDIF coax & optical inputs). With A3 and my planars, I can tell a difference between Modi 3+ and Bifrost OG Multibit, and prefer the Bifrost OG MB aka "bimby", this when fed from an old CD player via coax (RCA) S/PDIF digital. I have not listened to Modius (looks nicer when stacked below Asgard 3), so I can't comment on its sound vs the 4490-based DACs.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #1,692 of 2,863
Just ordered the Asgard 3....where the heck can I get one of those volume knobs???

This is what I have on my Asgard3. https://www.parts-express.com/large-aluminum-tapered-receiver---amp-knob-11-matte--240-2222
20201211_113910.jpg

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,694 of 2,863
@sidpost If you are OK with a separate DAC and amp setup, then I recommend ordering the Asgard 3 without any modules, and get a separate DAC (Unison USB plus additional S/coax & optical inputs). With A3 and my planars, I can tell a difference between Modi 3+ and Bifrost OG Multibit, and prefer the Bifrost OG MB aka "bimby", this when fed from an old CD player via coax (RCA) S/PDIF digital. I have not listened to Modius (looks nicer when stacked below Asgard 3), so I can't comment on its sound vs the 4490-based DACs.

I'm thinking I want to go with a separate amp and DAC. That way if, or when, I upgrade I can do one without the other. This also helps with obsolescence and equipment failure as one won't force an upgrade to the other.

I have HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium Planar Magnetic Headphones I want to drive in addition to some other single-ended options that I think will benefit from the Asgard. The question on the DAC is a bit ambiguous at a $200 price-point but, the Modius seems to be well rated compared to some others I looked at.

I have considered a Magnius/Modius combo as well but, the Asgard seems to be the better option. I am receptive to other options as well since I haven't committed to an amp/DAC yet.

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,695 of 2,863
I'm thinking I want to go with a separate amp and DAC. That way if, or when, I upgrade I can do one without the other. This also helps with obsolescence and equipment failure as one won't force an upgrade to the other.

I have HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium Planar Magnetic Headphones I want to drive in addition to some other single-ended options that I think will benefit from the Asgard. The question on the DAC is a bit ambiguous at a $200 price-point but, the Modius seems to be well rated compared to some others I looked at.

I have considered a Magnius/Modius combo as well but, the Asgard seems to be the better option. I am receptive to other options as well since I haven't committed to an amp/DAC yet.

There's Modi Multibit at $250 (but backordered right now thru February) if you prefer R2R style DAC's instead of D/S Delta-Sigma like the 4490 & 4493 are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back