Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,666 of 2,863
+1 that SINAD is not the most important thing to look for. synergy between cans and amp is more important.

both A2 and A3 should have much better bass than the microstreamer (which is likely a chip amp based design given its tiny size). but I think the A2 may be a better match for you as the A3 also has a bit brighter top end vs A2. Consider buying the A2 from Schiit directly on www.schiit.com/b-stocks as these have the full 5 year warranty (lower risk when using your nicer, more-expensive headphones versus a used unit with unknown usage / age). use a short (0.5m or less) RCA cable between the DAC and amplifier.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #1,667 of 2,863
Question: I’m pretty much set on getting an Asgard 2 or 3. Love the looks. I’m getting hung up on which to go with. Assuming $100 for Asgard 2 (used) and $200 for Asgard 3. I have heard that people enjoy the sound of the 2, and I’m not one to go looking at measurements as the deciding factor. Also not worried about the heat from the 2. I also prefer the looks of the 2. Will I regret not going with the 3?

Currently using Momentum 2.0 Wireless in passive mode, and I have an SDAC-B from Drop on order. Considering putting that extra $100 saved toward a Sundara purchase. Any thoughts are welcome.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,668 of 2,863
Question: I’m pretty much set on getting an Asgard 2 or 3. Love the looks. I’m getting hung up on which to go with. Assuming $100 for Asgard 2 (used) and $200 for Asgard 3. I have heard that people enjoy the sound of the 2, and I’m not one to go looking at measurements as the deciding factor. Also not worried about the heat from the 2. I also prefer the looks of the 2. Will I regret not going with the 3?

Currently using Momentum 2.0 Wireless in passive mode, and I have an SDAC-B from Drop on order. Considering putting that extra $100 saved toward a Sundara purchase. Any thoughts are welcome.
That’s a good question. I own two Asgard 2 one in black and one in silver. I’m about to order the Asgard 3 and will do some extensive comparisons to find this out myself. FYI I might have an Asgard 2 for sale soon. The silver one is used but in great shape while the black one has spent most of its life boxed up. I got such a good deal on it as part of a Bifrost combo deal I couldn’t pass it up

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,669 of 2,863

As a new owner of an Asgard 3, I would get it. From what I researched it was a big upgrade from the 2.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,670 of 2,863
That’s a good question. I own two Asgard 2 one in black and one in silver. I’m about to order the Asgard 3 and will do some extensive comparisons to find this out myself. FYI I might have an Asgard 2 for sale soon. The silver one is used but in great shape while the black one has spent most of its life boxed up. I got such a good deal on it as part of a Bifrost combo deal I couldn’t pass it up
I'm interested in more Asgard comparisons :)

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,671 of 2,863
I've owned and used the A2 for a while and liked it. I planned on an A3 so I sold the A2 fast and went to the Schiit site and the A3 was back ordered. I had owned a Magni 3+ before and really liked it so I ordered another one. I've been using the Magni 3+ now for several months and the A3 has been in stock but I'm liking the Magni 3+ so much I haven't bothered ordering the A3. My Focal Clears are easy to drive and the Magni 3+ has more juice than the A2, albeit it's not Class-A cooking 100%. I'll probably eventually order the A3.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,672 of 2,863
I've owned and used the A2 for a while and liked it. I planned on an A3 so I sold the A2 fast and went to the Schiit site and the A3 was back ordered. I had owned a Magni 3+ before and really liked it so I ordered another one. I've been using the Magni 3+ now for several months and the A3 has been in stock but I'm liking the Magni 3+ so much I haven't bothered ordering the A3. My Focal Clears are easy to drive and the Magni 3+ has more juice than the A2, albeit it's not Class-A cooking 100%. I'll probably eventually order the A3.
Ive also been enjoying the Magni 3+ over the last 3 months. As others have pointed out it has a much better treble presentation than the Magni 3. With certain iems the Magni 3 is a bit he upper octaves. Now I want a powerhouse for my Focal Elegia and I’m glad I didn’t jump on the Magnius and gave a second look at the Asgard 3.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,673 of 2,863
Ive also been enjoying the Magni 3+ over the last 3 months. As others have pointed out it has a much better treble presentation than the Magni 3. With certain iems the Magni 3 is a bit he upper octaves. Now I want a powerhouse for my Focal Elegia and I’m glad I didn’t jump on the Magnius and gave a second look at the Asgard 3.

If you get a chance can you try the Elegia with the Asgard 2? I’ve been eying the Elegia & Elex as well. I don’t mind spending the extra $100 for the Asgard 3, just trying to determine how soon I’ll need the extra power

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #1,674 of 2,863

what kind of music do you listen to, and how loud?

Asgard 2 is rated for 1W into both 32 and 50 ohms, so plenty of power for Sundara (for SusVara, which is 83db efficiency on a good day, you need something like the A3). For A2, there are closeout units (brand new with full warranty) on Schiit.com/b-stocks for around $119. While I have both A2 and A3, IMO, the A3 has better imaging and soundstage depth on well-recorded jazz and classical music. hp's are mid-efficiency ~16 ohm planars, sourced from a Bifrost OG Multibit.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,675 of 2,863
I own this A3 with 4490 module. ASR website measured my configuration and concluded the DAC unit was limiting power and listening level improved quite a bit with an outboard DAC albeit they were using a pricey rme model. I have BD T1 600ohm cans set to arrive monday and wonder if I will see they same power improvements with a JDS atom dac??? I am a layperson in these technical matters.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,676 of 2,863
Just a larger version of what I have used on my Magni. I find it easier to turn and it allows me to see where the volume is set at much easier.

(my Magni knob)
fEv0nZb.jpg
Just ordered the Asgard 3....where the heck can I get one of those volume knobs???

Jan 1, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,677 of 2,863
I own this A3 with 4490 module. ASR website measured my configuration and concluded the DAC unit was limiting power and listening level improved quite a bit with an outboard DAC albeit they were using a pricey rme model. I have BD T1 600ohm cans set to arrive monday and wonder if I will see they same power improvements with a JDS atom dac??? I am a layperson in these technical matters.

the T1 is rated for 300mW and 102dB, so very unlikely that you will need anything close to the amplifier's max power output (hearing and/or headphone damage very likely). I would expect typical max listening levels in the 9 to 12 o'clock range of the volume control (< 1/10th of max power). IMO, spec-focused sites like ASR don't provide enough data to determine how equipment will actually sound (because present technology doesn't measure the right things and/or hasn't properly quantified the physiological aspects of human hearing).

IIRC there were two versions of 4490 module, the G2 being the newer one with OPA1662 active filter stage. not sure which one was tested by ASR.

New headphones need break-in time also (bass and midrange get a bit fuller, and improved dynamics)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,678 of 2,863
I just ordered the Asgard with the True Multi-Bit. I plan to run it off my Apple M1 MacMini. Those familiar with the M1 MacMini know there are not a lot of USB ports.

I'm wondering if it would be okay to run the Asgard via a computer OWC USB Thunderbolt 4 dock (just released)? Am I going to turn my Schiit crappy? Sorry, I couldn't resist...but my question and concerns are real. Also would an Audoiquest Jitterbug anti-noise USB adapter be okay? I'll be running Tidal.

Its been a long time since I purchased a DAC/AMP. My other computer workstation is still sporting the old PS Audio GCHA and Musical Fidelity M1, which I love. It will be interesting for my own purposes to compare the two setups. I needed a smaller rig for my smaller second computer desk.

Oh, I forgot to ask, I've tapped into a lot of online/YouTube reviews. Has the Asgard 3 changed since its introduction?

Happy New Year everyone, I'm glad this thread is still going strong!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #1,680 of 2,863
AFAIK Asgard 3 has remained the same since the introduction 1-1/2 yrs ago in mid 2019. not sure when the 4490 DAC module went to G2 version, though.

IMO, A3 is a big upgrade from A2.

chain: old CD player via coax s/pdif --> Bifrost OG Multibit --> A2 or A3 --> low-Z (16 ohm) planar headphones when listening to well recorded jazz or classical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back