Scary News About Super Audio CD!
Sep 16, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #46 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Accuracy in reproduction is the goal of an audio specific system so any attempts at artificial signal manipulation looked at for the reality of what they are.I also find it a bit comical that so called "audiophiles" who run away from any manipulation of the signal at their end (tone controls,filters,crossfeed mechanisms) have no problem at all with adding something in that is a totally artificial event having nothing to do with reality while the former only "tweaks" what is already there.Seems to me that is giving to much control to others who may or may not have a clue as to what my personal prefernces and audio sensibilities may be.

Yes, I agree that all those MANIPULATIONS to create the 5.1, 6.1, ...,9.1 using tracks introduces a good deal of ARTIFICIALITY
blink.gif
in the sound!
I've tried to understand this myself in the thread I've started about DOWNMIXING .... SACD. The really NATURALLY sounding multichannel "end product" can only be obtained via MULTICHANNEL RECORDINGS
blink.gif
(multiple mics, etc.).

By the way, I've browsed through many books about enginering (mixing, mastering, ...) of recordings, and I've got the impression that there is a VERY LITTLE INTEREST
blink.gif
in producing real MULTICHANNEL RECORDINGS!
Very few people in the music industry UNDERSTAND and are interested in the MULTICHANNEL sound! This lack of interest is a major contribution to the failure of the Super Audio CD.
blink.gif

There NOT too many multichannel recordings, so WHY someone would buy a SACD with music in which she/he is NOT interested? People simply do NOT buy!

See you on the Multichannel
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

Sep 17, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #47 of 115
Quote:

like multichannel audio, but it isn't the same as stereo was to mono.

Probably posted on this before but if not then here is my experience with multichannel audio FX in general from the 1970s until the present time.

[size=small]THE MINI HISTORY OF MULTICHANNEL AUDIO[/size]

*****WARNING : Very long and very boring descriptions to follow.Read this at your own risk but do not say you were not warned so if you b*tch I am not listening.I also realise I more than likely have numerous spelling and grammatical errors to follow but my brain works faster than my typing skills.This is far too much for me to even contemplate an edit
tongue.gif

Three Channel audio :

All early integrated amplifiers and preamplifiers had a L/R sum center channel output.There were no three channel amps that I know of but all line level control devices were so if you wanted three-channel stereo a basic mono amplifier was needed plus an additional speaker.
the reason for this "third channel" was twofold :
1-many recordings were three channel recordings and the only way to accurately reproduce what the recording engineer heard in the home was to recreate the same type of setup.three mics=three loudspeakers (see my previous point about mutli-channel audio reality).
2-Most loudspeakers of the day had very limited high frequency dispersion and in fact beamed the high notes over a fairly narrow range.This "fix" was to simply toe in the loudspeakers through trial and error until the image was locked.
In a large room where the speakers would be placed at the extreme left and extreme right the distance would be so great that no amount of toe in would help so the solution was to add a third identical loudspeaker to fill in this "hole" in the middle of the stereo image.Adjusted properly this was the best solution and is the method used in the movie theaters since the 1930s.

Ambience Extraction :

David Haflers Dyna-Quad ,DIY version.This simple device is one additional loudspeaker connected between the + speaker terminals of the L and R channels on the amp.One one connection a 25 ohm rheostat is added for controlling the volume of this rear channel.
What this matrix does is to extract the L-R out of phase ambience information that may or may not be present in the recrding so it adds nothing artificial but simply extracts what is already there-----or not.
With live recordings it was a very nice add-on but with studio recordings not so good.
Downsides ? The rear speaker needs to have more distance between the speaker and the listener than doers the main left and right channel speaker pair or it will be the first signal heard and dominate the soundfield.This "dominance" totally blows any shot at a good stereo image so it is essential to get distance.
Problem #2 is the rear signal is full range and should have a falling frequency response at the high end of the scale as in real life where high frequencies have a greater attentuation with distance than do low frequencies though back then we did not know this (at least I did not.Hell,I was only friggin' 14 and there was no internet for information dispersal ).So because I had no clue I ran this puppy flat out and full range which in hindsight was another reason for the front image to wander of point with certain recordings.
Flaws and all it was a keeper and stayed "in system" to be used mainly with live recordings.
Second generation dynaquad circuits used two rear speakers instead of the one though the single rear device worked more than well.

Quote:

SIDEBAR

Highly recommended for "poor mans" surround but I would add a 7khz low pass filter to the rear channel feed and instead of aiming the additional speakers directly at the listening position aim them at each other across the room.This make for a far more realistic and diffuse sound fileld.One that adds and blends but does not draw attention as a source of sound,as it should be.
Add in the above three channel stereo matrix and you have a totally passive surround sound system on the cheap ! One that will in many cases blow the DSP/active circuit based device right out of the water though it is very placement sensitive.Since you no longer have all the "artificial" controls manipulating the soundfield you need to do it the old school way
tongue.gif
ositioning and volume attenuation.
The ONLY thing missing to have a true surround matrix is the 20-30 ms audio delay but if you happen to have a room that has a back wall 20 feet away,rare but not unknown,you have in effect just added a 20ms delay and you will be right on spec without adding a single active device !

Quadraphonics :

STAGE #1

So I am reading all the articles on quad sound,followed and tried to understand all the technobabble,attempted to make sense of all the graphs showing direction cues and degree of change,was swamped in all the graphs saying why "this" matrix was better than "that" matrix and there being so damn many choices I had no idea which way to jump or even if i wanted in but seemingly THIS was the way of the future.After all,the experts said so so it must be true right ?
wink.gif

Format wars V-1 !
So when my copy of Popular electronics arrived in the mail and the cover story was "Build This Universal Quadraphonics Decoder" I was in !
Hell yes ! The "Universal" part said i did not have to crap or get of the pot but could actually get my hands dirty building something and listening for myself.Life was very cool in ricksville that day.
The device was an Electro voive EV-44 Universal Quad Decoder and from memory build price was like $50.Actually a lot in 1974 dollars considering minimum wage was like $1.50/hour (from memory and may not be exact
tongue.gif
).
So I order the chips but not the pcb deciding instead to do a perf board version so I an update later (damn good thing too !),i build the sucker but when I go to test it no damn quad recordings !!!!!!!
I was so into the build I forgot to purchase a recording that I could use it with ! (later this became a non issue when ALL LPs from CBS/columbia were matrixed quad LPs as were many other labels offerings.This said to me and others that we had a standard but that was dead wrong as I/we all know now)
Eventually I get everything going and am prepared to be "wowed" but man,what a frikkin rip ! It was no beeter than my passive Dynaquad !

What ????????????

Later I found out that in reality this and most other "Quadraphonic Matrix Decoders" were in fact glorified Dynaquads but at the line level and active rather than at the speaker level and passive.This is progress ?
confused.gif

Stage #2

Popular electronics to the rescue again :

[size=small]"Add Logic Steering to your Universal Quad Decoder"[/size]

COOOL !!!!

Maybe now this puppy will live up to the hype.This "upgrade" added a logic steering chip to the basic matrix chip and in theory would move the dominate directional sound encoded into the disc to that speaker at a higher volume thus enhancing the effect.

Quote:

SIDEBAR #2 : for the "tech heads"

This was simply an additional chip on the output of the original matrix chip.This add-on took the input signals and pssed them to both the input of an FET and also rectified each of the four audio line level outputs making the signals a DC voltage (Audio is AC) which was then used as the control signal for FET VCAs.Once a certain threshold was reached at the rectified input the output signal was increased by a gain factor of X2 making the FET audio output of that channel play louder than the other three.This is how it was done then,this is how it is done now.

and to be honest it did all it said it could but still it sucked.
Matrix surround was becoming a damn gimmick and once logic steering introduced this "gimmick" even more transparent for what it was.The promise of increased "realism" never actually happened because the idiots in charge had no freaking idea.what they had was a toy without instructions so the attitude was anything goes and it did.
NO stereo image to speak of,directionals making no sense at all,bleed through from one channel to the other screwing with the image even more,a fkn nightmare though a fun toy at parties to show off how cool you were.In the closet it went,back in went my simple "extra two speakers and a pot" hafler setup
icon10.gif

STAGE #3

Matrixed Quad was slipping even though every major manufacturer of note was pushing the technology and some major record labels were making ALL offerings in matrixed Quad even though they never asked the consumer if they wanted in (sound familiar ?).The real problem was the sheer amount of proprietary decoding methods which if the manufascturer was also hooked up to a record label (CBS SQ/Columbia records) you had to have a compatible decoder just to play the recording back as intended.
CBS had SQ,Sansui QS (
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
),Electro Voice EV44,and on and on.All claimed cross-platform "universal" compatibility but since they were both pushing their own version and had no access to the intellectial property designs of a competing manufacturer this was a total comprimised and not a true universal solution so the only way to actually play back your record collection as intenede by the record company was to go out and purchase a decoder of each type !
Then the real fun would start.Upon purchasing a new record you had to read the back fine print so you knew exactly which method was used for the Quad encoding so you knew which decoder to actually use.Bypass decoder-A,bypass decoder- B.decoder-C "in".FKN nighmare but what choice ? the discs WERE encoded and if you wanted to play them back as intended you needed to decode them
rolleyes.gif

So no decoder was actually a "Universal" decoder except for one.yup,the original Hafler dynaquad which all matrixed decoders were based on.My simple little DPDT toggle switch/25 Ohm Rheostat/Extra speaker Pair accomplished the same thing as all the various decoders/extra stereo amplifier/extra stereo speaker pair !
something like $50 vs. $500 when it all added up so i sold everything but my little Radio Shack project box decoder
cool.gif

Stage #4

Matrixed Quadraphonics was losing steam and no amount of last gasp efforts by the record labels or equipment manufacturers was going to save it.No one was able to justify the added expense and system "sprawl" for such a flawed technology until......................

DISCRETE FOUR CHANNEL !!!!!

Yeah Baby ! This is the one ! Right ? I mean jeez.we have all these geniouses telling us quad is the future and that we need to get on board or be left behind so get with the fkn program jerky ! The future is NOW !

OK.So now I need to sort out this "new" technology but upon doing the research it comes to me this is not only nothing new but something we "audio geeks" (and yes,card carrying baby since the age of 13
tongue.gif
) always had right there in front of us.

The "Four Track Reel-To-Reel Record Deck".

Only now instead of mixing those four tracks down to a single stereo track we would use those four tracks going to four "discrete" channels.that is four amp channels and four speaker channels.These guys were not going out without a bang and they were determined to sell you and extra stereo power amplifer and an additional set of stereo speakers no matter what !
Sounded good on paper but the problem here was that not everyone had or wanted an open reel deck.Unlike the LP you had to go through steps to not only load up the tape but to set bias levels according to the tape formulation,had to demagnetise the heads from time to time,had to run periodic maintainance on the deck,etc.In a word "WORK" was involved and we all know humans are a lazy beast at heart so while those of us who tried to buy into the matrixed quad revolution already had the extra amp and speakers and being geeks had a four track recorder front and center gave it a shot,Joe main street took a pass.It also should be noted that the equipment manufacturers never really got behind this one on a large scale.They were too busy scheming on..........

Stage #5 !

CD-4.discrete four channel sound for the LP record !

Now here wwas something the equipment manufacturers could get behing because in order to buy into this one you not only needed a CD-4 decoder ($$$$) but you also had to replace your phono cartridge with one that could pick up frequencies in the RF range off the disc ($$$$$) ! (for those of you who think the LP has limited frequency resp[onse think about that one for a minute).
This "new" cartridge meant for the first time in many years there was some actual serious research into the stlus tip shape and the first (from memory) that came out was the "Shibata" stylus tip to be followed by the "stereohedron" and other such designs.The DID get nore information out of the groove but at what cost ?
Record wear is what !
Because they so closely modelled the original record cutting machine cutting lathe tip these new cartridges were on the edge of play/cut at any given moment and that is not good in a medium that depends on a mechanical interface to produce sound (as in the original edison discs) but at reduced wear for disc longevity.They worked as advertised flaws and all but by this time most were just flat out disinterested due to the long term format wars and the industry indecision (again,sound familiar ?).New LP discs were offered in either "stereo" (sneakily still matrixed quad but no labelling saying this) and "CD-4" but this also was a big time mistake.Too many choices,consumer distrust,gimmicky sound.manufacturer in fighting,a mess and the Quad Era was at an end.Back to my little box
cool.gif

BTW-My CD-4 decoder was again a Popular electronics project but this time the decoder was a kit by SWTPC.This POS I actually tossed out the window of my Barracuda on a back country road.always wondered if someone found it,took it home,then gunned ot right out the door after trying it out
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW #2-I still have a CD-4 version of Apostrophe' kicking around here somewhere though i presently have no way to play the disc in quad so more of a curiosity/reminder from a bygone time when the equipment manufacturers and record labels got just a bit out of hand and tried to force feed the public a technology that was not close to ready for prime time.This particualr recording is one of those "gimmick" recordings and has content that comes from strange directions and has zero connection with reality.fun and exiting on the first few plays,boring as hell after a while and very tiring to listen to for exteneded periods.
Exhibit "A" in the archives of "don't give me no artificial speacial effects,just gimme the damn music straight jerky"

Quote:

SIDEBAR #3

The only good thing to come from the Quad experiments was the wealth of research into multichannel audio by some damn smart folks and the research into phono cartridge stylus shape and with it information retreival from the grooves of the LP disc.Once the problem of wear was recognised this new tip shape was modified into what is now used in damn near ALL high end cartridges so the overflow technology from quad actually had some real world use.

Ambience Extraction :

With Quadraphonics being a rapidly fading memory I was very surprised when I opened my just arrived issue of Popular Electronics (yes,same rag folks.At one time if you wanted the straight poop this was the place to get it and I still miss the magazine immensely,but not "computers and electronics which it became before it died,along with Audio Magazine.The other cutting edge Audio electronics/DIY/Tecnical background/product review rag of the era) and right there on page 12 or something (right after the "NEW" section though the name of the column eludes me right now) was a photo off a wall of AR speakers and the caption "New Frontiers in multichannel sound" (or something like that.It WAS over thirty freakin' years ago so cut a little slack
wink.gif
).
The article went on to explain how research up at Cambridge Mass. into bringing the concert hall experience into the living room determined this could be accomplished by using 16 discrete electronically delayed channels scattered throughout the room,placed according to that individual channels delay time (length of distance path) and bandwidth (high frequency rolloff).They came to this magic number of 16 through long term experimentation but hinted that a so far unknown company by the name of Audiopulse was at that time in the process of designing a device that would come damn close using only two addtional channels (sounds like quad to me dammit !These knucklheads are like a damn dog with a slipper,never let go !
rolleyes.gif
).
So I read the article and am interested.This is not quadraphonics revisited but an entirely new thing and from the article all reports from some highly respected folks is a consensus positive.full thumbs up.Now i want in but I had no clue at all how to go about building such a device.one that they kept some of the details on just for that reason with everything being almost comical in the "if we tell you we have to kill you" tone but that is for the civilians.Those who know circuits and understand the "why" could get enough information to fill in the blanks solo and without the added fluff but that still was no aid.
In order to emulate what was being done you had to have access to the technology and at that point digital audio was non-existant so parts not available.to try and use individual logic chips to construct a digital audio delay line was off the "to do" list because it was not a workable solution.Interest peaked but figuring it will be a blip and pass into memory like so many other things and I will just go back to my dynaquad box and listen to music instead of sweating the details.
But it was not a "blip".At that time i subscribed to Popular Electronics,Radio Electronics,stereo review and a few other and across all these magazines a common theme was starting to come .

"Get ready because digital ambience extraction is coming to a living room near youi soon"

The first product was the Audiopulse model One.Push button delay level selection,rear channel high frequency cut selection (woke me up to the fact that I needed this on my D-box),rear channel level controls,$1,000 out the door !
Over my head at the time though from reading all the background i wanted in.There were "hints" that a model 2 was being designed that not only would be cheaper,not only would the controls be easier to use but it would also add a two channel power amp for the added speaker channels !
and all for "only" $500 ! (I purchased one and still have it
icon10.gif
)
What this device was is a digital delay line that delayed the audio signal by a certain amount that relatd to distance or "hall size".

50ms=50 feet,100ms=100 feet etc.

Additionally it had "taps" at various increments along the line of the delay which were mixed together as one at the output.what this did was to simulate the "16 channel wall of sound" by adding all those additional shorter delays formerly using discrete speakers in the original AR setup.This part is very important because with a single delay representing the longest path you end up with reverb or echo which is no more than an effect but with multiple taps representing various levels of delay you fill in the "gaps" between the direct sound of the front stereo pair and the full delay representing the back wall of the original venue of the performance.
The audiopulse Model One was in some ways a higher end machine but the Audiopulse model 2 more of a "finished" product so it sold fairly well and this was noticed by other equipment manufacturers.
In rapid succession products were being offered by Advent in their "Sound Space Control",by ADS and several others and the product sold.Many already had an additional stereo amp and speakers kicking around from earlier Quad experiments so system integration was easy plus here finally was a product that added nothing to the sound that was not already there but only extracted content present in the recording (L-R mono delay channel with selective phasing to decorrelate the left and right delay channels
tongue.gif
).even an audio purist could get behind this one becuse it did absolutely nothing to the main stereo signal so when it was off was totally off and had zero effect on stereo reproduction.

Quote:

SIDEBAR

KOSS came out with a version that was actually pretty good but the cool part was KOSS being predominately a headphone manufacturer added two front panel "4CH Mix" jacks that took the front and rear channel content and mixed it down to a 2CH signal for headphone monitoring.It worked and sounded pretty much better than any "headphone surround" I have heard to date other than my own DIY efforts.There was no center image but since there was no known "surround sound" at the time you did not miss something not yet invented.
smily_headphones1.gif

Drawbacks ? It only worked well with live recordings that already have this L-R content inherent to the recording and some studio recordings also having this content though this part was more crap shoot than anything so results all over the map.
We finally a medium that would expand the space of the home listening environment that did more good than harm.Not perfect but not too shabby either.all that original quad research did not go to waste and was in fact brought forward and "tweaked" while the lessons of the format wars V1 not fogotten.

WRONG !

Not happy with fine tuning and extending/improving this new concept that for the first time (well since Hafler D-Q anyway
tongue.gif
) extracted ambient content without harming the original stereo signal these as*holes could not leave crap alone and just had to go muck it up.
Extracting ambience was not enough.Oh Nooooo.They needed to sythesize ambience for those recordings that had zero L-R content.why settle for part time ambience when you can have your cake AND eat it too ?
So generation ll ambience ambience simulation machines were born.This is where things got screwy.Not learning crap from the former Quad-Wars there were now machines from maybe twenty or so major manufacturers but some were "Ambience Recovery",some were "Ambience Simulation" and some were "All Purpose ambience recovery and Simulation" machines.Now we had a very confused consumer,
still gun shy from the quad experience they were slow to take things on face value again just because the ad copy said they should but if they just stayed with one method maybe there would have been a standard that could have grown into a staple but by having too many options,too many decisions left to the mostly non technical ignorant consumer and a too complicated cotrol structure this also went the way of the dinosaur even though a good idea and with good intent.The idiots were on to something but they fked it up and lost big when the consumer said "No thanks.I'll keep mine stereo dude"
Another possible class of product shot down in flames for this time no good reason other than greed and idiocy but now I had two devices in my system that i could play with while still retaining the basic purity of two channel audio :

1-Passive ambience extraction :Hafler device
2-Active ambience extraction : Audiopulse Model 2 (Line level dynaquad with delay.That is what ALL multichannel ambience/quad units really are at the core
wink.gif
)

So multichannel audio in the home was a dead subject and the public fed up with all the manufacturer lies/formats/indecision.They wanted no ore and even the thought or mention of multichannel audio would get you laughed at at best and not taken seriously or at worst the idea met with anger and derision.Fool me once shame on you.Foll me twice shame on ME but the problem was we were ALL folled too many times to count and first offered no choice then too many and combined with the ad copy a very confusing state even for thosde who knew what was actually what.
I could go into the various decoders/methods.Mention that the benchmark was the best out there,that the Tate Steering logig a huge step foward,mention the competition between digital delay and analog "bucket brigade" delay,etc.,etc,.but to no point other than to cloud this present post and in the end confuse as much as it clarifies-as was with the manufacturer ad copy.No matter what feature are touted it still comes down to in house listening so reading all the detils mostly no more than self serving to the company wanting you to buy their product.Never will you read "the other guys product is far better but I still would like you to buy mine so I can make a buck or two also considering how much loot is out there to be had from suckers...um I mean customers......"
icon10.gif

So four channel audio is finally dead and buried .Long live stereo !

Oh wait ! What's that I hear ? you say something man ? sounds like it is coming from behind me !
confused.gif

Surround sound

Marketing genious but nothing new in technology.

Take the original Hafler Dynaquad L-R ambience extractor,mate it to an Audiopulse type digital delay but at a single standard of delay time,toss in a center channel as has been done since the very beginning of theater sound and for good measure toss in a Dolby NR circuit for a solid rerar/side channel noise spec

SIDEBAR :

At the recording end

But do NOT aim this at the audiophile or equipment geek,not even Joe Public but aim it squarely at Mrs.J.Public ! you get the woman of the house interested and the man has no choice but to fall in line if only to keep the peace and have a harmonious family experience !
Not just that but who does not like the movies ? How many do not enjoy the spectacle of "larger than life" sound and vision ? how many do not leave the theater after being to a srriouslyt good action/adventure flick and everyone chatting about it ?What is not to like ?
well you have to go to the freakin' movie theater and deal with idiots is what !

Well boys and girls.you too can have that experience and all in the comfort and porivacy of your own living room !
Yup.I am deadly serious.all you need to do is add some really tiny and really crappy low cost speakers to your suytme along with this little black box that includes everything else.
Hook it up and sit back and get ready to be dazzled and amazed !

HELL YES ! HEAVEN ON EARTH !

Pure marketing genious and nothing new had to be "invented" .
Just take the best of everything that went before,toss the rest,tweek it,standardize it so every movie will be compatible and all manufacturers can get to building and selling PRODUCT (liscence fee paid of course
wink.gif
),aim the ad campaign at "everyman" instead of the audiophile nut jobs and we have a "winnaaah".
icon10.gif

What could be simpler ? You want something to come from the rear ? Just mix it to the rear channel by making it a L-R signal.Front ? Pan left,pan righ pan equal depending on where you want the sound FX "position" to be.Dialog on the screen must be centered ? Hell boy.Do nothing jerky ! The L+R mix that goes to the center channel has that under control and you only need to pan the signal equally left and right as in a regula stero signal !
You say you have no center speaker ?
no problemo pedrone.Just leave your television speakers "on' boy ! They sound like crap you say ?

OK just for you we will toss in a siomple little L+R blend and mix it back to the leaft and right channels at a reduced level.Just for you.say thank you.

thank you
icon10.gif

Bottom line is Hell Yes I know all about multi-channel audio.Not only do I know about it but i understand it.The details,the how and why and so I know what does and does not work.
Not from reviews.Not from reading articles or from reading manufacturer ad copy but because I lived it from the very beginning before any had a clue what it was or where this was/is all was headed.From my personal experience the new attempt to get multi-channel audio into the living room is just chapter three of quadraphonics.
Home Theater Surround said there was a market for multichannel sound in the home and because most already have the additional channels integration is simplified but they still just do not get it !
If you want to convince us to buy into something you say is great and a must have you first need to get your own crap together and offer one single format that we the consumer can either fall for or take a pass on but have your own little format war,a war that lasts for years and all the while having the "experts" tell us poor ignorant savages why it is we who are foolish for not buying in and you are totally fcked from day #1.
Check the history of your own industry and learn the damn lessons of that history then go figure out something that not only works,not only works consistantly but does not impose and entire system revamp just to have an in to the club.
The rickmonster will take a pass until something comes along that impresses me.Until then I am quite happy with my Dynaco QD-1 MK ll "passive ambience recovery system" for ALL my loudspeaker listening be it music or movies because it imposes NOTHING on my two channel audio.It only adds but subtracts nothing.For headphones I will continue to use my own little DIY passive headphone surround decoder until or if I am impressed by something better.That something also needs to be a device that imposes nothing.Does not cause me to run an analog signal through someone elses choice in ADC/DAC,that is fully defeatable and bottom line sounds better than what I presently have and use.
I don;t see that happening in my lifetime and i plan on living for a very long time.the term "been there and done that" should have a picture of my mug right along side the text
very_evil_smiley.gif

Rant over ('bout time too.Anyone actually get through all this without falling asleep or going mad ?)

***Disclaimer***

The above is strictly from memory and based on my personal experience so if I have a sequence or two wrong or maybe my facts not exactly correct down to the last detail all I can say is crap happens
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #48 of 115
I don't have a multi-channel setup.

Full fleged home theater setup is too expensive. Home theater in a box is pure junk. So I settle for a stereo setup.

Multichannel high resolution audio sounds amazing, better than stereo.

I would gladly dish out the money for multichannel audio discs that sell for less than $10 per disc.

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #49 of 115
Rickcr42, that was a bloody useful review of multi-channel audio's history
tongue.gif

I am now listening to K1000 with speakers playing simultaneously at maybe 3-5 dB lower. Funny that I can't hear the speaker at all. I suppose my brain is fooled into thinking that all the speaker sound is ambience because it arrives at least ~6 ms (6 feet) later than the K1000 soundl. I personally don't know what a 6 ms delay would do, but the sound is fuller and has a more natural decay. Even if I am walk out of the speaker sweetspot, I still can't hear the speaker sound and still perceive the added ambience. Violins start to sound more like what I think they should sound, based on childhood playing and frequent concert attendances. Strangely enough, adding the speakers does not seem to add anything but ambience, not even enlarging the soundstage of K1000.

I have always been wondering about what is missing in a speaker setup compared to a classical concert. My conclusion is ambience. In a good concert hall I don't directly notice ambience, but instruments just sound fuller and more resonant. In a poor concert hall instruments all sound dry, which is likely an ambience issue as well. In a stereo speaker setup in a normal room there is far less ambience than a concert venue. Even if all the instruments sound right, something is not quite right. I have limited experience with multi-channel audio, but in a hi-fi show multichannel demos make me hear sound coming from the rear. It sounds impressive but I guess eventually it is going to feel unnatural as well. Reading your story, I think stereo will remain audio mainstream for many years to come. It is simple and reliable, and can sound darn good with proper ambience enhancement (in my case K1000/2 monitors/2 subs).

In fact, with ambience recovery, I kind of feel that hi-rez music is dispensible. Today's hi-rez audio is mainly focused on multi-channel, especially DVD-audio, and I think that is a bad strategy. How many audiophiles are completely satisfied with the two main channels? Before getting two channels right, how many can afford to venture into multi-channel music? To my ears DSD contains more ambience info than CDs but hi-rez PCM just seems add more details but not ambience, but I guess it is too early to judge these infant audio formats.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #50 of 115
Quote:

I suppose my brain is fooled into thinking that all the speaker sound is ambience because it arrives at least ~6 ms (6 feet) later than the K1000 soundl. I personally don't know what a 6 ms delay would do, but the sound is fuller and has a more natural decay.

Below a certain point any distant speakers will be heard as part of the original main signal but add fullness and a more "phasy" (???) sound to the orignal .Reach that magic number of eather speaker distance or electronic delay which is no more than "artificial" speaker distance and it becomes an identifiable distinct sound source which will be heard as echo.
Known as the "Haas Effect" (google it for more info) and was the reason the first generation Audio Delay Lines used mutliple taps and cross channel feedback (reverb) to add artificial "fillers" for the space between the main stereo signal and the maximum length of the delay signal.
By doing this it was not uncommon to have 100ms delay options but this being a HUGE path only practical for pipe organ/Cathedral music or for the reckless Arena Rock.More FX than musically pleasing so 35-50ms seems to be the best comprimise all things considered for music.Research in this area was the first to my knowledge research into psychoacoustics and since headphones were strictly a studio playback and monitoring device in that niche of the mucic timeline not part of the research until much later.

Surround sound uses anywherer from 15 ms to 35 ms depending on manufacturer even though there IS a standard Dolby specification for this delay time.Always trying to top the other guy and offer a "feature" so you will buy their product even if that feature makes no sense.The only thing I can think of is it is meant to be a dual purpose movie/music delay though not optimised to either while usable for both.A comprimise.

Where such a comprimise runs into trouble though is the nature of the end use.With music you do NOT want an easily identifiable additional sound but just an apparent increase in venue size.That means "diffuse" sound field is essential or you end up with reverb instead of ambience and the end result will be very unnatural.
With movies you want a DISTINCT surround channel that sets rear sounds.These sounds once set to a behind the listener position can then be intentionally mixed for effect and panned for direction,including back to front movement or front to back movement so the sound follows the action on the screen.
Any disconnects or mistakes are mostly masked by the visuals on the screen because movies are an eye/brain medium first and ear/brain medium second so the action of the screen holds 85% of your attention (my number and my theory
tongue.gif
) thus masking any problems in the secondary area of interest.

And that to me is exactly why it falls flat in the music area !I know many who have a surround sound system in their home but no one who uses more than the two front channels for music playback while at the same time would not dream of watching TV without full surround unless it was the news or a similiar "talking head" type show being viewed (all dialog).Too damn "weird" and unnatural sounding with music.
My thoughts on this (and again personal observation) is the requirements for each are so different that getting a single system to work for both not just a comprimise for both but an extrme comprimise.
With surround sound you want direct radiation of the loudspeakers.that means speakers aimed directly at your listening position because the fx is mixed in such a way that these sounds are meant from the start to be an individual sound source.A truck coming from the left rear and moving towards the right front needs to be identified frst for what it is (a truck) then for what direction it is coming from (behind you and from the left) and where it is going (past you and to the right and continuing on...).
In life this initial sound from the rear lets you know something is coming so you "LOOK" behind you to see if you need to get out of the way.With a movie the action is all "in front" so this lets you know something is coming but until it hits the front speakers will not be "SEEN" on the screen.All directional cues are audio related until integrated as an A/V signal at the front but it still works.

With music ALL of the performance is to the front so what the rear channels attempt to do is to set the events venue size.the place the musical performance took place if live or where it would plausibly fit if all "in studio" to fool your brain into thinking it has been transported into a larger place and hopefully one consistant with the perfromance.The most realistic sound reproduction you will ever hear in your home (asuming a good system that is tonally accurate) is the small performance that COULD fit in the room.The solo singer strumming a guitar,the accapella perfromance,folk music and some piano pieces.These only need to be accurately reproduced in the frequency sphere and not the time sphere because if you read anything on the Haas Effect both the original perfmance AND your listening room are too small to support and return echos so ALL music is direct and real time.
Take that to a large venue or say even to a bar band setting and if you need to pack in an audience you need space and if you need space you have a distance to walls and ceilings where the sound will bounce all over the joint.Even if you close your eyes the sound tells you "you are no longer in Kansas Dorothy" so you have a "live sound".With a live recroding some of this "return information" comes through the microphones so there is no doubt you are listening to a live recording but that still does not set the "venue size" in your home.You KNOW there is size and space but just how large ?????????
The requirments for the recreation of this have almost zero to do with the requirements for surround sound so a Quicky Ricky Breakdown is :

SURROUND SOUND : A L-R signal using a set delay of 20-35 ms and zero recylcling of that signal signal back to the input of the other channel or the initial channel or origin.Two addtional direct radiating speakers can be used unless the room size is huge and then "fillers" can be added as in a large movie theater.These filler speakers will all reproduce the exact same signal
**yes we now have additional channels but that is just another excuse to sell you more stuff and is not an essential for surround sound reproduction which is fine at 5.1***

MUSIC AMBIENCE : Also a L-R signal but instead of being an artificially "coded" signal is a natural signal already present in the live recording and is the out of phase content that has travelled a distance from the stage to the back wall/side walls/ceiling,has bounced around the room and come back to the mics at a reduced level and with the high frequencies attenuated from travelling.
To reproduce this you need to first determine the size of the original "hall" and set the intial delay accordingly rather than have a single "standard" of delay time as in surround.small hall short delay,big hall long delay but the reality of in home use menas 50ms is about the upper limit before problems creep in.
Because this is not a singular event like the truck example in the surround description but multiple signals all mixed together after bouncing around the room a single discrete delay path can not work !
That is why surround sound sounds like crap with music in a nutshell.Rather than have a single additional signal we need many additional signals and the longer the intial delay time the more "filler" signals we need to set every reflection from the stage to the back wall !
The good news is we do not NEED to have many additional delays but just a single delay that has the output of one channel "crossfed" to the input of the other channel at a reduced rate where it is "recirculated" back through the delay line where it is again delayed and crosfed again and redelayed and crossfed again..............
This recycling of the signal adds the multiple paths with each at a lower level so as to simulate the natural decay that takes place in a real room.Because there is an initial low pass filter at the output of the delay line,usually at the surround standard of 7khz,each passage through the line will attenuate the highs more and more as they are recycled due to the accumulative effect of the filter ended up as many poles (rate of attentuation) as passes through !
A pretty cool trick that closely approximates what happens with live music and what the very firstr Ambience Extracors were based on.(the Ambience simulators were identical but instead of operating on a L-R signal that is not pesent in a studio recording used a L+R signal as the initial signal to be delayed).
The additional speakers for this sytem need to be "indirect" radiators rather than the "direct" radiators of the surround system because we are not trying to pinpoint an individual sound but recreate MANY sounds all mixed together into a single ambient soundfield while not being able to identify the actual source of these sounds as eminating from rear or side speakers.Not directional and distinct in nature but additional to the main leaft/right front signal and diffuse.

The reason why the surround sound decoder sounds like such crap when used for music playback is simple and has nothing to do with the electronics which are easy (you can code anything you want nto the DSP chip and have a simple flip of the switch for movies/music) but the speaker setup !

The requirement are soooo opposite that any attempts at a dual use system must be a comprimise for both !

surround sound : 90 degree angle from the listener aimed directly at the seating position.

ambient music : 180 degree angle from the listener aimed at the walls or ceiling for additional diffusion of the sound field.You NEVER want to hear the speakers as a distinct sound source or the illusion of "space" is destroyed and your attention goes directly to the added speaker systems.

Having two additional loudspeakers try to perform both is an impossibility even though there ARE tricks that can be played to get around this.

Your experiments with headphones while speakers were playing in the same room has at least two parts of the ambient music system down : physical delay time that even though reduced in length still enough to adds fullness to the sound and a "widening" of the space due to physical distance (rather than electronic distance or delay time) and high end attenuation where the highs are slightly blocked by your headphones thus changing the "tone" of this distant signal from a dominant one to a secondary one by nature of all the high frequency content being reproduced by the headphones !

simple stuff really once you understand the "why" of things and the over technical meant to confuse ad copy taken away.If we all understood what was going on we would be far harder to con at the cash register

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #51 of 115
I didn't read the novels posted above, but in regards to multichannel music I don't think it's inevitable. Again, let's try a common sense test:

Who wants multichannel music?

Ask you mom, your cousins, co-workers, people on the street, teenagers, etc. You'll get a whole lot of 'huh?', 'what's that?', and 'sure that'd be cool...(but I wouldn't upgrade my whole system and get a new player for it)'.

Portable audio and MP3 players are a MASSIVE market. Guess what that means, headphones are a MASSIVE market. Not Head-Fi headphones, but 'regular' headphones. Hard stereo pans? Gone. People are mixing for these mediums. Most music is listened to in cheap car radios, through TV speakers (MTV, etc), headphones, and boombox/mini-stereo systems. Very few people have a serious home theater, and even fewer have a serious audio setup. The fact is multichannel, high res music ISN'T WANTED by anyone other than audiophiles.

Another thing to consider is Gen Y. They are the future of cool and the future of the mass market. MP3's, cell phones that can download music wirelessly, digital players in cars, etc. This is where it's going. What kind of studio will invest time in a 5.1 mix for anything other than the biggest artists or some oddball audiophile recording? What manufacturers will mass produce high res, multichannel players when the market isn't demanding it?

This is, and probably always will be for the foreseeable future, a very niche (and thus expensive) market.

--Illah

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #52 of 115
Illah,

I agree with you for the most part. From my perspective, multi-channel music reproduction is about pushing the technological limits of realistic music playback. It's still got a lot of road to travel before every bump will be smoothed out. SACD/DVD-A gave us formats that overcome the 2 channel stereo limitations....to a certain degree. So I think there will be continued improvements in that particular direction.

However, as a way of listening to music, I think the mass market has drifted downwards with the proliferation of MP3s and downloading. Interesting article on that in the current issue of "Sound and Vision". There will be a niche of music lovers who want MC music, but those are few in comparison to the number of people who get their audio gear from Walmart. Unfortunately, the standards of what constitutes as "hi-fi" is constantly lowered.

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #53 of 115
Good point soundboy, the standards are lowering. But the average Joe doesn't look at things the way geeks like us do
smily_headphones1.gif
I tend to look to my parents as a reference point. They have plenty of money and are both highly educated people, but they watch movies for the story and listen to music almost as background noise. For the longest time a cheap 35" CRT with stock TV speakers was their home theater, and they rented fullscreen movies to play in the cheapo DVD player that came with the TV. They just wanted the story. I care about widescreen, being immersed in sound, and picture quality, but many people simply don't care.

Same with music. Many people just like pop, whether that be '50 Cent' or the pop music of generations past. The tunes provide a little background noise and trigger happy memories. Questions like "Does that recording lack soundstage?" never cross their mind.

MP3's fit perfectly into this world. It's not about fidelity, it's not about accurate music reproduction, it's about a catchy tune and what it represents to the listener. It's about being able to hear this tune whenver he wants, be it in his car, in his house, at his office, or on the road from his iPod or cell phone. This is the #1 reason SACD and DVD-A will never catch on. Not format wars, not marketing, not anything else. The consumer doesn't want it, and I personally don't think he ever will. The successor to CD will be downloadable, so if it's going to be hi-fi and not 128K MP3 it has to have a similar filesize and easy, universal playback. Problem is the downloadable format war is pretty much over...MP3 already won. FLAC, OGG, etc. are the vinyl, SACD, and DVD-A equivalents of the downloadable world
smily_headphones1.gif

Whatever hi-rez format comes next will be limited to the 1%'ers who actually care, and are willing to pay a premium for it.

--Illah

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #54 of 115
take all the above "novels" ,digest the info and it becomes clear why most attempts at headphone surround fail.The requirements are the same but when mixed to a two channel stereo signal lose the original intent of why it was even offered as a "fix" for two dimensional sound.
You can optimise for ambience or for surround sound but one matrix for both not a good fit for either so doomed from the start

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #55 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
You can optimise for ambience or for surround sound but one matrix for both not a good fit for either so doomed from the start

I see.....

Sep 22, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #56 of 115
rickcr42, you're posts here are absolutely packed with informative goods. Thanks for taking the time to write up those great summaries!
600smile.gif

Anyone for making it a sticky? ...though probably not under "Scary News about [SACD]"...
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #57 of 115
Quote:

Anyone for making it a sticky? ...though probably not under "Scary News about [SACD]"...

more like "scary bedtime stories from the evil mind of Dr.Rickmeister with all the bloody mispelled details in full 3D rikksurround"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #59 of 115
Thanks for taking the time to write all that Rick. Lot's of stuff I was unaware of in there.
I just got an SACD for my bday (Monk) and I'm glad it's hybrid so I can listen on more than one system. Redbook sounds great on my Meridians and the SACD layer sounds great on my SACDMods 963a. I've been trying to A/B the SACD layer on the 963 against the redbook on Meridian and they sound very different. I can't say that I definitely prefer the SACD. It sounds amazing and detailed and dynamic but at times a bit harsh as well. I find myself adjusting the sub volume level up a bit when listening to the 963sa. It's fun. Not sure I enjoy the music much more.
CPW

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #60 of 115
Quote:

No one knows how to spell anymore on the web! :wink:

I [size=small]knew[/size] there was something I could blame at work here !

It's the internet ! Yeah...that's it...the internet.....and I was typing along everything perfect when someone......sabotaged me !
Yeah that's it ! Internet sabotage.....yeah..........and this internet sabotage was .....Planned ! Yeah ! All planned ! Planned from the start by the forces of evil out to get me...yeah..........that's the ticket
cool.gif

Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to write all that Rick

A dirty job but someone hadda do it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back