SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Oct 29, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #1,036 of 1,214
20231029_104150.jpg

Keep running kilobuck planar mass produced headphones, cause tres se is coming!

I've been enjoying these now for the last 2 days and their signature is very pleasing for me. As usual I ended up with a bass-shelf, something the tres se can handle easily. Out of the box they might be a bit bass-shy for my taste but nothing that can't be fixed with the easiest of eq.
Width, stage, treble presence and speed are all there, all better compared to tres og (16ohm).

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #1,037 of 1,214
Hello ladies and gents. Here is a fresh new eq that I'd like everyone to try out with a graphing of the stock Tres 45 following the Harmen 2018 target and the new eq. What do you guys think? 😁

This is the best one I have heard so far and truly it is spot on. If the low end is too much to your liking, bring 23hz down a few db. This is for open back
😊
What EQ software is that? I've never EQ'd high res audio, will the EQ stick/apply even though I use Audirvana? Cheers

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #1,039 of 1,214
Anyone have any more reviews/thoughts on the Tres SE? Curious to know how these compare to Focal Clear MG Pro and Kennerton Magni (v3)
I've owned both the Clear MG and Magni V3, but both a while back. From what I remembered is that I loved Magni and liked Clear MG., but also that I had to EQ Magni to get it more to my liking and the EQ for Tres SE is almost the same as for Magni.

I owned and sold so many headphones but Tres OG stayed, and from the few days that I have Tres SE I can safely say it exceeds the OG in all possible ways. Tres OG is a giant killer, SE talks to the giants to talk sense into them as grown-ups do :wink:

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,040 of 1,214
I've owned both the Clear MG and Magni V3, but both a while back. From what I remembered is that I loved Magni and liked Clear MG., but also that I had to EQ Magni to get it more to my liking and the EQ for Tres SE is almost the same as for Magni.

I owned and sold so many headphones but Tres OG stayed, and from the few days that I have Tres SE I can safely say it exceeds the OG in all possible ways. Tres OG is a giant killer, SE talks to the giants to talk sense into them as grown-ups do :wink:
Cheers dude. Been on the fence as to whether or not sell my Clear MG Pro's for around the same ish price of the new SE. I would have to sell the MG 1st and don't have another set. 6-ish weeks without HPs would be a long wait! Hmm, choices choices...

FWIW I was the complete opposite, wasn't that enamoured with the Magni but love the MG. My hearing isn't all that much cop so maybe I'm drawn to foward, detailed headphones, such as the MG, to compensate.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,042 of 1,214
20231105_141344.jpg

20231105_141134.jpg

My Sash Tres SE has arrived too. It took about 3 weeks to deliver. My first impression is that it is more detailed and impactful than the previous models. There is more presence in the treble area. It appears more prominent. The bass is punchier and more distinct. I love how it performs with the drums and acoustic and bass guitars. The mids are great as always. The singer's voice is accurate and pleasant. Overall, I feel like there is more clarity and liveliness. The 45 ohm version seems more laid back and more forgiving in comparison. But because of that, the 45s are probably less fatiguing during long listening sessions. The SE is definitely easier to drive as there is more sensitivity. It is heavier, but not significantly. The weight is tolerable but it would probably be my only gripe. The zebrano wood looks amazing. I may write a more detailed review after the honey moon period is over.

One of the songs I listened to was Kiss by Michelle Gurevich. I think it illustrated how well the SE performs.

Nov 15, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #1,044 of 1,214
Hi folks!
Would you mind taking me to the community? Have just ordered SE in brownish red for me! How is it waiting? :)
Welcome! And about the waiting: it really really sucks. I ordered mine a few weeks ago and no day has gone by without me thinking about it. I hope it is all worthwhile.
I see you are from Ukraine. Maybe your wait is a little shorter than mine.

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #1,046 of 1,214
Don't worry about the wait time. It's well worth it and It's not as bad as with some custom made amplifiers. I'm a big fan of Tres 16/45 ohm. Heck, even Sash Deux was pretty awesome. I think 45 ohm version was good and comparable to best headphones in $500-1000 range but it was partly because it's so unique in it's presentation. Not because it's technically on the level of Hifiman Arya and such.

Tres Se is quite a different beast. It still has the "Sash Sound" but on technical level it has improved significantly. Now it's definately there with Arya...way beyond Audeze LCD-3, Focal Clear or Meze Empyrean. It's very detailed but very cohesive. Details won't distract but support the presentation. It's a big trick...a very big trick actually, on top of my head best example is Hifiman Susvara that is able to pull off that extremely detailed but mostly musical signature. It's quite awesome deal really. Like getting a $2000 headphone for $500 and getting it custom colored for free. :relaxed:

I'm swamped with projects so full review will take a month or two but I just thought I'd pop in with these early impressions. We'll not that early, I have like 100 hours on Tres SE now. And...as usual, high wattage tube amps are the way go.

Tres SE might come as bit agressive for some, if you're more accustomed to a laid back sound. Drums really SNAP! I like it, but some might prefer more laid back presentation for which Tres 45ohm is a good choice. I do like how Sasha went with organizing the models, Tres 45ohm is in no way obsolite. It's just the more mellow less technical and agressive model for people who prefer that.

Here is the graph with honeycomb and normal S baffle. Not much of a difference but I think honeycomb sounds more pleasent, less agressive and open. That 6khz peak is a measurement glitch so nothing to worry about :)
1700361546538.png

1700361822730.jpeg

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,048 of 1,214
Don't worry about the wait time. It's well worth it and It's not as bad as with some custom made amplifiers. I'm a big fan of Tres 16/45 ohm. Heck, even Sash Deux was pretty awesome. I think 45 ohm version was good and comparable to best headphones in $500-1000 range but it was partly because it's so unique in it's presentation. Not because it's technically on the level of Hifiman Arya and such.

Tres Se is quite a different beast. It still has the "Sash Sound" but on technical level it has improved significantly. Now it's definately there with Arya...way beyond Audeze LCD-3, Focal Clear or Meze Empyrean. It's very detailed but very cohesive. Details won't distract but support the presentation. It's a big trick...a very big trick actually, on top of my head best example is Hifiman Susvara that is able to pull off that extremely detailed but mostly musical signature. It's quite awesome deal really. Like getting a $2000 headphone for $500 and getting it custom colored for free. :relaxed:

I'm swamped with projects so full review will take a month or two but I just thought I'd pop in with these early impressions. We'll not that early, I have like 100 hours on Tres SE now. And...as usual, high wattage tube amps are the way go.

Tres SE might come as bit agressive for some, if you're more accustomed to a laid back sound. Drums really SNAP! I like it, but some might prefer more laid back presentation for which Tres 45ohm is a good choice. I do like how Sasha went with organizing the models, Tres 45ohm is in no way obsolite. It's just the more mellow less technical and agressive model for people who prefer that.

Here is the graph with honeycomb and normal S baffle. Not much of a difference but I think honeycomb sounds more pleasent, less agressive and open. That 6khz peak is a measurement glitch so nothing to worry about :)
1700361546538.png
1700361822730.jpeg

Thanks for the review ! This ended up being the last little push that I needed. I ordered my Sash Tres SE this morning!

The payment process wasn't as arcane or time-consuming as I feared. Pretty simple to set up the Wise account and send the money. Although I don't love the fees that come with using Wise, rolled into the total cost of the headphones, it's not a big deal. Overall, this was also a smoother ordering process than I experienced when ordering an Audio-gd amp, EMU Teak headphones, or many of the bespoke cables I've purchased. A few emails back and forth, and everything was good.

Now for the waiting...

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,049 of 1,214
Thanks for the review ! This ended up being the last little push that I needed. I ordered my Sash Tres SE this morning!

The payment process wasn't as arcane or time-consuming as I feared. Pretty simple to set up the Wise account and send the money. Although I don't love the fees that come with using Wise, rolled into the total cost of the headphones, it's not a big deal. Overall, this was also a smoother ordering process than I experienced when ordering an Audio-gd amp, EMU Teak headphones, or many of the bespoke cables I've purchased. A few emails back and forth, and everything was good.

Now for the waiting...
What options did you go for?

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,050 of 1,214
What options did you go for?

I'm terrible when I'm given all those choices to make. I spent hours waffling between all the options and then ended just going with "brown." Alien HP's pair look gorgeous, so I'm hoping that's what "brown" is. Black honeycombs and black S grills to go with it. Maybe I'll get a little more adventurous once there's a Sash Quatro. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back