SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #676 of 1,214
perfect! thank you
I've done my order two days ago, honeycomb grill and default leather pads, I was wondering if it was worthy to order some additional pads or grills, but I can always try new things later...
I've read almost the entire thread and it's not really clear to me if trebles on Sash Tres are above or below the 'typical Hifiman', but at this point I'll see soon by myself...
Treble is below but still energetic and airy. One thing for sure. Theres beyond than enough clarity and detail

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #677 of 1,214
Hifiman in general are neutral bright but with a hole in upper mids around 1700-2000hz the makes vocals and and other instruments sound muffled, its a trick to make the sense of the soundstage a little bigger.
I had both Arya Stealth and HD800 and Aryas in general ware very bright, the treble overpowered everything, bringing the volume up to compensate for the mids and bass makes treble very fatiguing and very fast, they ware a no go for metal. The only sin HD800 had was the weak bass response, both in quantity and dynamics, EQing it kind of killed the whole tuning and made it not defuse field, yet i still somewhat miss it for the shear amount of detail retrieval from tracks.
Both ware driven easily from iFi Zen stack and Topping DX3Pro+
If you love metal. The Tres is beast mode 🤘🔥🤘🔥. The Arya and HD800 have nothing on the Tres. Absolutely love listening to Black Sabbath, Tool, Iron Maiden, Batushka, Skid Row and the list goes on and on....

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #679 of 1,214
I'm thinking about to get the 16 ohm version of sash tres. I have doubts about the amp, will the topping l30 II have enough power to drive them?
Yes.
I have Topping DX3Pro+ and it drives them well and clean.
With low gain i get to -19 and its more then loud enough, with high gain i get to -30 and its loud enough, so plenty of headroom.
On my Magnius i cant even go to 12 o clock washout blowing my eardrums.

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #680 of 1,214
Another thing I have notice after the new open grill. The snap of drum kits really hit. The overall sound is crisp with amazing attack. Been listening to Type O Negative and the drums in Christian Woman hit so hard but also it's as if the highs have gained more extension. Detail up top is heard very easily and you hear that last bit of snap. But also the guitar riff throughout is deeper and has more grunt. Just feels like the driver can breathe and move faster and more easily. When it slams. It really slams.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #682 of 1,214
Been using the 45 Ohm Tres so so much. And have been going to many audio stores to compare with different headphones. Not one has made me feel that I am missing something on the Tres. While some other cans may have more low end, more soundstage, more detail. They also lack what the 45 ohm Tres has. And it's a master at it. Having everything you could possibly want and not missing anything.

It has all the clarity and detail you could ever want. Yet it is still very musical and fun to listen to.

It has amazing low end kick and rumble while also having amazing quality to it with astonishing separation between sub and mid bass. You can literally feel the rumble and kick at the same time without them blending together.

The 45 ohm Tres has beautiful mids. It's clear and detailed, while also having emotion, body and weight. It never sounds thin and has grunt to it. Highs are airy and nicely extended. Yes it could be a touch energetic, but it's done masterfully as it really never is fatiguing to my ear. The soundstage is huge with very precise imaging. It all is honestly positives about the sound. Could anyone give me a con about the sound? Because I can not find anything. The only thing is it has truly made me question why I have spent thousands on some headphones where I could have got these.... Now are they endgame for me? No. I know eventually I'll want to try something new. But it's not to replace the 45 ohm Tres. It's to have something different. But it really has to wow me like 45 ohm Tres have. The HD800s and Arya Stealth are two options. But really the only gain I feel is larger soundstage and maybe a touch more detail? But I loose out in overall musical enjoyment. Overall slam is lost. Like I said a touch more detail and soundstage is nice, but trust me. With the open grill mod...... The 45 ohm Tres is very close to these two headphones. And with a touch of eq. I really just don't feel it justifys spending that much money.... So I'll admit, I was thinking of making a new purchase on a headphone... But for the first time, a headphone has actually made me decide. No! I'll upgrade my gear instead. I am happy with what I got. SMSL M500mkiii and Auris Audio HA-2SF. They are my daily, but it's time to step it up a notch.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #683 of 1,214
Been using the 45 Ohm Tres so so much. And have been going to many audio stores to compare with different headphones. Not one has made me feel that I am missing something on the Tres. While some other cans may have more low end, more soundstage, more detail. They also lack what the 45 ohm Tres has. And it's a master at it. Having everything you could possibly want and not missing anything.

It has all the clarity and detail you could ever want. Yet it is still very musical and fun to listen to.

It has amazing low end kick and rumble while also having amazing quality to it with astonishing separation between sub and mid bass. You can literally feel the rumble and kick at the same time without them blending together.

The 45 ohm Tres has beautiful mids. It's clear and detailed, while also having emotion, body and weight. It never sounds thin and has grunt to it. Highs are airy and nicely extended. Yes it could be a touch energetic, but it's done masterfully as it really never is fatiguing to my ear. The soundstage is huge with very precise imaging. It all is honestly positives about the sound. Could anyone give me a con about the sound? Because I can not find anything. The only thing is it has truly made me question why I have spent thousands on some headphones where I could have got these.... Now are they endgame for me? No. I know eventually I'll want to try something new. But it's not to replace the 45 ohm Tres. It's to have something different. But it really has to wow me like 45 ohm Tres have. The HD800s and Arya Stealth are two options. But really the only gain I feel is larger soundstage and maybe a touch more detail? But I loose out in overall musical enjoyment. Overall slam is lost. Like I said a touch more detail and soundstage is nice, but trust me. With the open grill mod...... The 45 ohm Tres is very close to these two headphones. And with a touch of eq. I really just don't feel it justifys spending that much money.... So I'll admit, I was thinking of making a new purchase on a headphone... But for the first time, a headphone has actually made me decide. No! I'll upgrade my gear instead. I am happy with what I got. SMSL M500mkiii and Auris Audio HA-2SF. They are my daily, but it's time to step it up a notch.
That is quite a nice write up.
I was wondering what other cans did you try them against? Which pads are you using them with to get the sound you described?

I had in the past had owned both HD800 and Arya v3 and honestly i only miss HD800, it had this interesting flavor to it in terms of technicalities but the lack of bass punch and very forced details ( i couldn't escape the high detail even if i wanted to just lean back and relax it always forced me to critically listen) killed the joy.
I can see why some end on HD800 and look for a complementary paring. Maybe Tres is a perfect match for HD800 after all.
As for Arya v3, it was quite underwhelming to be honest, maybe i dint give them enough current or voltage, i used Dx3 Pro+ and it made everything thing and sharp, the highs overpowered everything else.

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #684 of 1,214
That is quite a nice write up.
I was wondering what other cans did you try them against? Which pads are you using them with to get the sound you described?

I had in the past had owned both HD800 and Arya v3 and honestly i only miss HD800, it had this interesting flavor to it in terms of technicalities but the lack of bass punch and very forced details ( i couldn't escape the high detail even if i wanted to just lean back and relax it always forced me to critically listen) killed the joy.
I can see why some end on HD800 and look for a complementary paring. Maybe Tres is a perfect match for HD800 after all.
As for Arya v3, it was quite underwhelming to be honest, maybe i dint give them enough current or voltage, i used Dx3 Pro+ and it made everything thing and sharp, the highs overpowered everything else.
I've tried the Focal Clear MG, owned the OG Clears but sold them. HD800s/HD800. Arya Stealth, Edition XS, Ananda, HE-6se, Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-4, LCD-X and LCD-X 2021, MM500 and LCD-5. Thieaudio Wraith ( this was no comp, Tres 45 ohm was much better ), Rosson Audio Rad-0, HEDDphone, Fostex Th900 and TH909, Ultrasone Edition 11, Austrian Audio HI-X65, Avantone Planar, Dan Clark Aeon 2, Ether 2, Meze Empyrean, Meze Elite, ZMF Auteur Classic, ZMF Aeolus, Kennerton Wodan, Kennerton Thek, Kennerton Thror, HarmonicDyne G200 (No comp), Sendy Peacock (No comp)

I am using stock leather pads with the more open grills and no cloth behind the grill. I am also using this eq.

Screenshot_20221211_152708_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #685 of 1,214
I've tried the Focal Clear MG, owned the OG Clears but sold them. HD800s/HD800. Arya Stealth, Edition XS, Ananda, HE-6se, Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-4, LCD-X and LCD-X 2021, MM500 and LCD-5. Thieaudio Wraith ( this was no comp, Tres 45 ohm was much better ), Rosson Audio Rad-0, HEDDphone, Fostex Th900 and TH909, Ultrasone Edition 11, Austrian Audio HI-X65, Avantone Planar, Dan Clark Aeon 2, Ether 2, Meze Empyrean, Meze Elite, ZMF Auteur Classic, ZMF Aeolus, Kennerton Wodan, Kennerton Thek, Kennerton Thror, HarmonicDyne G200 (No comp), Sendy Peacock (No comp)

I am using stock leather pads with the more open grills and no cloth behind the grill. I am also using this eq.

Screenshot_20221211_152708_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
Damn, that's a hefty list of serious cans, and Tres is the one you keep coming back to, this reminds me how many people settle down on HD600 or 650 after their audio journey.
I'm curious how do DCA cans sound and compere to Tres? I only had the original 2018 Aeon Flow Closed and they sounded really compressed and lifeless with now impact what so ever, even with huge bass shelf.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #686 of 1,214
The Aeon 2 is more lusher and slightly muted listen. It still has clarity but the Tres wins there. Also the 45 ohm Tres is much larger sounding. Have more width, height and depth. The Aeon 2 is comparison sounds a bit more squashed in. The 45 ohm Tres has a cleaner low end where as the Aeon 2 has a touch more but sounds muddier and blends with the mid bass. The mids on the 45 ohm Tres are a bit more forward but also have more thickness and clarity. The Aeon 2 has a touch less energy than the 45 ohm Tres in the treble, but it is a slightly easier listen, meaning you could maybe go for long listening sessions. But the 45 ohm Tres has much more clarity and air, while still being pretty easy to listen to.

The Ether 2 in comparison sounds more sterile and analytical. The low end extends nicely, but does not have the same impact as the 45 ohm Tres, yet I find the 45 ohm Tres to still be better in quality being better to separate sub and mid bass much more easily. The mids on the Ether 2 are forward and very clear, theres heaps of detail and it's very clean. Though the 45 ohm Tres produces the same amount of detail or more while still being more emotional and thicker sounding having more grunt. The Ether 2 would be the less uncoloured choice though but it is a little boring sounding. Treble on both is similar, but again I find the 45 ohm Tres to be more airy and effortless. The Ether 2 feels like it's trying to push the details right at you. This just makes the soundstage feel a bit more compressed. With some music though, I can understand this could be a pro.

The headphone that the 45 ohm Tres reminds me of sound wise is the Erzetich Phobos V2021. Especially with the new open grill mod on the 45 ohm Tres, they sound very very similar. Obviously not identical. But similar. It's the closest thing I've heard sound wise. Maybe the Phobos V2021 having more low end impact but the Tres 45 ohm having a touch faster low end with more extension as I feel the Phobos v2021 rolls of around 50-40hz. Mids are very close, I think Phobos has a touch more high mids while Tres 45 ohm has a touch more low mids. But they are very similar here. With Treble, I feel the 45 ohm Tres is more airy and brings just slightly more detail, but the Phobos V2021 is a little smoother. Soundstage and imaging are extremely similar but I feel 45 ohm Tres wins here.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #688 of 1,214
I gonna order one of these. I'm almost sure I prefer the 16ohm version bc it's more bassy. Is that right?

Can someone link some post that compares both versions?
My 16ohm came in last week. I can say that the 16s are significantly more bassier without EQ. I actually like them better than the 45s for my preference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back