SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Sep 18, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #604 of 1,214
anyone used these on tubes? i tried them on my WA6SE last night and they did not sound good. the bass was distorted and uncontrolled sounding. the complete opposite of my Monolith 887. im not sure why that would be.
That`s weird. They thrive on my Bottlehead S.E.X., which also is a class A SET amp. I did however do a small resistor mod to lower the noise floor of the amp, so it`s dead silent with my Tres and LCD-3F. And of course you used to low impedance headphone out?

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #605 of 1,214
Working great with both my Little Dot MkVI+(full balanced OCL tube amp) and iFi Pro iCan in tube mode (tube hybrid with SS output stage).

The things that will matter with amp choice here is the ability to produce high current into low impedance. Some tube amps will struggle with either having low current output (=problems with all planars) or impedance mismatch caused by high output impedance (=problems with low impedance planars).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #606 of 1,214
That`s weird. They thrive on my Bottlehead S.E.X., which also is a class A SET amp. I did however do a small resistor mod to lower the noise floor of the amp, so it`s dead silent with my Tres and LCD-3F. And of course you used to low impedance headphone out?
yes sir i tried the high also for poops and it was worse. my Elex sound great on the low out and my senns sound great on the high out so its not the amplifier. it is a bit noisy when nothing is playing, it sounds exactly like my crack did before i did the diode mod on the ground lug however im sure thats not relevant to this issue as it didnt make a SQ difference before the mod.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #607 of 1,214
Working great with both my Little Dot MkVI+(full balanced OCL tube amp) and iFi Pro iCan in tube mode (tube hybrid with SS output stage).

The things that will matter with amp choice here is the ability to produce high current into low impedance. Some tube amps will struggle with either having low current output (=problems with all planars) or impedance mismatch caused by high output impedance (=problems with low impedance planars).
i dont have any other planars to see if its a planar only issue. all my other cans are dynamics and sound perfectly fine on it. im ABing with my solid state and its night and day the difference. i also tried some other driver tubes and it made no difference. i can make it sound a little better by turning down the input volume from my dac but i run out of volume knob on the amp to get them loud enough anyways.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #608 of 1,214
i dont have any other planars to see if its a planar only issue. all my other cans are dynamics and sound perfectly fine on it. im ABing with my solid state and its night and day the difference. i also tried some other driver tubes and it made no difference. i can make it sound a little better by turning down the input volume from my dac but i run out of volume knob on the amp to get them loud enough anyways.
Do you have a bad tube or tubes? That’s the first thing that comes to mind with that sort of behavior. Do you have some other known good tubes to test with?

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #611 of 1,214
How about the cable you’re using? Have you tried a different cable? Does the Tres sound fine on other amps?
half of the same cable as im using on all my other headphones (hart modular) and yes i can disconnect it while playing the same track and connect to my SS amp and it sounds perfect. same DAC same PC. it makes zero sense.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #612 of 1,214

If I may ask, which one do you fancy more? And if that's the case, are there any particular reasons why?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 19, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #613 of 1,214
I already took out one of the yellow felt sheets from my open back drivers, I will try with both removed (leaving the third glued one of course) but do you guys think there's any risk to the headphones without at least one of those sheets of felt in place to help protect the driver and wiring from dust or anything? I'm thinking no since the open-back covers also have a filter as well.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #614 of 1,214
I already took out one of the yellow felt sheets from my open back drivers, I will try with both removed (leaving the third glued one of course) but do you guys think there's any risk to the headphones without at least one of those sheets of felt in place to help protect the driver and wiring from dust or anything? I'm thinking no since the open-back covers also have a filter as well.
No the driver should be all goods. Give it a try and see how you like it 😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back