SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #616 of 1,214
Must be an incompatibility with your amp. I would talk to Sasha and see what he thinks.
i did talk to sasha this morning and he thought maybe the amp just didnt like planars.

well it turns out im pretty sure i figured out the issue and it makes no sense to me but might make sense to people more experienced with audio equipment. to a lesser extent i think the tubes need to warm up for about 20-30 mins for them to sound correct and my rectifier is not the best (svetlana winged 5U3C). when i turned on the amp and started listening to my elex i noticed they were doing what the Tres were but to a much lesser extent, so i turned on my SS and started listening to them and they were fine so i went back to the WA6 and now they sounded fine. then i decided to listen to the Tres again and they were sounding fine now all the sudden. both my amps are being fed from the same SMSL M200 with the Monolith 887 being fed by balanced XLR and the WA6 is RCA. i decided to test a theory and it was correct, if i turn off the SS amp while any headphone is connected to the WA6 and playing it starts sounding distorted, turn it back on and it sounds normal and this difference is night and day on the Tres.

so i dont know if i need a new DAC or if theres something im doing wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #617 of 1,214
i did talk to sasha this morning and he thought maybe the amp just didnt like planars.

well it turns out im pretty sure i figured out the issue and it makes no sense to me but might make sense to people more experienced with audio equipment. to a lesser extent i think the tubes need to warm up for about 20-30 mins for them to sound correct and my rectifier is not the best (svetlana winged 5U3C). when i turned on the amp and started listening to my elex i noticed they were doing what the Tres were but to a much lesser extent, so i turned on my SS and started listening to them and they were fine so i went back to the WA6 and now they sounded fine. then i decided to listen to the Tres again and they were sounding fine now all the sudden. both my amps are being fed from the same SMSL M200 with the Monolith 887 being fed by balanced XLR and the WA6 is RCA. i decided to test a theory and it was correct, if i turn off the SS amp while any headphone is connected to the WA6 and playing it starts sounding distorted, turn it back on and it sounds normal and this difference is night and day on the Tres.

This is an issue with using both amps at the same time. I read the users manual for your DAC and it is supposed to be preamp too. Are you using it in preamp mode? This may fix the issue if you change to preamp mode or it may not. Even though it’s supposed to be a preamp, it may not be able to handle the output impedance from both amps at the same time and this is why you are getting distortion. The simple fix is to not have both amps on at the same time. If you want to have both turned on at the same time you will want to add a proper preamp to your setup to separate the two amps.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #618 of 1,214
This is an issue with using both amps at the same time. I read the users manual for your DAC and it is supposed to be preamp too. Are you using it in preamp mode? This may fix the issue if you change to preamp mode or it may not. Even though it’s supposed to be a preamp, it may not be able to handle the output impedance from both amps at the same time and this is why you are getting distortion. The simple fix is to not have both amps on at the same time. If you want to have both turned on at the same time you will want to add a proper preamp to your setup to separate the two amps.

no you have it backwards it only works correctly (the WA6) if both are on at the same time. this is why im confused.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #619 of 1,214
no you have it backwards it only works correctly (the WA6) if both are on at the same time. this is why im confused.
Well that is confusing. That’s not an expected outcome. Maybe a damaged DAC or one of the amps? Well then reverse what I said and leave both on. 😂.

Maybe an issue with non-coupled inputs? Maybe you need an isolation transformer between your RCA jacks and your WA6? Just spouting off thoughts as they come to my head.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #620 of 1,214

Did you try to unplug the Monolith from the DAC, so it only feeds the WA6? If you have adapters you could try to use the RCA from the DAC to connect the Monolith and check if you get any distortion that way. Anyway, there is a fault up the line from the amps, so you can at least listen to the Tres on tubes now and see how you like it.

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #621 of 1,214
Did you try to unplug the Monolith from the DAC, so it only feeds the WA6? If you have adapters you could try to use the RCA from the DAC to connect the Monolith and check if you get any distortion that way. Anyway, there is a fault up the line from the amps, so you can at least listen to the Tres on tubes now and see how you like it.
I actually didn't think of that I will try it tomorrow.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #622 of 1,214
Will be getting them very soon 😁.
Very open design on a headphone that already sounds large..... Can't wait

received_5970781276287581.jpeg
received_2042465229276117.jpeg

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #625 of 1,214
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #628 of 1,214
My build from far away!! Yea baby!!!

received_623490689442102.jpeg
received_389687096710811.jpeg
received_676328964036140.jpeg
received_483214113867314.jpeg