SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
May 12, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #226 of 1,093
semisight: Agreed, I could never hear a difference either

May 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #228 of 1,093
Yeah you need to select custom to hear the difference.

Rockbox seems to work nicely. I edited a bunch of tags and will do the rest eventually so that should take care of the chinese font. I do wish there was like a 8 or 10 pt unifont somewhere however. The Clip+ also hisses less than my crappy e260 so it should work much better. I doubt I can get a better deal than $40 for a 8gb clip+

May 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #230 of 1,093
I just downloaded the latest build but I still get the problem where sometimes my Clip+ will not switch on and I have to press the power button for 20 seconds to get it switched back on.

Art

May 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #232 of 1,093

Quote:
I just downloaded the latest build but I still get the problem where sometimes my Clip+ will not switch on and I have to press the power button for 20 seconds to get it switched back on.

Art

Sounds like it may be a bootloader issue rather than the rockbox revisions.  Did you create your own patched firmware/bootloader?  If so, which OF version did you use?

I used the following:

Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.09 patched w/ mkamsboot & bootloader as found on http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS
Rockbox r25972

So far, no crashes, freezes, or any hiccups.  Booting is for the most part instantaneous.

May 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #234 of 1,093

Quote:
Sounds like it may be a bootloader issue rather than the rockbox revisions.  Did you create your own patched firmware/bootloader?  If so, which OF version did you use?

I used the following:

Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.09 patched w/ mkamsboot & bootloader as found on http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS
Rockbox r25972

So far, no crashes, freezes, or any hiccups.  Booting is for the most part instantaneous.

No, I didn't created my own bootloader and patched firmware. I downloaded the bootloader from the AnythingButIpod forum and the Rockbox build from the Rockbox site. I also installed the latest Sansa Clip+ firmware. I then dragged those files into the root of my Sansa Clip+ folder.

I have now installed the new version of the bootloader today and so far the problem seems to have disappeared.

Art 

May 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #236 of 1,093
Improved? I don't know. Certainly the amp chip used in the clip doesn't change at all. I don't know the details of the audio driver implementation for the OF, but I'm sure the rockbox implementation doesn't cut any corners. At the very least, rockbox is loaded with options which will enhance your enjoyment of the music.

May 13, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #238 of 1,093

Quote:
is the sound quality improved with rockbox?

There is one noticable difference: Rockbox has some noises, interference, when you start up, while OF is dead silent. The Rockbox noise disappears or is reduced after a while, and is difficult to hear when there is music. Rockbox has of course a lot of sound enhancing features that OF doesn't have, like a better EQ and crossfeed. The version I have is stable, it hasn't crashed on me yet. It is from May 10th. I guess newer versions a stable as well.

May 13, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #239 of 1,093

Quote:

There is one noticable difference: Rockbox has some noises, interference, when you start up, while OF is dead silent. The Rockbox noise disappears or is reduced after a while, and is difficult to hear when there is music. Rockbox has of course a lot of sound enhancing features that OF doesn't have, like a better EQ and crossfeed. The version I have is stable, it hasn't crashed on me yet. It is from May 10th. I guess newer versions a stable as well.

Weird, I don't get that noise and I'm listening through JH-13's. I'm on R25894

May 13, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #240 of 1,093

Quote:
Weird, I don't get that noise and I'm listening through JH-13's. I'm on R25894

I just upgraded to todays version, and also installed the latest bootloader. The noise is still there when I start, but it soon disappear. So I don't consider it a problem. The new bootloader is supposed to give a better battery life. I haven't noticed other problems yet, so all is well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back