SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #31 of 1,093
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's probably because it's still read-only at this point. I think it's trying to write a playlist, so that's probably why you're getting the error. Probably the same reason why the database and saving your settings don't work.

IC. Guess ill have to wait it out a little longer. Right now i find playing music with rockbox more cumbersome than with the original firmware.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #32 of 1,093
I was using my rockboxed clip+ for the past few (8+) hours when it suddenly died on me (the battery wasn't flat). after connecting it to a power supply and force loading the original firmware its back in action... i think its fair to say this release is far from stable.... but I'm guessing we should be expecting that anyway

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #33 of 1,093
Wow - this was faster than I expected! I'm definitely going to try this out.

Pitch issue didn't exist on the Clip+, btw - only the Clip v2's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main question is - why use Rockbox for a player that already plays FLAC and outputs high quality sound?

I have a few reasons:

- OF does not support 24-bit FLAC's.
- RB EQ is superior (should make this great DAP sound even better).
- RB adds additional codec support, like AAC.
- RB adds a clock. I find that important on a device that I use for workouts, as it helps me keep track of time.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #34 of 1,093
Quote:

Originally Posted by lazybum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IC. Guess ill have to wait it out a little longer. Right now i find playing music with rockbox more cumbersome than with the original firmware.

It's a brand new port. They'll work out the kinks eventually. Dual booting with the OF works too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was using my rockboxed clip+ for the past few (8+) hours when it suddenly died on me (the battery wasn't flat). after connecting it to a power supply and force loading the original firmware its back in action... i think its fair to say this release is far from stable.... but I'm guessing we should be expecting that anyway

Well, it is in the "unstable release" category. But still, it's Rockbox on the Clip+!

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #35 of 1,093
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - this was faster than I expected! I'm definitely going to try this out.

Pitch issue didn't exist on the Clip+, btw - only the Clip v2's.

I have a few reasons:

- OF does not support 24-bit FLAC's.
- RB EQ is superior (should make this great DAP sound even better).
- RB adds additional codec support, like AAC.
- RB adds a clock. I find that important on a device that I use for workouts, as it helps me keep track of time.

Awesome. I thought the Clip+ also had the pitch problem. Many are still finding RB unstable so I guess I will have to wait for a more stable port. Shouldn't be too long hopefully. I'm still waiting to receive my Clip+ in the mail so I haven't been able to try out RB yet. The thought of having a much more functional screen along with AAC support is awesome.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #36 of 1,093
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many are still finding RB unstable so I guess I will have to wait for a more stable port. Shouldn't be too long hopefully.

It's not massively unstable, but should we really expect much more from a port this new? If you want to wait, that's fine, but I don't see much of a reason why. You can still dual boot, and the OF works just as well as it did before the Rockbox install. Mine has frozen up on me a few times, but it was nothing a soft reset couldn't fix. At this point, I'm just glad true gapless playback is finally on the Clip+.

Does anyone know if Doom will work on the Rockbox port of the Clip+? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm just curious.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #37 of 1,093
My Clip v2 with the new Rockbox has a "pitch bug" that's comparable to what it had with the previous Sandisk 02.01.32 firmware for the Clip v2. Both play noticeably flat.

I have now had experience with trying to play guitar along with three versions of Sansa Clip v2 firmware:

a) Sandisk's 02.01.32 firmware,

b) their new 02.01.35 firmware, which came out a few days ago, and

c) the new Rockbox release, which I installed today and can dual-boot with the Sandisk 02.01.35.

I've played along (on a guitar that's been tuned with an electronic tuner) with Tony Rice's version of "Jerusalem Ridge" from his "Unit of Measure" album with these three firmwares, plus iTunes on my Mac and an iPod nano.

The results are interesting:

1) iTunes on my Mac, iPod nano, and Clip v2 with the new 02.01.35 firmware: it's in tune with my guitar - sounds good.

2) Clip v2 with the old 02.01.32 firmware *and* with the new Rockbox firmware: the playback is noticeably flat and so is out of tune with the guitar.

Hmmm...

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #38 of 1,093
sweet finally I can rb my clip+ I notice all the menu and settings are similar to my rb'ed fuze

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 1,093
cant seem to find a way to lock it
no resume playback (error)
decrease battery life(just like the rockboxed fuze)

hopefully a new update will fix the above problems

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #40 of 1,093
I have been using my Rockbox'd Clip+ since yesterday and I am amazed at the quality I am getting from my Clip+. I can't wait until all the kinks are worked out on Rockbox.

I get a playlist error with every file I play but it plays everything fine - even cuesheets.

I couldn't be happier with this tiny thing.

EDIT - if anyone would like a copy of my CFG file, let me know.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #41 of 1,093
It works but it is very buggy still. It crashes, stops playing at times and since you cannot write to flash, database and playlist functionality is pretty broken. I also could not get it to play at not high volume (IOW, decline stops at some point but it does not turn off)

Having said that, the EQ is a lot better than with the OF. SQ overall may be a bit better but could also be placebo

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #42 of 1,093
I've posted on head-fi before, but I think I'd be a TOTAL NOOBIE when it comes to Rockbox.

Forgive me for sounding dense and if anyone wants they can PM me with their experience.

From what I've heard of my Clip ESPECIALLY on classical music, it is truly an AMAZING player.

What effect will Rockbox have on this in terms of my music tastes.

Sorry for being dense, here, but at middle age, STILL getting used to DAP technology

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #43 of 1,093
I got Rockbox up and running on my Clipv2.
biggrin.gif

However I'm facing a few issues.

- My database can't seem to initialize any of my songs, but I can see all files in file managaer.
- I get a playlist error when I play a song, but it still plays. Not much of a problem.
- Playlist functionality seems to be broken as of now. I can't create/save playlists.
I wanted to know from other members who have Rockboxed their Clips, does the playlist manager display the playlists that were created for OF? I don't see any of those.
- Hold button doesn't work. Not a problem for me as I don't use it.
- Settings can't be saved. Though I think I can manually save the .cfg file by connecting it to PC.

Other than these problems, everything else seems to work pretty fine. A couple of games/plugins are broken, but that isn't really important as of now. I wish I could atleast get my database to initialize my songs so it can be much more usable.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #44 of 1,093
Quote:

Originally Posted by viralbug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got Rockbox up and running on my Clipv2.
biggrin.gif

However I'm facing a few issues.

- My database can't seem to initialize any of my songs, but I can see all files in file managaer.
- I get a playlist error when I play a song, but it still plays. Not much of a problem.
- Playlist functionality seems to be broken as of now. I can't create/save playlists.
I wanted to know from other members who have Rockboxed their Clips, does the playlist manager display the playlists that were created for OF? I don't see any of those.
- Hold button doesn't work. Not a problem for me as I don't use it.
- Settings can't be saved. Though I think I can manually save the .cfg file by connecting it to PC.

Other than these problems, everything else seems to work pretty fine. A couple of games/plugins are broken, but that isn't really important as of now. I wish I could atleast get my database to initialize my songs so it can be much more usable.

The Rockbox port for the Clip v2 and Clip+ is read-only right now. When it makes the database, it has to save it, but it can't because it's read-only. Same thing with saving playlists and settings on the Clip v2/+. You can edit a .cfg file and copy it to the Clip, but that's the only way you can save settings on it now. Until they get the internal memory to both read and write, database won't work.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #45 of 1,093
So will there be a Mac friendly way to do this? I haven't played with rockbox since I had a 1G Nano but this is making me want a Clip+ even more now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back