Sansa Clip and Cowon j3
Jul 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dreamLRG

Head-Fier
I know there is a huge price difference, but how does the sansa clip+rockbox match up with the cowon j3, in comparison with sound quality. Is there like a huge difference?

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 11
I think this question was addressed in an earlier thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/561569/cowon-bbe-bbe-good-sound-quality-is-it-a-myth

Basically without enhancements, the Sansa Clip+ sounds more analytical/accurate than the Cowon J3, but if you like to use EQ's or other enhancements (BBE/BBE+), then the J3 is the better choice....don't quote me on that though since I haven't heard the difference between the two myself yet (I'm looking to purchase the J3 because I'm not too thrilled about the Sansa Clip's user interface).

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 11

The Sansa clip VS Cowon J3 has become a debate more about battery life/Cost as opposed to sound quality. Depending on your IEMS/Phones - You wouldn't really be able to tell THAT great of a difference. You would have to have a decent pair of analytical ears - And you would have to be concentrating.

Thus: No huge difference. If you think the extra battery life + UI is worth the price difference - then go for it.
Quote:
I know there is a huge price difference, but how does the sansa clip+rockbox match up with the cowon j3, in comparison with sound quality. Is there like a huge difference?

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 11
**The following post only matters if you care about storage space and in need of more than 36gigs**

I thought that the Sansa clip was great because its "cheap" but here in Canada (not sure where you're from), its actually not that cheap considering a 4gig clip is $50 and a 32 gig J3 is $280

4gig x 8 = 32gig

so

$50x8 is $400

and also considering that j3 has much better battery life, UI, screen. Go for the J3

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

i've had my rockbox'd clip+ for a while and i loved the sq and thought it was bloody awesome, but i just bought a used 8gb dmb version of J3 for around $69 and holy crap the sound quality was a big difference for me. especially with my balanced, neutral, and slightly boring sounding ba iem (soundmagic pl-50) it made it more fun without muddying the sq. the sound enhancements on j3 is a huge difference from the sound enhancements on clip+

i just love the fact that my beloved pl-50 can sound neutral and analytical, or punchy and fun sounding like an m50, depending on the music and what i feel like.

i'm visiting korea atm so that's why i was able to buy it for such low price but now that i know how great it sounds, i would gladly pay $200+ for it.

i don't think i'll ever give up my J3. i'm taking this one to the grave with me lol

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 11
I own both the Sansa Clip+ and Cowon J3. Both are great sounding DAPs but I think my Rockboxed Clip+ has the better SQ. The thing I don't like about the Cowon DAPs is that IMO it has poor instrument seperation and soundstage compared to my other DAPs (Clip+, Fuze, Sony X1060 and S639F and iPod Nano 6G) which has really good soundstage and instrument seperation.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
**The following post only matters if you care about storage space and in need of more than 36gigs**

I thought that the Sansa clip was great because its "cheap" but here in Canada (not sure where you're from), its actually not that cheap considering a 4gig clip is $50 and a 32 gig J3 is $280

4gig x 8 = 32gig

so

$50x8 is $400

and also considering that j3 has much better battery life, UI, screen. Go for the J3

A 2GB Clip+ is $30. Add to it a $20 32GB micro SDHC card, and you have a great $50 34GB player. As for battery life, if the Clip+ 12 hour battery life isn't enough, you could get a Veho Pebble XT usb battery pack for $30. It has 5,000 mah capacity, so it probably could power the Clip+ for at least 120 hours. The Clip+ can play while being charged by a usb battery pack or an AC usb charger.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

4gig x 8 = 32gig

so

$50x8 is $400

Quote:
 A 2GB Clip+ is $30. Add to it a $20 32GB micro SDHC card, and you have a great $50 34GB player. As for battery life, if the Clip+ 12 hour battery life isn't enough, you could get a Veho Pebble XT usb battery pack for $30. It has 5,000 mah capacity, so it probably could power the Clip+ for at least 120 hours. The Clip+ can play while being charged by a usb battery pack or an AC usb charger.

@JK1........Not everybody is in the USA and has access to that Amazon price, you know......

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

@JK1........Not everybody is in the USA and has access to that Amazon price, you know......

Yes, but in countries where the Clip+ is higher priced than in the US, the Cowon players and other brands of players will also probably be priced higher than in the US(although if Cowon players are cheap in South Korea this may be the exception).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back