Sangaku DIY NuTube Headphone Amp / Preamp
Apr 13, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #136 of 144
You won't believe it.

I used some 8 Pin dip sockets out of my stash, I don't know how old but probably one of my aliexpress 100 piece orders years ago.

I wanted to replace those and trimmed the leads down to absolute bare minimum. That was it. The pitch is gone, even with the crap sockets.

Edit: Pete answered, what an awesome guy.
Right on! Glad you tracked down the issue. Yes, Pete has always been generous when I have asked "noob" questions when purchasing items.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #137 of 144
Hi to everyone !!! My last project was NuHybrid Headphone Amp (3 years ago) and I would like to ask if anyone has built both Sangaku DIY and NuHybrid Headphone Amp. If you calculate the cost and the time to build it , the result is a better amp than NuHybrid ?? Worth the effort ?? Also is anyone from Europe that has built the amp , to tell me how much did pay for pete ebay purchase, except the 170 $+shipping cost (vat and maybe custom duties). I live in Greece, so for us its more pricey. According to my calculation, the total cost (pete's pcb etc plus components) will be over 600-650 €. NuHybrid Headphone Amp costed me around 150 €

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #140 of 144
You won't believe it.

I used some 8 Pin dip sockets out of my stash, I don't know how old but probably one of my aliexpress 100 piece orders years ago.

I wanted to replace those and trimmed the leads down to absolute bare minimum. That was it. The pitch is gone, even with the crap sockets.

Edit: Pete answered, what an awesome guy.
I have this same problem but it is only on my pre-amp out put. and only when I use the High gain switch.
I didn’t use sockets but trimmed all the leads down but that didn’t fix anything.
was there anything else that you did that helped?

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #141 of 144
I actually tracked the issue down to oscillation caused by bad solder joints, not only the sockets but at some other points as well. I would suggest to reflow everything that looks fishy, or completly every thing until you have proper solder joints. Also look from the top of the board if you can see the solder coming up to know that a solderjoint is properly.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #142 of 144
So, I finally finished building this amp and I can't seem to notice any problem. Is there anything to work on the trimpot? Did you guys just solrder it on the board and leave it be? just some of you already discussed it, but it still doesn't tell me much other then that they are used to adjust gain.

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #143 of 144
So, I finally finished building this amp and I can't seem to notice any problem. Is there anything to work on the trimpot? Did you guys just solrder it on the board and leave it be? just some of you already discussed it, but it still doesn't tell me much other then that they are used to adjust gain.

From Pete Millet's website:

"The trimpots allow you to tweak the gain a little, mostly so you can match the gain between the two channels."

Its been a while but IIRC, I used a 1KHz sine wave youtube video fed through my dac and into the Sangaku. I measured the voltage in AC on each channel outputs and adjusted the pots until both channels measured the same value.

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #144 of 144
From Pete Millet's website:

"The trimpots allow you to tweak the gain a little, mostly so you can match the gain between the two channels."

Its been a while but IIRC, I used a 1KHz sine wave youtube video fed through my dac and into the Sangaku. I measured the voltage in AC on each channel outputs and adjusted the pots until both channels measured the same value.
That sounds reasonable, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back