San Jose Meet - Sat August 6
Jun 9, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #61 of 259
I was reading through a recent meet impressions thread and Jahn had a good idea that I was already mulling over. I feel we could benefit greatly from finding a volunteer, that has a nack at organization/project management to get some type of gear itinerary/circulation/setup schedule so we can have an honest go at solving the answers to lifes plaguing problems in the head-fi world.

Something along the line of a list to todos (aka hd650/hd600 cables reviewing, gilmore lite vs the vhp-1, dac comparing, etc) with guidelines like "finish Senn. cable comparisons at 1pm, move senn cans to such and such table?

Does seem like a worthwhile proposition? Or should we leave the meet totally spontaneous each man for himself? I for one am the right-brained spontaneous type, so this is certainly not my cup of tea, but I've kinda got this silly idea that we could show the headfi community 'who daddy is' in terms of supermeets and impressions threads...

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #62 of 259
looking at the source list, I count just 5 or 6 dedicated CDP. I know that the meeting is in the hearth of the Valley and that CDs are obsolescent but still... What are we going to connect those 20+ hi-end amps and DACs to?
confused.gif

(before you ask, yes, I am bringing my Onix XCD-88
rolleyes.gif
)

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #63 of 259
good idea. To kick off the process, we could all have a look at your gear list and start proposing comparisons we are interested into. In my case for example I would like to compare (assuming the new Headroom gear will be there)
1) Woo Audio3, MPX3, Headroom Millet Hybrid and of course the big daddy E.A.R V20
2) CI VHP1, Gilmore Lite, Headroom Micro (Desktop Module), M³ Proto, Dyna[lo/hi]
3) Headroom Total Bithead, Headroom Micro ("Low power" Module), SR71, Super Macro v3,
4) Channel Islands Stack (VHP/VDA-1) vs Musical Fidelity X-Stack vs Headroom Micro Stack vs Benchmark DAC1 vs (why not?) Headroom TBH

I would also love to see how my XCD88 CDP stacks against the big boys but, as I said in my previous message, I am afraid the CDP will be too much in demand to be able to
do any A/B-ing with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbagump
I was reading through a recent meet impressions thread and Jahn had a good idea that I was already mulling over. I feel we could benefit greatly from finding a volunteer, that has a nack at organization/project management to get some type of gear itinerary/circulation/setup schedule so we can have an honest go at solving the answers to lifes plaguing problems in the head-fi world.

Something along the line of a list to todos (aka hd650/hd600 cables reviewing, gilmore lite vs the vhp-1, dac comparing, etc) with guidelines like "finish Senn. cable comparisons at 1pm, move senn cans to such and such table?

Does seem like a worthwhile proposition? Or should we leave the meet totally spontaneous each man for himself? I for one am the right-brained spontaneous type, so this is certainly not my cup of tea, but I've kinda got this silly idea that we could show the headfi community 'who daddy is' in terms of supermeets and impressions threads...

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #64 of 259
utep10 makes a good point, that with the amount of people there, the background noise is going to be pretty loud. Since were at a hotel, I bet theres a good chance they have some portable paneling/separators. Clarke68-- any idea of seeing if we can get our hands on some partitions o r portable walls? anyone up for bringing some acoustic paneling from home?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
good idea. To kick off the process, we could all have a look at your gear list and start proposing comparisons we are interested into. In my case for example I would like to compare (assuming the new Headroom gear will be there)
1) Woo Audio3, MPX3, Headroom Millet Hybrid and of course the big daddy E.A.R V20
2) CI VHP1, Gilmore Lite, Headroom Micro (Desktop Module), M³ Proto, Dyna[lo/hi]
3) Headroom Total Bithead, Headroom Micro ("Low power" Module), SR71, Super Macro v3,
4) Channel Islands Stack (VHP/VDA-1) vs Musical Fidelity X-Stack vs Headroom Micro Stack vs Benchmark DAC1 vs (why not?) Headroom TBH

wow, great ideas. sums up my game plans on the amp/dac side of things.

I'll keep a list of the ideas on post #1 for reference. Calaf you sound like a good potential nominee for organizing the comparisons and setups, provided others concur.

a few of my todos (after calafs suggestions):
1) any amps to inject bass and mid-bass into the akg k501?
2) Will I like upper end Senneheisers coming from the k501 camp?
3) Can upper end Grado and Alessandro replace the k501?

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #65 of 259
Quote:

I feel we could benefit greatly from finding a volunteer, that has a nack at organization/project management to get some type of gear itinerary/circulation/setup schedule so we can have an honest go at solving the answers to lifes plaguing problems in the head-fi world.

I like that: "lifes plaguing problems in the head-fi world"...like how are we going to house the homeless, end world hunger, get the troops back from Iraq and find out which source is a better match for the Stax 313/404!?!

But seriously, I've been thinking the same thing, as there are a few questions I have that I'd like to explore at this meet: Gilmore Lite vs. VHP-1, Gilmore Lite vs. Gilmore Lite w/ dedicated ps, Channel Islands stack vs. Musical Fidelity stack, etc. I think that kind of specific focus is better served at a mini-meet, and this one (large room in a nice hotel, lots of advance notice, Headroom coming) is likely to be a maxi-meet!

I think what Jahn was suggesting in his thread is going to each meet with your own agenda, so you can be reasonably pro-active and methodical in putting together the combinations you'd most like to hear.

That said, it seems like it could only help to use all of this advance planning time we have to facilitate putting together the more popular combos. I think putting people's comparison ideas on post #1 is a good idea to get us started...if only so, for example, Gilmore Lite owner X knows he needs to hook up with M3 owner Y when he first shows up. Let me do some thinking about the most appropriate way to make this happen...

Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
looking at the source list, I count just 5 or 6 dedicated CDP. I know that the meeting is in the hearth of the Valley and that CDs are obsolescent but still... What are we going to connect those 20+ hi-end amps and DACs to?

I have up to 4 NEC 6XEs that I can bring if we're short transports. If I have time I'll do some mods to them before August. Also, I'm bringing my Digital Domain FCN-1, which allows you to connect 1 transport to 5 DACs (3 via coax, 1 each toslink & aes/ebu).

Whenever possible, I'd encourage everyone to bring a complete system, so at the very least we can walk around and hear everyone's day-to-day rigs.

Quote:

Clarke68-- any idea of seeing if we can get our hands on some partitions o r portable walls? anyone up for bringing some acoustic paneling from home?

I don't know if the hotel can provide anything of acoustic significance, but I'll ask.

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #66 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I have up to 4 NEC 6XEs that I can bring if we're short transports.

Whenever possible, I'd encourage everyone to bring a complete system, so at the very least we can walk around and hear everyone's day-to-day rigs.

hey I use an nec6xe (to my AA DacMan) in my day to day stuff...and i'm bringing it
wink.gif

and looking at the list, the OP hasn't added my 3 sources that i'm bringing.
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #67 of 259
while I drive to San Jose from Santa Monica, I would bring my HD650's/Silver Dragon and my Luxman amp and a few cd's. I would be a little more hesitant to bring my pc as well, but I might.

unless maybe there is someone in my area who is going there who I could go with?

Jun 12, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #68 of 259
I'll answer a few questions.

There are no cubicle partitions available. The room might be divisible by a large partition, in which case one side of the room could accomodate 2 or 3 listeing stations and the other could be more open. I'll let you know about that tomorrow.

I'll probably have a room/suite opened up for me so I can chill out and take care of business calls. Not that I don't trust people, but I'm not having my G08 and EAR V20 moved from setup to setup. I plan on setting up the GO8/EARV20/K1000 in there. My thought is that if I get a suite, the living room could be used for comparison testing. People could set up 1-2 hour blocks throughout the day.

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #69 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
The room might be divisible by a large partition, in which case one side of the room could accomodate 2 or 3 listeing stations and the other could be more open...if I get a suite, the living room could be used for comparison testing.

Either of these, the smaller partition area or a suite, would be great for a "limited talking, listening only" room. Let us know what you can do!

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #70 of 259
blink.gif
Are all meets like this?! I'm so excited I almost want the summer to go faster!

I have another request - for a Senn PX-200. I've been considering one for my Zen Micro. I'd bring my PortaPros to compare. And my Micro.

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #71 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
I have another request - for a Senn PX-200. I've been considering one for my Zen Micro. I'd bring my PortaPros to compare. And my Micro.

I'll try to remember to bring my PX-200. Knowing how good I am at that perhaps it's better if you send me a PM shortly before the meeting
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #73 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
I'd like to go.. I could supply the ATH-W100.
San Jose is a 7hr drive from San Diego...
Dang it -

You might want to ping some of the socal headfiers and carpool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
If I can find a friend to keep me company...
while I drive to San Jose from Santa Monica, I would bring my HD650's/Silver Dragon and my Luxman amp and a few cd's. I would be a little more hesitant to bring my pc as well, but I might.

bingo?

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #74 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus
hey I use an nec6xe (to my AA DacMan) in my day to day stuff...and i'm bringing it
wink.gif

and looking at the list, the OP hasn't added my 3 sources that i'm bringing.
tongue.gif

I give up. The Marantz, the NEC and I get to guess between 4 MD players and your computer? eeep!

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #75 of 259
Is anyone doing a head count? I need to have a rough idea of how many people are coming.

I just picked up and Onix CD-1 redbook player, so I'll be bringing that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back