San Jose, CA Local Head-Fi Meet - January 30th at Alum Rock Library Event Room
Jan 2, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #76 of 237
Sign me and my brother up! I dont have much to share but ill bring them : yamaha eph100, rock it r-50 and koss portapros. My brother will bring his dt770.

Im really hoping to try out some open phones and meet some of y'all.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #77 of 237
Just got the Schiit Ragnarok and will try to bring it to the meet up.

Also, could you guys recommend some DAC pair with the Rag under $2000? (I know Ygg will definitely be the perfect match but still like try some others. lol.) 

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #78 of 237
@bhima congrats - first post of the year for this awesome meet. Welcome to the event, you should be impressed with our headphones. Don't worry we we'll make sure to keep your IEM's clean between tries.

@flyinsun without a doubt, my #1 recommendation for a DAC right now is the Bimby (Bifrost multibit). It has phenomenal price/performance ratio and many are decribing the sound as very organic / lifelike with it's R2R implementation.

Does anybody have the Bimby to bring to the meet?

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #79 of 237
@DecentLevi Thanks! Schiit' own product will always be on the top of list. I am trying to figure out if there are any other brand that can play with. Tried the Bel Canto Dac 3 but quite disappointed.. Have you got any chance to hear Audio-gd NFB-1/Dac-19?  

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #80 of 237
Me and several others tried the Gumby (Gungnir multibit) at the last meet, which has been reviewed by reputable users as quite comparable to the DAC-19. While many have praised this thing far up into the stratosphere, there didn't seem to be too much buzz about it then. It's smaller sibling, the Bimby has been garnering wide acclaim lately on many threads, and is even cheaper than both. Other DACs that are getting rave reviews from eveybody who's tried them are the smaller portable DAC/amps: Chord Mojo and Geek Out V2. These two at least, will be at the meet. Another well received DAC for low cost is the Bushmaster MK2

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #81 of 237
  Me and several others tried the Gumby (Gungnir multibit) at the last meet, which has been reviewed by reputable users as quite comparable to the DAC-19. While many have praised this thing far up into the stratosphere, there didn't seem to be too much buzz about it then. It's smaller sibling, the Bimby has been garnering wide acclaim lately on many threads, and is even cheaper than both. Other DACs that are getting rave reviews from eveybody who's tried them are the smaller portable DAC/amps: Chord Mojo and Geek Out V2. These two at least, will be at the meet. Another well received DAC for low cost is the Bushmaster MK2

I'd add the iFi micro iDSD to your list.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #83 of 237
I should also be able to make it!

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #85 of 237
I'll be trying to make it out, but no promises. If it works out, I'll bring a lighter setup than last time - Modi 2 >> Mini-X >> HE-6 (modded). That way I can fit it in one suitcase instead of two. 
happy_face1.gif

Also, could you guys recommend some DAC pair with the Rag under $2000? (I know Ygg will definitely be the perfect match but still like try some others. lol.) 

Just grab a gumby. It's more than good enough and can be had for not much over $1000 b-stock. (Yggy's nice too, though. It's one of the few DACs I've heard where the imaging is, as they say, "holographic." I've never compared the two side-by-side, so I'll steer away from comparisons.)

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #86 of 237
Welcome to the next meet, AtomikPi.

I personally believe that much of the holographic imaging experience can actually be influenced by the amp and / or tubes; and that the Bimby can be quite comparable to the Gumby. But maybe that's something we can compare at the meet. 
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #87 of 237
 my #1 recommendation for a DAC right now is the Bimby (Bifrost multibit). It has phenomenal price/performance ratio and many are decribing the sound as very organic / lifelike with it's R2R implementation.

I would really like to try one with a bottlehead crack / speedball and the hd650. If there's one at the meet and it sounds good, I might go purchase them as soon as i can.

I'd like to go to this meet either way. Sign me up, please :)

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #88 of 237

Well, if it were me, I'd listen to some others... While I saved for the yggy.

I'm done with half measures.... When I end up upgrading anyways

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #90 of 237
@DecentLevi Thanks for organizing. I'm new to the hobby and the forums here. I'd love to attend (mostly to meet new like-minded people) and hopefully demo some gear. Unfortunately all I can offer to bring are my HD-598's... still trying to figure out what my first "serious" purchase will be. Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back