San Jose, CA Local Head-Fi Meet - January 30th at Alum Rock Library Event Room
Dec 23, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #61 of 237
You know, I am a little disappointed with the DAC19-LC-TH900 setup. It's a little too aggressive and bright for my liking. I'm getting the burn in thing done now and will give it another shot when I get back from Christmas weekend travels on Monday.

The Bifrost-LC-HE560 combination is phenomenal though. I have not heard my HE-560 sound this clean and punchy.

Yup, the Bifrost been a knockout performer lately, and there will be at least two versions at the meet for comparison

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #62 of 237
You know, I am a little disappointed with the DAC19-LC-TH900 setup. It's a little too aggressive and bright for my liking. I'm getting the burn in thing done now and will give it another shot when I get back from Christmas weekend travels on Monday.

The Bifrost-LC-HE560 combination is phenomenal though. I have not heard my HE-560 sound this clean and punchy.

That's too bad. I really enjoyed your LC and DAC-19 through the HD650 at the SF meet.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #63 of 237
That's too bad. I really enjoyed your LC and DAC-19 through the HD650 at the SF meet.

I'm hoping this will change with some physical/brain burn-in. My modded TH-900 is on the bright/neutral side of things, and the transparent, aggressive LC kind of emphasizes that. The warmth of the DAC19 isn't enough to offset this.

I suspect that the LC really shines with slightly darker, smoother cans, like your HD650. I actually really, really like how it sounds with my HE-560, and will probably move it to my home setup if the TH900 pairing doesn't work out. We'll see!

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #65 of 237
Man I'd love to jump in if you still have spots open! I can bring LC, Bimby, GOV2, HD650, LFF Slants, LFF Code-X (hopefully) and ZMF Omni (hopefully). 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds fantastic. Hope to see you there!

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #66 of 237
Would love to attend. This would be my first meet. Just received my Chord Mojo to pair with my HD-650's. Lovin' it!
Though I am interested in other's experiences as well different gear.
David

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #68 of 237
Wow, I think the library did a great job explaining the event:

https://events.sjpl.org/event/hi-fi_audio_enthusiast_club

These were my words: 
"hi-fi audio enthusiasts on a quest for sonic perfection"
"...will be comparing hi-fi headphone systems, portable amps and DACs, as well as discussing related elements of science & technology and custom modifications."
Especially if an outsider were to drop by, I'm hoping we can share a good sounding rig with them, or maybe give them a bit of background on the hobby... any thoughts?

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #69 of 237
  HeadAmp is excited to be attending the meet, we will bring the following gear:

Blue Hawaii SE
Aristaeus
GS-X MkII

SR009
SR007mkI
HE1000
HE560
HD800
LCD-3f
LCD-X
LCD-XC
TH900

See you in San Jose!

Can HeadAmp also bring **MY** Blue Hawaii??

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #70 of 237
Wow, I think the library did a great job explaining the event:

https://events.sjpl.org/event/hi-fi_audio_enthusiast_club

These were my words: 
"hi-fi audio enthusiasts on a quest for sonic perfection"

"...will be comparing hi-fi headphone systems, portable amps and DACs, as well as discussing related elements of science & technology and custom modifications."

[COLOR=000000]Especially if an outsider were to drop by, I'm hoping we can share a good sounding rig with them, or maybe give them a bit of background on the hobby... any thoughts?[/color]

I'm actually kind of concerned about leaving my gear around in a public space where someone outside the community can come by and grab it. Ideally I'd watch my gear all the time, but realistically I'd want to move around and try out the setups at the meet. Do we have a plan for minimizing the risk of unpleasant surprises at this meet?

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #71 of 237
@stjj89 
@jazzfan and everybody else -

You bring up a good point. It will be helpful for everybody to watch over each other's gear, making sure nobody pockets anything, especially if it's somebody who just stopped in to take a look.

I will be arranging the tables in a sort of circular formation, vaguely like the photo below. This way we can all keep a better eye on each other's things, and it will all be in the same room so no hidden areas. However when I spoke with the library manager he did tell me that we should only expect maybe 2-3 outsiders the whole day.

The event will take place in a completely separate room from the library, and I recall walking by another event in the past there - it generally gave me the impression that it was a private event so I didn't even want to disturb it. Saturday is not a very busy day there, and most others will walking by will probably not even think to disturb us as well. I'm sure anybody who does come in will have no idea what's going on, and just have basic curiosity to check it out for a moment. Think of it as an opportunity. Just think of how awesome that would have been if you were introduced to this hobby at a younger age.

Nevertheless, I will also be reminding people to watch over each other's things closer to, and during the meet. 

(example table formation)

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #73 of 237
  @stjj89 

You bring up a good point. It will be helpful for everybody to watch over each other's gear, making sure nobody pockets anything, especially if it's somebody who just stopped in to take a look.

I will be arranging the tables in a sort of circular formation, vaguely like the photo below. This way we can all keep a better eye on each other's things, and it will all be in the same room so no hidden areas. However when I spoke with the library manager he did tell me that we should only expect maybe 2-3 outsiders the whole day.

The event will take place in a completely separate room from the library, and I recall walking by another event in the past there - it generally gave me the impression that it was a private event so I didn't even want to disturb it. Saturday is not a very busy day there, and most others will walking by will probably not even think to disturb us as well. I'm sure anybody who does come in will have no idea what's going on, and just have basic curiosity to check it out for a moment. Think of it as an opportunity. Just think of how awesome that would have been if you were introduced to this hobby at a younger age.

Nevertheless, I will also be reminding people to watch over each other's things closer to, and during the meet. 

Great idea for the tables! Very 'Knights of the round table'esque. I like it!

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #74 of 237
Several updates today 

1. new photos here

1. Good news, we have more than 25 electrical outlets! (Sorry I was misinformed earlier). There's 24 outlets on the walls, and many more from the floor towards the center of the room.

1. I will be coming in a few min. early to set up the tables and make sure the doors are open. If you want to check something out like a CD, you need only your Cali. ID to get a library card. 

Happy 2016

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #75 of 237
  @stjj89 

I like this idea. Thanks for addressing my concern!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back