San Jose, CA Local Head-Fi Meet - January 30th at Alum Rock Library Event Room
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #136 of 237
Physically I'll pass, mentally TBD.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #137 of 237
  @longster welcome! I really think going to a meet is the best way to get started in the hobby 
smily_headphones1.gif

NA Blur, that's interesting you chose the AK4490 instead of the multibit version. On one hand, I've heard it does an amazing job reproducing organic / natural sounds but I think I also read that it lacks impact on some systems. What would you say makes the stock version better than the multibit / Bimby version? And about the M920 I guess it's not gonna be present, but it's sure pricey!

Other than no need for the advanced DSP and upsampling I figured lower cost, fewer parts, and I can always change it in the future. The good news is that the 4490 sounds really good on first listen and compares honestly with the m903's DAC.

Currently listening to Arne Domnérus' Limehouse Blues on the Jazz at the Pawnshop album. You dig it?

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #139 of 237
damn, i have to scale back my attendance to a weak-ass "maybe". have to fly to the east coast for work/ an interview that week, but hoping to make it back in time for this thing!

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #141 of 237
Well I hope you guys can try to make it. As I mentioned before I took a whole week off for CanJam last year and have no regrets. You may just be blown away by discoveries at this upcoming meet that you would have never known otherwise. And it's turning out to be a legendary unique meet.

Just about two weeks to go... 

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #142 of 237
Adapters are here and the laptop is ready to go with a great selection of my hi-fi files. I hope you all enjoy the setup as much as I.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #143 of 237
Sounds excellent, NA Blur! I'm also planning on bringing some underground binaural field recordings to play on my rig.

Didn't mean to ignore your earlier post on the jazz. I'm really an electro junkie... I also produce this stuff from scratch too. Here's a link to some of my all time favorite electronic selections all the way from the 60's - 2000's. Jazz is cool sometimes too, especially the well mastered ones

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #144 of 237
  Sounds excellent, NA Blur! I'm also planning on bringing some underground binaural field recordings to play on my rig.

Didn't mean to ignore your earlier post on the jazz. I'm really an electro junkie... I also produce this stuff from scratch too. Here's a link to some of my all time favorite electronic selections all the way from the 60's - 2000's. Jazz is cool sometimes too, especially the well mastered ones

Something like Bluetech's Enter The Lovely on the Sines and Singularities album hit closer to home?

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #145 of 237
I figured I would remind everyone about how to properly swap headphones with an amp.

1.)  Turn the volume down to zero if the amp is on
2.) Plug in / unplug desired headphone
3.) If you plugged in a headphone Increase the volume
4.) If you removed a headphone leave the volume at zero for the next user

These steps prevent damage to your headphones and the amps.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #147 of 237
I'm in(if I don't forget), I'll stop by Costco and pick up a large combo pizza. It would be fun to have a Hifi meet/potluck.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #148 of 237
Welcome @Hypnotic Rhythm and @Mr.Tom

That's OK, just surprise us on what gear you bring unless you want to let us know too.

I'd say that would be fine to bring a pizza. I hope we keep our hands clean after eating.

I would however like to encourage everybody who's staying the whole day to take the time to go out for lunch.
I believe this helps being focused and relaxed, especially at events like this.

Also @electrostatic I hope to see you there - I really think you would enjoy this event!

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #150 of 237
If we have time and anyone wants to swap their DAC in my system for something else I would be down as long as the connectors match up. I am not afraid to have people do comparisons against any of my gear. I welcome it. It might tricky looking at the number of people, but if you are looking at something similar to the gear I have, but have a different component you want to swap in just ask and I will try to get your gear into the audio chain for a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back