San Jose, CA Local Head-Fi Meet - January 30th at Alum Rock Library Event Room
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #121 of 237
Hoping to make it myself. Thanks for organizing.
I plan on bringing:
Grace Design m903
HeadRoom BUDA
Schiit Bifrost with 4490 Board
HE-400i
ATH-R70x
Noontec Zoro II HD

Tentative for now, but once I get my music onto a laptop I should be definite.

Cheers all and hope to see you soon.

Welcome @dpron and 
@NA Blur

Wow, I think a lot of us will be interested to try your ATH-R70x and Noontec Zoro II HD. And about your Bifrost with 4490 board - is that essentially the most recent version of the Bifrost, just without the multibit implementation?

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #125 of 237
  Welcome @dpron and 
@NA Blur

Wow, I think a lot of us will be interested to try your ATH-R70x and Noontec Zoro II HD. And about your Bifrost with 4490 board - is that essentially the most recent version of the Bifrost, just without the multibit implementation?

Yes. After reading up on the Multibit version I want to stick with the AK4490 converter as I have no need for the DSP system utilized in the Multibit. I mainly want to conduct A/B testing against the DAC inside the m903 which Grace admits is a series of compromises. The DAC sounds great in my system and understanding that DAC changes rarely result in a wow moment is understood, but if the Bifrost sounds better than the m903 I might have something to talk about. Below is a quote from Grace Design regarding possible improvements over the m903 that the m920 possesses.

"The new, world-class M Series 32-bit Sabre DAC provides an astonishing improvement in digital performance..."
http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m920/m920.htm

I managed to transfer my hi-fi music over to a netbook so playback is good to go, but sadly it will be via USB. I prefer optical because it is less noise prone, but USB can sound very good too.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #126 of 237
  Do we know if anyone is bringing the new HD800 S?

I have it on order and will bring it if 1) it arrives before the meet, and 2) I am able to make the meet.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #127 of 237
@longster welcome! I really think going to a meet is the best way to get started in the hobby 
smily_headphones1.gif

NA Blur, that's interesting you chose the AK4490 instead of the multibit version. On one hand, I've heard it does an amazing job reproducing organic / natural sounds but I think I also read that it lacks impact on some systems. What would you say makes the stock version better than the multibit / Bimby version? And about the M920 I guess it's not gonna be present, but it's sure pricey!

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #128 of 237
Is there still room?

I'd like to attend with @gnolnait and another friend. We can bring a hodgepodge of gear (I'll bring my AKG K845BT, rest is TBD but potentials include Q701, AD900X, TH-X00 and miscellaneous sources/amps).

EDIT: Gear we plan on bringing:
K845BT
Q701
FiiO X3II
Mayflower O2/ODAC

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #129 of 237
I am a definite. Have a few adapters on the way so I can convert to a mini TOSLINK which I found on my laptop. I cannot wait to see you all there and enjoy the music.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #131 of 237
3X0, gnolnait and Bob - I've got you on the list! 
normal_smile .gif
  And Bob, no problem if you've been out of touch. May be a bit of a positive 'culture shock' with all the new gear.

It's very interesting to see several Headphoneus Sepremus members who are local and I've never seen around these forums before too 
eek.gif
confused.gif
smile.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #134 of 237
I am planning on attending. Baby sitting is setup, provided nothing screws that I'll be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back