San Francisco Bay Area - February 25, 2006
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #92 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Swept up in the fervor of the meet and Grahame's cool setup (and driven by a discount offer) I just bought TWO Squeezebox 3 devices. Maybe one for the main rig and one for my bedside rig. Maybe sell one. I don't know what came over me, but Heymaceo posted something about the discount that ended yesterday and I found myself at the online ordering page of Slim Devices. I ordered last night at 9pm and just got an email confirming shipment! Now that is fast work!
basshead.gif
The Future, here I come.
tongue.gif

Voltron,
The equipment listed in your public profile, er, I mean my generous nature, compels me to offer my assistance if you need any help on your journey into the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have a 2nd (1G) Squeezebox in the bedroom that acts as an alarm clock ( you can set it up to turn on with a given play list at a given time - the trick is having an amp that has a timed switch on ). Great for streaming internet radio stations - e.g. BBC World Service too!

Plus it looks like you'll get extra credit in the spousal department.
Heeding her well considered advice (obviously
wink.gif
), and at a discount.

Its almost as if you have to get some new interconnnects.

G.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #93 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttako
Sorry, LOL.
Well now everybody can see, I am a new guy here...

LOL. Well now everybody will know one other thing: Guys, this is the one and only TTako who is solely responsible for me having an Orpheus! He is an awesome guy, and a true gentleman.

AYT999 is a guy here, he makes cables sometimes. I haven't heard the SDS-XLR or the HD650 balanced with any other cable, but with his it sounded spectacular. His cables tend to sound very detailed but not harsh.

TTako - I found that the Orpheus is very particular about source and even power and interconnect setup. I have previously never really put much stock in power cables or special interconnects, but I'll be damned, they make a difference in this setup. Their effects can clearly be heard.

When I first got the system, out of my Esoteric DV50 (CDP) -> Esoteric D70 (DAC) the system sounded a little harsh in the upper registers, and with lacking bass. Burn in of the new tubes alone seemed to help this out. However, changing around interconnects and power cables directly into both my DV50/D70 and the Orpheus Yielded amazing results. Coupled with the tube burn in and the interconnect power changes, the sound took on what I beleive to be the hallmark of this system, smooth and creamy with good detail, but extremely linear sound as it rises in volume. It simply doesn't get strident. It makes almost all recordings sound good in their own particular way, and the bass becomes much more prominant as the high's seem to be more controlled. But the most fun is simply the 'realness' and how no particular aspect of the music seems to jump out at me. When I'm in the zone, listening to an album, I never think "I am listening to an Orpheus". I sit back, and hear the music. That is saying a lot for me (since the gorgeous thing is stareing right at me!). But yeah, we can go into specifics, and I'm sure this effect can be improved upon even more with better cabling, but what I found to work the best, and when I reconfigure this to the old setup, it definitely loses it's current magic, so here it is:

D70: Signal Cable Silver PowerCord
DV50s: Shunyata Copperhead PowerCord
P600: Quail PowerCord (I had my amp plugged directly into the socket at my parents place, which seems to provide slightly better dynamics, however, in the city, I plug it in to the PSAudio P600, which seems to add more detail and a blacker background than plugging it directly into the wall here)
HEV90: Quail PowerCord. I don't know what it is about this cord, but this is what made the biggest impact, along with the SilverPower Cord on the D70. It just makes it smooth and creamy, but with dynamics and oomph. Switching this out is noticable for me, and the system becomes more edgy/rough.
Interconnect Between D70 and HEV90: Cardas Cross 2M. This cable is warm and has a nice tonality and musicality. An upgrade in the future would have me looking for a cable that would simaltaenously provide better clarity overall, while adding a deeper sense of punch and pace (transient timing).

Neil

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #94 of 138
I'm not an amp? so confused.
confused.gif
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #95 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttako
Hi Neil,

I am curious what tweaking you did to the Orpheus???

Also could you point me where I can find that balanced cable?
Is the AYT999 an amplifier? Where can I find details about it?

Thanks,

Tamas

AYT999's are very temperamental... they have their on and off days. If you catch them on a good day you will not be let down... they are just very iffy.

I listen to mine just about every night and some nights I go to bed content and others I am pretty indifferent towards it.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #97 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame
Voltron,
The equipment listed in your public profile, er, I mean my generous nature, compels me to offer my assistance if you need any help on your journey into the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have a 2nd (1G) Squeezebox in the bedroom that acts as an alarm clock ( you can set it up to turn on with a given play list at a given time - the trick is having an amp that has a timed switch on ). Great for streaming internet radio stations - e.g. BBC World Service too!

Plus it looks like you'll get extra credit in the spousal department.
Heeding her well considered advice (obviously
wink.gif
), and at a discount.

Its almost as if you have to get some new interconnnects.

G.

I have to say that getting spouse points for buying audio equipment is a rare and wonderful thing.
tongue.gif
I will absolutely take you up on the offer of assistance Grahame, and I am sure we can manage to listen to some music while working if you come by sometime. Thanks.

And Neil, I think we need to do some cable-rolling on that setup of yours. Some Crystal Cables on power and IC duty could be a beautiful thing, although I was actually thinking that one of the new Shunyata Helix cables (Taipan or Python Alpha) would be particularly sweet on the Big O itself--my McCormack amp really loves its Python. Now if I could only figure out how to power up the AYT999 I got off eBay...
eek.gif

Just kidding ttako! Welcome to the crew, and thank you so much for sending the Orpheus into our midst. It's really great especially since our very generous friend Neil is so good at sharing.
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #98 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I'm not an amp? so confused.
confused.gif
wink.gif

Hi AYT999,

Sorry for my mistake...
Is it possible to ask you for a cable?

Neil,

Thanks for your kind words...
I see now... I also played with some interconnects... I was amazed about VdH hybrid ICs...
I don't know how is the power connector in the USA but here in hungary you can hear real difference when you rotate the power connector... (in that case the hot ond the zero exchanges their position giving a whole new situation for capacitive coupling thru the device's power transformer...
You could try. in one position it should sound better than in the other...
Just an advice...

The orpheus system sounds 10x better when hot BTW...

I felt the same as you desribed. It seemed with the orpheus as it where nothing between me and the music. No Electronic at least. It is a great feeling!
icon10.gif

Best regards,

Tamas

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #99 of 138
Quote:

I had a bunch of mostly old vinyl there but the ones left behind were not mine. Do you know who they belong[ed] to? Was it blessingx or someone else?

blessingx left the old vinyl behind with the turntable. anyone who wants either of them can take it

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #100 of 138
Quote:

I have to say that getting spouse points for buying audio equipment is a rare and wonderful thing.
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small](not to threadjack but)[/size] Squeezeboxes were a success with my spouse as well. No more audio media in the family room to contribute to the clutter...she can play anything she wants, any time, without hunting for for the CD...good-looking, yet not obtrusive.

And not least, she can wield her laptop to establish central domination over all music playing anywhere in the house, should she so choose.

We run three Squeezeboxes (family room, living room where my headphone gear is, and bedroom), plus the SoftSqueeze client on a PC in my den. It's great - I love being able to summon my music to any part of the house where I happen to be.

One day I'm sure to cave in and add another Squeezebox for the rarely-used guest bedroom. Not because there's really a need for one there, but just 'cause they're so neat.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #101 of 138
Oh sweet. Does that mean I can grab the vinyl, or does anyone else want it? I suppose I could make a trip to go see my brother at UCSC and pick them up on the way there or back. Since I have a TT, someone who is interested in getting into the hobby can take the one that was left there, though I'll grab it if absolutely no one else wants it.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #103 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
LOL, so many want to squeeze Alex.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Just me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #104 of 138
Ah, heck.. if noone wants the turntable, I'd take it. It'd definitely complement the pawn shop setup I use with my speakers!

Also, if I do get it, and pick it up at Neil's place, it wasn't ME who stole the Orpheus...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though, a turntable would be cool to add to my setup..

JCD

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #105 of 138
JCD and CT-
You are welcome to it JCD and CT already had a table so it seems like a good plan. I am curious what Ric donated in terms of records but it is also no biggie if Neil wants to keep them as a souvenir of the meet
tongue.gif

episiarch-
Glad to hear that you are enjoying a multi-Squeezebox setup at home, and this thread has been jacked plenty so no worries I am sure. I am looking forward to it but hoping that the setup, use and maintenance is not too taxing. I like the idea but I do not need another complex technology to master. I am guessing it isn't too bad though. Of course, I am using Macs so who knows if all bets are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back