Samsung S10
Sep 6, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #166 of 270
Fair enough. But there's zero risk if you pay via PayPal, and it's only a very small minority who have experienced the odd delay with Eglobal from what I've seen. With a microSD card slot that takes up to 1TB I think 128GB internal storage is more than enough.

Ahh, I thought they all didn't have a micro SD slot but it seems only the 5G version doesn't have it. I was wanting the 5G version tbh but I'm not sure if we are all ready for 5G yet?

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #167 of 270
Ahh, I thought they all didn't have a micro SD slot but it seems only the 5G version doesn't have it. I was wanting the 5G version tbh but I'm not sure if we are all ready for 5G yet?

I don't think the technology is mature enough for it to be worth it at the moment, and honestly I personally don't see any real world advantage in those kind of speeds. 4G+ is more than enough for music/video streaming or online gaming.

Sep 6, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #168 of 270
I don't think the technology is mature enough for it to be worth it at the moment, and honestly I personally don't see any real world advantage in those kind of speeds. 4G+ is more than enough for music/video streaming or online gaming.

Thanks.

I shall have a think about it, not sure yet. The only thing that puts me off is having to send it back to Hong Kong if anything goes wrong.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #169 of 270
Thanks.

I shall have a think about it, not sure yet. The only thing that puts me off is having to send it back to Hong Kong if anything goes wrong.

That made me hesitant too initially, but then I realised the mobile phone insurance that comes with my Nationwide FlexPlus account covers everything (not just accidental damage, but any kind of fault) and would be repaired in the UK under them. The account costs £13 per month but you also get worldwide family travel insurance (including winter sports) and UK and Europe breakdown cover along with the phone insurance, so it's definitely worth it. I probably wouldn't have imported from Hong Kong without having that mobile insurance though.

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #170 of 270
S10 sticks with EN-50332 volume regulations for one package setups (sources with bundled headphones),

Thus it will deliver:

0'5 into low loads (bundled earphones)
0'75 into open loads
1vrms into high loads

Non EU&South Korean iPhones neglect EN-50332 and deliver 1 Vrms no matter what load they 'see'.

Is there any way to 'trick' the S10 into activating the 1Vrms high-impedance mode, like you can with LG phones?

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #172 of 270
Audio Spec (No MQA but Tidal App supports anyway)

Ultra high quality audio playback
UHQ 32-bit & DSD64/128 support
PCM: Up to 32 bits, DSD: DSD64/128
  • *DSD64 and DSD128 playback can be limited depending on the file format.
Audio playback format
MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF

Hi,

I noted with interest that the S10 has capability for Ultra high quality audio playback, as per the post above.

I am trialling Amazons new HD music service and they have ULTRA HD albums in their catalogue. However, when I stream a UHD album on my S10 + via the Amazon Music App which they claim is 24bit/96khz, it tells me device capabilty of the phone is 24bit/48khz and therefore this is the rate it plays back at. Is there any way of increasing the sample rate on the S10 +, can't see anything in the manual?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #173 of 270

It's most likely that the Amazon Music app is outputting all audio via the Android mixer, which resamples everything to 48kHz. The only apps I know of that can bypass this and so play music bitperfect without resampling are Neutron Player and UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). The latter actually allows you to stream Tidal music through it. You can't currently stream Amazon Music audio through it, but I suspect they might add that in the future, especially if Amazon Music HD takes off, which I think it will considering it's a lot cheaper than Tidal.

EDIT: This Amazon Music HD FAQ confirms that the app maxes out at 48kHz on Android (and iOS), and external USB DACs aren't currently supported on Android either: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_AMHDEDU_2a1_w?node=14070322011

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #174 of 270
It's most likely that the Amazon Music app is outputting all audio via the Android mixer, which resamples everything to 48kHz. The only apps I know of that can bypass this and so play music bitperfect without resampling are Neutron Player and UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). The latter actually allows you to stream Tidal music through it. You can't currently stream Amazon Music audio through it, but I suspect they might add that in the future, especially if Amazon Music HD takes off, which I think it will considering it's a lot cheaper than Tidal.

EDIT: This Amazon Music HD FAQ confirms that the app maxes out at 48kHz on Android (and iOS), and external USB DACs aren't currently supported on Android either: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_AMHDEDU_2a1_w?node=14070322011

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Hopefully Android devices will support higher sample rates in future, sure they will. Also a bummer that currently Amazon HD not supported on Chromecast, that will surely happen soon.
So currently I'm a bit restricted on what I can do with Amazon HD. Notwithstanding the android restriction, I can't stream Amazon wirelessly to my Cambridge Audio CXN 2 streamer(then out to Chord Qutest DAC) from their desktop app due to Chromecast not being supported yet. Shame because been fairly impressed with it otherwise.

Didn't know Tidal was available with UAPP player, thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #175 of 270
Hi,

Thanks for reply. Hopefully Android devices will support higher sample rates in future, sure they will.

I wouldn't count on it, people have been complaining about that for years...What rate does the Amazon Music app say is being output when you play a 'HD' i.e. CD-quality, 16bit/44.1kHz track? Hopefully it isn't upsampling those to 48kHz, which can degrade sound quality.

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #176 of 270
I wouldn't count on it, people have been complaining about that for years...What rate does the Amazon Music app say is being output when you play a 'HD' i.e. CD-quality, 16bit/44.1kHz track? Hopefully it isn't upsampling those to 48kHz, which can degrade sound quality.

Picked three 16 bit songs at random, all played at 44.1 so no upsampling.

I'm fairly optimistic that this is just the start for Amazon as regards Hi res music. Hoping they go into partnership with more HiFi companies to allow greater compatability with Network streamers etc.

Regarding the phones and sampling rate, I still think my Galaxy gives better sound than either my laptop or PC when played through my streamer/dac/amp/speakers, even though the laptop and pc apparently play back at higher sampling rate. TBH, even though I can clearly tell the difference in quality between MP3 and 16 bit flac, and then between 16 and 24 bit flac, I dont really think 24 bit/48 khz sampling sounds markedly different to 192 khz sampling.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #178 of 270
To follow up on my hissing issue with the s10...

I sent it in to Samsung and they replaced the entire board. So far so good except I still get the hiss when I enable the adapt sound feature. I'll leave it off to avoid that background noise.
I do feel a little disappointed that enabling that feature brings a hissing sound with it. I've tried all the settings and including personalized with the same result. You can immediately hear it while setting up the personalized option.

I guess it is what it is. DAC coming soon.

Sep 22, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #179 of 270
To follow up on my hissing issue with the s10...

I sent it in to Samsung and they replaced the entire board. So far so good except I still get the hiss when I enable the adapt sound feature. I'll leave it off to avoid that background noise.
I do feel a little disappointed that enabling that feature brings a hissing sound with it. I've tried all the settings and including personalized with the same result. You can immediately hear it while setting up the personalized option.

I guess it is what it is. DAC coming soon.

Yeah Adapt Sound degrades sound quality, but I don't see any benefit to using it anyway. I much prefer to use Neutron Player which bypasses all Samsung / Android sound processing to use the internal DAC to its full potential with bit-perfect playback. I don't see any need in getting an external DAC for the S10 if you do this.

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #180 of 270
Yeah Adapt Sound degrades sound quality, but I don't see any benefit to using it anyway. I much prefer to use Neutron Player which bypasses all Samsung / Android sound processing to use the internal DAC to its full potential with bit-perfect playback. I don't see any need in getting an external DAC for the S10 if you do this.

Maybe a dumb question but can neutron support Spotify streaming?
I do have GBs of downloaded mp3's on a hard drive but a lot of my current listening is through Spotify premium extreme quality download.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back