1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Samsung S10

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by psikey, Feb 22, 2019.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
  1. gazzington
    I need a new phone and am considering this one. I want to use it at work for music. Do I need an external DAC/amp to get the best out of it. Ie ibasso dongle, audio quest red, fiio q5s.

2. psikey
    I'm using mine just fine with my SE846's. Depends what ear/headphones your driving. I tried it with first. Plenty of USB dongles if you need better afterwards.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Wes S likes this.
  3. Wes S
    I use mine with my Campfire Lyra II, just from the phone jack, and it sounds killer, and gets the job done just right.

4. bobbooo
    If it's one of the Snapdragon S10 series you're considering, then no you likely won't need to buy anything else, unless you have very high impedance or low sensitivity headphones, then you might need an external amp to drive them to satisfying volume levels. The Exynos S10 however is audibly inferior to the Snapdragon one, so you might benefit from an external DAC with those.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. CosmoCat
    I finally decided to get the Exynos s10+ and I'm really satisfied with the sound coming from the HP jack.

Playing in UAPP bit perfect to Sennheiser momentum inears. Sennheiser hd25 and lineeout to Gilmore lite.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. psikey
    There's nothing wrong with the Exynos one either.

7. bobbooo
    Anandtech showed the Exynos variants have considerably worse audio quality than the Snapdragon models, as can be seen by the higher number and magnitude of distortion peaks (either side of the central signal peak) in the plots below.

Snapdragon:
    [​IMG]

Exynos:
    [​IMG]

8. psikey
    I prefer to use my ears. More relevent to me.

Also been many firmware updates since then that could have changed since that test.

9. bobbooo
    The Exynos audio chips have been inferior for the last few Galaxy S generations now, so I doubt any firmware changes would make a difference. Having said that, the Exynos variants aren't absolutely awful, just not as good as the Snapdragon models, or most other flagships for that matter. The distortion on the Exynos is reasonably ok, but at its highest is around -72dB below the signal, which could be audible with good headphones. All the distortion from the Snapdragon model is however less then -112dB below the signal, so almost certainly completely inaudible. It's by far the better choice for audiophiles.

10. psikey
    I use a Sony A105 now anyway but S10+ is still fine for most regular people who typically pay sub £100 for ear/headphones. I wouldn't suggest for critical listening but Spotify on the go its great.

11. Wes S
    Actually, I am using my Noble Savant II ($500) and Campfire Lyra II($700), with my S10+ Snapdragon, and it sounds incredible. The dynamics and clarity are there in spades. My S10+ blows, my Fiio Q1 mII, out of the water. I am not saying the Q1 MkII is the best, but does get great reviews. So for those that have fairly sensitive iems, the S10+ is really good. I use Tidal HiFi/Master, by the way.

psikey likes this.
  12. sdh1084
    Wait a minute what's going on here?

13. psikey
    What ? You mean the 352.8 kHz/24bit MQA ?
    Or that its not now my perfect mobile setup :)

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13