Samsung S10
Sep 23, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #181 of 270
Maybe a dumb question but can neutron support Spotify streaming?
I do have GBs of downloaded mp3's on a hard drive but a lot of my current listening is through Spotify premium extreme quality download.

Unfortunately not. No other apps can either, due to Spotify's DRM restrictions. Neutron can however steam from a http server, so I'm currently trying to get a ridiculously convoluted method working where I stream the audio output of my PC while playing Spotify on there, via a virtual sound card and a http server to Neutron. Hasn't worked so far though...

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #182 of 270
Hi - I have 10+ Snapdragon. Looking to get a dac/amp combo so I can listen to my fostex 900's around the house (away from desk) with Spotify being primary source. Thinking IFI black or Chord mojo... Do either of these work? I can't find a place to test locally and see there are a lot of issues with DACs and this phone... thanks!

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #183 of 270
Hi - I have 10+ Snapdragon. Looking to get a dac/amp combo so I can listen to my fostex 900's around the house (away from desk) with Spotify being primary source. Thinking IFI black or Chord mojo... Do either of these work? I can't find a place to test locally and see there are a lot of issues with DACs and this phone... thanks!

With a low impedance and high sensitivity, the Fostex 900 are easily driven to satisfying levels by the S10+, and the DAC in the Snapdragon variant that you have is likely transparent within audible limits, so it's highly doubtful there will be any audible improvement with another DAC/amp.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #184 of 270
With a low impedance and high sensitivity, the Fostex 900 are easily driven to satisfying levels by the S10+, and the DAC in the Snapdragon variant that you have is transparent within audible limits, so you will hear no improvement with another DAC/amp.
Not sure I completely agree with this, as I have been experimenting with my S10+ for weeks. The S10+ sounds really good on it's own, but I do believe you can get improvement, with a DAP or dongle.

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #185 of 270
Not sure I completely agree with this, as I have been experimenting with my S10+ for weeks. The S10+ sounds really good on it's own, but I do believe you can get improvement, with a DAP or dongle.

With what device did you hear an improvement? Do you have the Snapdragon or Exynos S10+? And what is the impedance of the headphones you're using?

Oct 2, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #186 of 270
Hey all - thanks for chat, but I am simply asking if external dacs will work or not. (not enough volume from phone is point, and without line out I don't want to double amp).

So - will ifi black, chord mojo, or similar work please?

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #187 of 270
Anyone know what DAC the S10E Snapdragon uses? I tried searching around but could not find.

It’s surprisingly hiss free even with my Andro. Sounds pretty good too.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #188 of 270
Hey all - thanks for chat, but I am simply asking if external dacs will work or not. (not enough volume from phone is point, and without line out I don't want to double amp).

So - will ifi black, chord mojo, or similar work please?

My XtremPro X1 USB DAC that I use with my laptop works fine with my Snapdragon S10e. Don't have experience with any others though.

Strange you don't get enough volume on your THX 900s, as they have a decently high sensitivity and low impedance. Actually, the low impedance might be causing the S10 to run in low voltage (0.5Vrms max) mode, so that might be the cause.

@QuadraKev said the S10 outputs 0.75V into open loads (i.e. the very high input impedance of an external amp) which is close to line level isn't it? So wouldn't that be equivalent to a line-out?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #189 of 270
Anyone know what DAC the S10E Snapdragon uses? I tried searching around but could not find.

It’s surprisingly hiss free even with my Andro. Sounds pretty good too.

Ifixit's teardowns showed that all the Snapdragon S10 variants have Qualcomm's excellent Aqstic WCD9341 DAC inside: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/wcd9341

I'm not surprised you can't hear any hiss - the Snapdragon S10 series' noise floor (measured here) is very low, below the absolute threshold of audibility (-120dB) in fact.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #190 of 270
Oct 10, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #192 of 270
Hi!
I'm planning get a S10 or S10+ Exynos version.

My question is:
Are they good with UAPP and Hi-res driver?

Not particularly no, as I said earlier in this thread:

I'd get the Snapdragon variant over the Exynos. The Exynos version has poor audio implementation in comparison, as shown by Anandtech here (bottom of the page): https://www.anandtech.com/show/14072/the-samsung-galaxy-s10plus-review/16. The Snapdragon variant is also sightly faster, more efficient (better battery life, stays cooler), and with sightly better camera performance. You also get an FM radio and dual-band GPS as a bonus.

I'd also personally use Neutron Player over UAPP, as it has a higher quality audio driver and the added bonus of high-quality DSP with a 30-band parametric equalizer.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #193 of 270
Not particularly no, as I said earlier in this thread:

I'd get the Snapdragon variant over the Exynos. The Exynos version has poor audio implementation in comparison, as shown by Anandtech here (bottom of the page): https://www.anandtech.com/show/14072/the-samsung-galaxy-s10plus-review/16. The Snapdragon variant is also sightly faster, more efficient (better battery life, stays cooler), and with sightly better camera performance. You also get an FM radio and dual-band GPS as a bonus.

I'd also personally use Neutron Player over UAPP, as it has a higher quality audio driver and the added bonus of high-quality DSP with a 30-band parametric equalizer.

Ahh to bad. I live in Sweden and can get the Exynos easy. I will wait for better offers then.
Thank You for quick reply :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #194 of 270
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back