Samsung S10
Apr 2, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #211 of 270
What if I want to buy the new S20, it has no audio jack :sob: Does a thread exist for it?

No there's no thread for the S20, precisely because it doesn't have an audio jack, and so is not a good phone for an audiophile. I suggest you stick to the S10 series, or get one of the newer LG phones which still have audio jacks.

If enough people vote with their wallets and stop buying phones without audio jacks, companies like Samsung are more likely to bring them back, as Sony have, and Samsung themselves did with other features like SD card slots and water resistance, after the backlash against their omission from the S6.

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #212 of 270
No there's no thread for the S20, precisely because it doesn't have an audio jack, and so is not a good phone for an audiophile. I suggest you stick to the S10 series, or get one of the newer LG phones which still have audio jacks.

If enough people vote with their wallets and stop buying phones without audio jacks, companies like Samsung are more likely to bring them back, as Sony have, and Samsung themselves did with other features like SD card slots and water resistance, after the backlash against their omission from the S6.

It's a "no" from me then, thanks for your help.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #213 of 270
If you want the latest and greatest, I would buy the new LG V60 Thinq. The V series from LG has a really good reputation and I assume that the new V60 would be the same. Also to consider is the new Xperia 1 Mark II. I don't think that the Sony is going to sound as good, to be honest. If you don't need the latest, then get a S10.

May 6, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #215 of 270
S10+ headphone jack to iem
Versus
S10+ to Bluetooth dac/amp (like fiio btr3k) connected to iem

(iem like blon bl-03 and other sub$100 chifi iem)

Which has better sound? Worth buying the Bluetooth dac/amp for sound improvement?

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #216 of 270
Is it me or did the soundquality improve With The April update on the Galaxy s10+ exynos?

My S10+ Exynos with UAPP playing MQA Tidal tracks to my SE846's or K10U sounds as good as most players I've had to me. I might not have "resolving" ears like some.

I do also listen via a BTR5 balanced but the phone headphone out itself is real close for my hearing.

May 19, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #217 of 270
If you want the latest and greatest, I would buy the new LG V60 Thinq. The V series from LG has a really good reputation and I assume that the new V60 would be the same. Also to consider is the new Xperia 1 Mark II. I don't think that the Sony is going to sound as good, to be honest. If you don't need the latest, then get a S10.

From what I've read the V60 is a down-step compared to the V30 which I had and I'm not missing that with S10+ audio feeding easy to drive IEM's (with UAPP + MQA add-on).

I'm constantly hovering over importing a Japanese Sony ZX507 but I know it will be a marginal sound difference for £500+ I just love the design/hardware (had UK one but sent back due to volume cap).

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #218 of 270
My S10+ Exynos with UAPP playing MQA Tidal tracks to my SE846's or K10U sounds as good as most players I've had to me. I might not have "resolving" ears like some.

I do also listen via a BTR5 balanced but the phone headphone out itself is real close for my hearing.
I've used LGs since the V20 and the Quad DAC has always been noticeably better than the headphone output on other phones. Now I've got a V50 and an S10+ (exynos) and I'm shocked that the Samsung sounds as good to my ears as the V50. Now I have to choose which one to keep and as the S10+ is a bit better than the V50 in most areas I'll probably end up keeping the Samsung.

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #219 of 270
Well I did end up importing a Sony ZX507 and sound quality is better throughout but not night/day. The S10+ is still great for easy to drive IEM's in my opinion if you just want to have a great phone that's also good for music. I rarely listen to my S10+ wired though since getting ZX507 & BTR5 (balanced cable).

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #220 of 270
Can someone with the Snapdragon S10+ share the sound quality and signature of it? I'm currently with the LG G6 and it sounds too neutral/bright to my liking. I want something more dynamic and slightly more smooth warm in the bass department. How is the signature of the Snapdragon S10+?

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #221 of 270
Can someone with the Snapdragon S10+ share the sound quality and signature of it? I'm currently with the LG G6 and it sounds too neutral/bright to my liking. I want something more dynamic and slightly more smooth warm in the bass department. How is the signature of the Snapdragon S10+?
You just nailed it. The S10+ Snapdragon, which I have owned since they came out, is a warm smooth sound with decent width and better depth front to back, with hard hitting bass and good dynamics. My Noble K10U sound really good off just the phone wired. The bass is the star of the show, with smooth treble and a really nice and present midrange. Where my iBasso DX160 outshines the phone is in sound stage size and width and more forward mids/highs, but I would be happy with just the S10+ Snapdragon.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #222 of 270

There will likely be no audible difference in sound quality between them. Here are the distortion measurements of the S10+:

00080810.jpg

And here are the same measurements for the LG G7 (which has the same audio chip as the G6):

00079791.jpg

The distortion spikes to the right of the main test signal in the middle are likely way too low on both phones to be audible. As for 'sound signature', both phones have nicely flat frequency response (as all DAPs/DACs/amps should).

S10+:
00080802.jpg

LG:
00079784.jpg

If you want "something more dynamic and slightly more smooth warm in the bass department", then get different headphones, or just use EQ.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #223 of 270
You just nailed it. The S10+ Snapdragon, which I have owned since they came out, is a warm smooth sound with decent width and better depth front to back, with hard hitting bass and good dynamics. My Noble K10U sound really good off just the phone wired. The bass is the star of the show, with smooth treble and a really nice and present midrange. Where my iBasso DX160 outshines the phone is in sound stage size and width and more forward mids/highs, but I would be happy with just the S10+ Snapdragon.
Interesting! Thanks for the info, as I've read the Noble K10U seems to be an analytical and bright sounding iem (have not auditioned it) so to think that when paired with S10+ it has good dynamics in the lows department is great to hear as it sounds like the S10+ had done some work in strengthening the bass performance of the IEM which is what I'm looking for.

There will likely be no audible difference in sound quality between them. Here are the distortion measurements of the S10+:

00080810.jpg

And here are the same measurements for the LG G7 (which has the same audio chip as the G6):

00079791.jpg

The distortion spikes to the right of the main test signal in the middle are likely way too low on both phones to be audible. As for 'sound signature', both phones have nicely flat frequency response (as all DAPs/DACs/amps should).

S10+:
00080802.jpg

LG:
00079784.jpg

If you want "something more dynamic and slightly more smooth warm in the bass department", then get different headphones, or just use EQ.

Interesting, so when you were auditioning them both side by side in terms of sound signature both sounded identical?

My current IEM is the Westone UM 30 PRO V1, which is recognized for its dark sounding sound signature with aggressive and fast bass response and thick mids. When i first got these I was using Sony's Xperia Z1 and than afew years later I upgraded to the LG G6.

When paired with the dark sounding Westone UM 30 PRO
Xperia Z1: Strong, Fast, Dynamic, Aggressive and Smooth Bass, Thick Mids, Tamed Smooth Highs, Narrow & Initimate Sounding Soundstage
LG G6: Neutral Flat Spacious Sound and somewhat lackluster and weak/surpressed bass response. Mids are no longer thick sounding and in your face kind of experience.

And these were with no equalizer.
I've regreted selling my Xperia Z1 now even though the LG G6 is better in overal performance but the sound signature is just not my cup of tea, eq-ing it doesn't seem to solve the problem for me.

If the Snapdragon S10+ sounds closer to what the Z1 sounded i'll be impressed and it will be a keeper. From what I've A/B-ed so far the only phones that comes close to how the Xperia Z1 sounded were the Huawei Phones such as Mate 20 X and P30 (non-pro). These 2 phones had very strong, dynamic and clean bass prescience with thick mids might even be better than the Xperia Z1 but at this point it has been over 6 years since i had the Z1 so I can't really say if it's improvement for sure but what I know is it seems to make my UM 30 PROs shine again, the way people had describe the UM 30 PROs in this forum.

With the LG G6 it sounds like a different IEM altogether, might be a good thing for those who like analytical sound signature and to think that it can even transform a dark sounding and thick sounding IEM such as the UM 30 PRO into a neutral and spacious sounding IEM makes me wonder how much weaker in bass would a naturally neutral sounding IEM such as K10 or a bright sounding IEM get when paired with the LG G6.

That said I would rather go with Samsung than Huawei due to the lack of support from Google, those 2 mentioned though are not affected as they were released before the ban but they are probably older than S10 in terms of specs. Based on my A/B with Huawei Phones it seems possible that phones with the Kirin processors might just have the same sound signature as them since both phones are using Kirin Processors. But if i'm not wrong those processors are exclusive to Huawei only, might need to do some research on that.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #224 of 270
Interesting! Thanks for the info, as I've read the Noble K10U seems to be an analytical and bright sounding iem (have not auditioned it) so to think that when paired with S10+ it has good dynamics in the lows department is great to hear as it sounds like the S10+ had done some work in strengthening the bass performance of the IEM which is what I'm looking for.

Interesting, so when you were auditioning them both side by side in terms of sound signature both sounded identical?

My current IEM is the Westone UM 30 PRO V1, which is recognized for its dark sounding sound signature with aggressive and fast bass response and thick mids. When i first got these I was using Sony's Xperia Z1 and than afew years later I upgraded to the LG G6.

When paired with the dark sounding Westone UM 30 PRO
Xperia Z1: Strong, Fast, Dynamic, Aggressive and Smooth Bass, Thick Mids, Tamed Smooth Highs, Narrow & Initimate Sounding Soundstage
LG G6: Neutral Flat Spacious Sound and somewhat lackluster and weak/surpressed bass response. Mids are no longer thick sounding and in your face kind of experience.

And these were with no equalizer.
I've regreted selling my Xperia Z1 now even though the LG G6 is better in overal performance but the sound signature is just not my cup of tea, eq-ing it doesn't seem to solve the problem for me.

If the Snapdragon S10+ sounds closer to what the Z1 sounded i'll be impressed and it will be a keeper. From what I've A/B-ed so far the only phones that comes close to how the Xperia Z1 sounded were the Huawei Phones such as Mate 20 X and P30 (non-pro). These 2 phones had very strong, dynamic and clean bass prescience with thick mids might even be better than the Xperia Z1 but at this point it has been over 6 years since i had the Z1 so I can't really say if it's improvement for sure but what I know is it seems to make my UM 30 PROs shine again, the way people had describe the UM 30 PROs in this forum.

With the LG G6 it sounds like a different IEM altogether, might be a good thing for those who like analytical sound signature and to think that it can even transform a dark sounding and thick sounding IEM such as the UM 30 PRO into a neutral and spacious sounding IEM makes me wonder how much weaker in bass would a naturally neutral sounding IEM such as K10 or a bright sounding IEM get when paired with the LG G6.

That said I would rather go with Samsung than Huawei due to the lack of support from Google, those 2 mentioned though are not affected as they were released before the ban but they are probably older than S10 in terms of specs. Based on my A/B with Huawei Phones it seems possible that phones with the Kirin processors might just have the same sound signature as them since both phones are using Kirin Processors. But if i'm not wrong those processors are exclusive to Huawei only, might need to do some research on that.
I owned a Huawei P30 at the same time as an LG G7 and I wasn't impressed at all. It just had a lack of detail and dynamics - like a fairly typical phone headphone output (when phones used to have them). I had an LG G8S at that time as well which has the SD855, but no quad dac. It sounded pretty similar to the P30 - i.e. not very good. The Exynos S10+ has really surprised me as it sounds just about as good as my V50 to my ears.

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #225 of 270
I owned a Huawei P30 at the same time as an LG G7 and I wasn't impressed at all. It just had a lack of detail and dynamics - like a fairly typical phone headphone output (when phones used to have them). I had an LG G8S at that time as well which has the SD855, but no quad dac. It sounded pretty similar to the P30 - i.e. not very good. The Exynos S10+ has really surprised me as it sounds just about as good as my V50 to my ears.

Interesting. So there are some who prefer the exynos S10 while others prefer snapdragon S10. I've auditioned the S10+ exynos version but found it's sub bass to be thick and a little muddy in comparison to the G6.

Did you noticed any difference in the sound signature at all when you a/b the S10+ exynos and the V50 or there's really no difference? If so than that means the V50 is not identical to the G6's tuning and LG has tuned it differently with more bass response.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back