Samsung S10
Mar 21, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #76 of 270
That was quick, thanks!

I'm not sure that is a valid measurement though, as I think most headphones have varying impedance at different frequencies, so you won't know the true impedance at 60Hz. If you could order a cheap 30-ohm resistor for a couple of dollars or so, and re-test that would be much appreciated!

PS: just saw you said you have a non-Exynos version. I think that has a different audio chip to the Exynos that I'm after. I'd still be interested to see the value for your model though. But if anyone else has an Exynos model they could test I'd really appreciate it.
I'm reading that most manufacturers report their impedance measured at 1 kHz, so I'll retest with a 1 kHz test tone.
I'll also order a resistor and test with it once it arrives!

EDIT: with 1 kHz test tone and using my DT770s as a resistor, I calculate an output impedance of 2.38 Ohms on my S10 (SD855).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #77 of 270
I'm reading that most manufacturers report their impedance measured at 1 kHz, so I'll retest with a 1 kHz test tone.
I'll also order a resistor and test with it once it arrives!

EDIT: with 1 kHz test tone and using my DT770s as a resistor, I calculate an output impedance of 2.38 Ohms on my S10 (SD855).

Thanks again, but unfortunately, digital multimeters are usually optimized for accuracy at 50-60 Hz when reading AC signals (i.e. sine waves), so readings at 1 kHz probably won't be very accurate. I think a resistor is the only way to go if you can order one.

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #78 of 270
Has anyone tried connecting their phone to a usb dac?
I have a s10e exynos and when I connect to my Topping dx7s, I get popping sounds along with the audio. Happens regardless of cable and doesnt happen with my previous phone.

Tried disabling dolby, selecting charge phone only under usb settings in developers options.
Says charging usb device under notifications and when I try to change the control to the phone, says changing host failed. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #79 of 270
I have a s10e exynos and when I connect to my Topping dx7s, I get popping sounds along with the audio. Happens regardless of cable and doesnt happen with my previous phone.

Tried disabling dolby, selecting charge phone only under usb settings in developers options.
Says charging usb device under notifications and when I try to change the control to the phone, says changing host failed. Anyone experienced anything similar?

What music app? UAPP?

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #81 of 270

Happen to me with my Galaxy S10+ Exynos with Chord Mojo

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #82 of 270
Thanks again, but unfortunately, digital multimeters are usually optimized for accuracy at 50-60 Hz when reading AC signals (i.e. sine waves), so readings at 1 kHz probably won't be very accurate. I think a resistor is the only way to go if you can order one.
Alright, using 60 Hz test file and 30 Ohms resistor, I'm reading 0.5438V without load and 0.5095V with 30 Ohms load, giving an output impedance of 2.02 Ohms.

If I manage to get my hands on the other phones or the Exynos versions somehow, I'll test them too.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #83 of 270
Alright, using 60 Hz test file and 30 Ohms resistor, I'm reading 0.5438V without load and 0.5438V with 30 Ohms load, giving an output impedance of 2.02 Ohms.

If I manage to get my hands on the other phones or the Exynos versions somehow, I'll test them too.

Awesome, thanks! I presume one of those voltages is a typo though? As they're the same value.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #85 of 270
Hello guys, any opinion regarding the stock audio quality of S10+, compared to the latest iPhones (I'm using an iPhone X)? I used to have Samsung phones (namely the S3 and S6, with Viper4Android installed, PowerAmp as the music player) but now since the latest Android firmware has not been able to root yet, and V4A (also other audio mods if I'm not mistaken) have ceased for quite a while now, so that leaves me with stock audio quality (which was quite poor without mods, if I recall correctly). I read that enabling options like Dolby Atmos (not sure about this one while listening to music) and Adapt Sound will give a much better music experience, so could anyone confirm and make a direct comparison to iDevices, if possible? I'm just a casual listener with no audio accessories (DAC, Amp, etc.); music libraries are from either Spotify Premium or iTunes purchased (variable 256kbps AAC); my IEMs are Astell&Kern Billie Jean. Thanks!

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #86 of 270
The s10+ sounds decent but I have to customize the EQ: lowering the high freq (2k). And increasing the lower ones (500). No Dolby Atmos and UHQ Bit Upscaling on. Sound is pleasing but I still think my LG G7 with its quad DAC sounds better, at least for me.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #87 of 270
The s10+ sounds decent but I have to customize the EQ: lowering the high freq (2k). And increasing the lower ones (500). No Dolby Atmos and UHQ Bit Upscaling on. Sound is pleasing but I still think my LG G7 with its quad DAC sounds better, at least for me.
I can't take you seriously if you are using the stock eq. The eq completely changes the audio as soon as you move a knob. Even just a little. That's the problem with software EQ's. They distort the sound a LOT. If you increase bass, the treble decreases with it; etc. The only eq that doesn't have this problem is hardware eq; Viper4hifi or Dolby Atmos App for rooted devices (not the phone setting). Even Viper4Android distorts audio when you switch the eq on though it's not as bad as EQ's for non-rooted devices and stock EQ. Plus, you changing the eq, is most likely to compensate for you headphones rather than the audio dac in the phone.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #88 of 270
I can't take you seriously if you are using the stock eq. The eq completely changes the audio as soon as you move a knob. Even just a little. That's the problem with software EQ's. They distort the sound a LOT. If you increase bass, the treble decreases with it; etc. The only eq that doesn't have this problem is hardware eq; Viper4hifi or Dolby Atmos App for rooted devices (not the phone setting). Even Viper4Android distorts audio when you switch the eq on though it's not as bad as EQ's for non-rooted devices and stock EQ. Plus, you changing the eq, is most likely to compensate for you headphones rather than the audio dac in the phone.
What are you saying? I'm not using stock EQ. Do you mean that for comparison sake, I should be using stock EQ?

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #89 of 270
A couple measurements of the S10+ from anandtech https://www.anandtech.com/show/14072/the-samsung-galaxy-s10plus-review/16

3.5mm Headphone Jack Quick Note
Speaking of headphone playback, one thing I wanted to do late last year was reintroduce audio jack playback quality evaluation. This was something that was triggered by the loss of headphone jacks by many vendors who replaced them by low-quality 3.5mm dongles with bad audio quality. Only Apple unfortunately managed to deliver a sensible dongle with good audio quality.

During this testing I noticed that another difference between the Snapdragon and Exynos units is the audio quality of the DAC. The Exynos units have this reputation of being the ones with the high quality audio playback quality, but this is mostly just reputation based on these variants having Wolfon/Cirrus Logic audio chips, and not actual measurements.

Publishing audio measurements is like opening up Pandora’s box in terms of what I’m getting myself into, as very many people get it wrong. In many cases what you’re measuring isn’t actually the audio playback the audio device, but rather the input characteristics of your measurement hardware. Another popular mobile review site has as such been hitting the limits of their audio interface for several years now, with the resulting numbers not actually showcasing much of the capability of the devices at hand anymore.

As such, even my own figures here will be hitting the limits of my own measurement hardware, but if we keep in mind that these are not definitive measurements of the devices, then we can have a more balanced view. In particular for the Galaxy S10, these are very indicative of what you’re to expect as a difference between the two units.

Snapdragon Galaxy S10+

The Snapdragon Galaxy S10 continues to showcase excellent results with what was in line with Qualcomm’s Aqstic line of DACs over the last few years: a very clean output with very little noise.

Exynos Galaxy S10+

Switching over to the Exynos Galaxy S10 however we’re seeing some pretty shocking results. The phone uses a Cirrus Logic CS47L93 audio codec chip which has actually been used in Exynos variants since the Galaxy S7. Unfortunately in recent years this was surpassed by Qualcomm’s audio chips, and in particular the Galaxy S10 suffers from a pretty bad implementation. Here we’re clearly seeing noise components that are not part of the reference 1KHz signal, with a particularly odd 250Hz component. The measurements were done in sequence with just re-plugging the input from the Snapdragon to the Exynos under the same conditions. Audio output level was calibrated at near -10dbV / 312.5mV RMS on both devices.

In practical terms, there is audible difference between the two as the Exynos unit sounds warmer (in a bad way) and more muffled. The Snapdragon achieves higher clarity and the sound stage appears wider. This was my subjective evaluation using the same Samsung’s included AKG headphones on both units, both having the same software audio settings.

I applaud Samsung for still including the 3.5mm headphone jack on the Galaxy S10 – however a big part of the world will unfortunately experience lesser audio quality on their model variants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back