Samsung S10
Apr 8, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #92 of 270
So after doing some investigating on my own and after doing even deeper investigation with Dmitry of Neutron Music Player, we realized that despite the Samsung S10 (SD855) having audio codecs onboard that should facilitate for native playback of high-res audio, the device is simply not configured to allow direct_pcm output through the headphone jack.

I've made a post on Samsung's forum about it here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...ked-does-not-output-high-res-audio/m-p/559613

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #95 of 270
Got a software update yesterday, Seems to have fixed the issue!

Some questions on S10+ Exynos with Chord Mojo:
1. From my understanding in the previous posts, a new S10+ Exynos should now work without any issues with a Chord Mojo? Just plug and play with a compatible OTG cable (USB-C to micro USB)? If this is not the case, then what else needs to be done to make the 2 work properly?
2. When you plug in the Chord Mojo to the S10+ Exynos, does it automatically bypass the internal DAC of the phone? And sends bit perfect data directly through the OTG cable to the Chord Mojo? Or do you still need to have USB Audio Player PRO?

Any info provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #96 of 270
Just thought I would chime in my generalised opinions on the S10. I just went from an old S7 Edge to the S10 and found the audio quality was an overall step down with the S10. I don't use portable amps or Bluetooth hps. I just read through the posts on here and thought there would be more people mentioning this. Instead the general idea seems to be that the hardware on board should give fairly good SQ. That might be the case but for me I think this will involve further tweaking.

An earlier post mentioned eq options that require the phone to be rooted. Are there are any decent options that do not require this?

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #97 of 270
(A long time iPhone user), the jack removal got me interested in checking out the Android wired audio situation.

I am trying every now and then an Exynos Samsung Galaxy S10+ with my Shure SE535/Westone W30/Shure SE425 and i would say it sounds pretty darn good.

I still prefer Apple Lightning to 3.5mm (which objectively it's a very strong performer) but i think the S10+ headphone out is of very good quality: pitch black background, clear and well separated sound. It reminds pretty much of my old iPhone, which is a very good thing in my book. Output impedance should be low, about 2 ohms if i was to guess. The Apple dongle sounds a pinch more tight but it could be placebo as a i know that its Zout is 0'3 ohms.

Anyway i am happy to know that an S10+ could keep me rocking dongleless.

Since Samsung and LG sticks worldwide with the EN50332-1 (Volume limit standard), non European/Korean iPhones still have an edge with low impedance earphones as they do not stick to that standard and deliver 1 Vrms no matter the impedance of the earphones.

Note that both LG and Samsung feature an smart gain algorithm that boosts Vrms if earphones are high impedance (S10 from 0'44 Vrms to 0,95 Vrms, G7 from 0'35 Vrms to 2 Vrms)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #98 of 270
(A long time iPhone user), the jack removal got me interested in checking out the Android wired audio situation.

I am trying every now and then an Exynos Samsung Galaxy S10+ with my Shure SE535/Westone W30/Shure SE425 and i would say it sounds pretty darn good.

I still prefer Apple Lightning to 3.5mm (which objectively it's a very strong performer) but i think the S10+ headphone out is of very good quality: pitch black background, clear and well separated sound. It reminds pretty much of my old iPhone, which is a very good thing in my book. Output impedance should be low, about 2 ohms if i was to guess. The Apple dongle sounds a pinch more tight but it could be placebo as a i know that its Zout is 0'3 ohms.

Anyway i am happy to know that an S10+ could keep me rocking dongleless.

Since Samsung and LG sticks worldwide with the EN50332-1 (Volume limit standard), non European/Korean iPhones still have an edge with low impedance earphones as they do not stick to that standard and deliver 1 Vrms no matter the impedance of the earphones.

Note that both LG and Samsung feature an smart gain algorithm that boosts Vrms if earphones are high impedance (S10 from 0'44 Vrms to 0,95 Vrms, G7 from 0'35 Vrms to 2 Vrms)

Do you use features like Adapt sound/Dolby Atmos or tweak EQs on the S10+?

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #99 of 270
Do you use features like Adapt sound/Dolby Atmos or tweak EQs on the S10+?

No and no.

As per my audiologist my audition is excellent and both ears work equally thus i don't feel the need for adapt sound.

I don't like to mess with digital audio on the fly since it degrades low level sounds because of quantization noise. I enjoy a lot every nuisance of music so i won't trade them for any boombastic approach to audio.

Audio is meant to be messed with in proper DAW in a computer.

I own a Bon Katz book called 'Mastering audio: the art and the science' which shaped my views on digital audio a while back. I'm minimalist: the less you mess with signal the better for its purity.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #100 of 270
I find the headphone jack output very poor on my s10e exynos. It makes all my gear (IMR r1z, final e5000, mr speakers aeon, beyer t51p) all sound like warm, muddy crap. The headphone dongles with my previous phones were much better in terms of audio quality. Despite having a headphones jack, if I am wanting reasonable audio quality when I am out and about, I use the radsone es100 even despite the headphones jack.

May 7, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #103 of 270
Seems like for once Cirrus Logic is inferior to Qualcomm Aqstic. Problem might not be the DAC itself but rather the amp which has been switched from Maxim to Cirrus Logic. A bit odd how AnandTech didn't show measurements for previous generations but just said "Cirrus Logic has been inferior for years already". Exynos Note 9 had mixed results. GSMArena said it was great, but Soomal said they preferred Snapdragon S9. Then again, Android Authority ranked the Snapdragon version at the bottom of their "best of audio 2018" without showing specific measurements.

May 7, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #104 of 270
Hi there! Which one do you prefer v30 or s10? I mean soudwise.

In my usage (no super high impedance headphones - E70, H6, PM3) I'd say they are basically equivalent for audio, except that I liked that the V30 lets you tweak the DAC behavior. I did not do a side by side comparison (sold the V30 to help fund the S10), so I can't give you very specific details unfortunately. None of my headphones triggered high impedance mode in the V30, which I think may also net higher quality, so for some people with certain gear the v30 may still be better. The S10 is definitely better in other areas (camera and screen, most notably), and it sounds appreciably better than my macbook pro's 3.5mm output and older Samsung models.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back