Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Apr 5, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #376 of 704
When I connect my usb dac, Onkyo ha-200, to the samsung s7 I hear clipping and popping. I've also experienced this with the s6 (android 6.0)

The dac works fine with the note 4 ( android 5.1). Someone else has issues when connecting a usb dac to the samsung s7 ( or android 6.0)? Can't seem to fix it..

I have an Oppo HA-2 and YouTube really pops and stutters even more than Google Play Music which does it occasionally.

For whatever reason, presumably a different driver, USB Audio Player Pro never pops or stutters.. but you can't play GPM files.

I called Oppo and since the S7 is so new they couldn't help me and said no one else has called in to report it. They said they did not have issues with the S6 and Lollipop so it must be the Marshmallow driver since UAPP's driver doesn't have a problem.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #377 of 704
There's a long distance between those 2 players. It's almost like comparing Plenue 1 to Plenue D, although in my opinion Plenue 1 is superior to ZX2. My thoughts of those 2 Cowons at golden-ear.net try to clarify things up a bit better.

Agreed. Both the P1 and the ZX2 are in a different league from D. I like my P1 better than my ZX2 SQ wise. But when you amp the ZX2 the difference becomes minuscule imho.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #379 of 704
Hi. Im considering the galaxy S7, moving from a note 5. Does anyone have an audio quality comparison. Better/worse/different? If different , how? Typically listen with hifiman 400 or Pistons 3 iem, so nothing crazy. If the s7 is the same or better I will likely switch. I'm happy with the note 5 sound. Last year I listened to the s6, which I thought made vocals shrill until the upgrade to android 5.11

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #380 of 704
Anyone find that the S7 has close to no power? I can only drive IEMs and that is at maximum volume. Had to purchase an OPPO HA-2 to make up for this awful power. My iPhone had noticeably more power.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #382 of 704
I have the S6 and I'm considering upgrading to S7. Does anyone have a take on how the two stack up against each other in terms of headphone audio quality? The built-in speaker quality I don't care about at all.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #383 of 704
i just posted headphone output stats on another thread (higher is better): s7 is .707v, which is slightly better than the s6 and note 5; iphone 6s is .986; htc m8 is 1.28. the lg g5 is .29. personally, i thought the s7headphone  volume was adequate and sq was vg. i am still waiting for the m10, which is being launched tomorrow.

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #384 of 704
It is a shame.  Meanwhile the LG5  offers a drop-in module that features the 32bit Sabre ES9028C2M DAC.  The price has not been announced yet, but it is a little disappointing that you need to pay extra for this feature in an already expensive phone.  On the upside it streams 24-bit aptx out of the box.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #385 of 704
  It is a shame.  Meanwhile the LG5  offers a drop-in module that features the 32bit Sabre ES9028C2M DAC.  The price has not been announced yet, but it is a little disappointing that you need to pay extra for this feature in an already expensive phone.  On the upside it streams 24-bit aptx out of the box.

That drop in module wont even be available in the US and that 24 bit aptx stream has some serious issues with some bluetooth devices.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #386 of 704
That drop in module wont even be available in the US and that 24 bit aptx stream has some serious issues with some bluetooth devices.

You are right about the drop in module, though it is not clear as to whether the module will be available in the future. As for the 24 bit Bluetooth, perhaps that technology needs a little time and more adopters to mature.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #387 of 704
S7 Edge owner here as well. Really surprised with the synergy of the S7 Edge and HD600. It's as if Samsung engineers were using the HD600 while designing the S7 Edge! :)

Has anyone here tried hooking their S7 Edge with the Chord Mojo and stream music via Spotify? I haven't had any luck with that setup; I don't hear any music coming out from the Mojo even if I'm already using an OTG cable.

Thanks in advance! :D

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #388 of 704
Yep. I recently bought a mojo- this little thing is beyond amazing. The mojo works great for that purpose as well- I have used it with Spotify/Tidal HiFi through an OTG cable.

Not sure why it isn't working for you..

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #389 of 704
@NYanakiev

Thanks for the speedy feedback!

I am now able to stream Spotify through the S7 Edge + Mojo setup. I just had to change cables; the uber short cable that came with the Mojo seemed to be a bit defective. So I used one of the data cables that came with an old smartphone and hooked it with the freebie Samsung OTG cable that I received when I bought my S7 Edge. The setup's now working flawlessly! :)

Thanks again for the feedback! :D

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #390 of 704
No worries:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back