Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Apr 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #391 of 704
Hi. Im considering the galaxy S7, moving from a note 5. Does anyone have an audio quality comparison. Better/worse/different? If different , how? Typically listen with hifiman 400 or Pistons 3 iem, so nothing crazy. If the s7 is the same or better I will likely switch. I'm happy with the note 5 sound. Last year I listened to the s6, which I thought made vocals shrill until the upgrade to android 5.11

I used to have the note 5 and it did sound good. I think the S7 might sound. Little better but I don't remember the note 5 having all of the settings for audio that the s7 has but maybe it did I didn't have it long enough to try it all out. Did the note 5 have these settings as well?

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #392 of 704
Hi. Im considering the galaxy S7, moving from a note 5. Does anyone have an audio quality comparison. Better/worse/different? If different , how? Typically listen with hifiman 400 or Pistons 3 iem, so nothing crazy. If the s7 is the same or better I will likely switch. I'm happy with the note 5 sound. Last year I listened to the s6, which I thought made vocals shrill until the upgrade to android 5.11

I used to have the note 5 and it did sound good. I think the S7 might sound. Little better but I don't remember the note 5 having all of the settings for audio that the s7 has but maybe it did I didn't have it long enough to try it all out. Did the note 5 have these settings as well?
96d85e4fc3300997c3154b5731194cde.jpg

For the most part very similar.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #396 of 704
So can anyone confirm that the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Exynos version with the Wolfson DAC is any good ?

I can. I returned my SD820 variant and just got the Exynos version from Amazon. So much better clarity. I don't have time for a full comparison now, but I notice quite a difference.

That said, the volume sucks on both equally.

-Collin-

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #397 of 704
Well, I have the Samsung Galaxy S7 (European version if that matters?), and I find the sound quality with headphones regardless of tweaking the eq and eextras to be quite bad to be honest. Comparing with Galaxy S4, Oneplus 2 and SONY Z2 the S7 just sounds like a cheap player. No immersion, no drive, tinny sound with most headphones. It eels like you are lost to the music. On straight eq and everything off it sounds really crap.

Connect it to an external DAC though and you get a good sound. The phone has native support for 24 bit music, but unless you connect another device to it, you could almost pålay midi files on it... :wink: (OK joking, but really, it is the worst sounding phone I have had in quite awhile!)

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #398 of 704
I'm no audiophile but I too find the Samsung Galaxy S7 (Exynos) a bit underwhelming. I have an old Sony X1060 and the Samsung is not as good. I wish I had waited for the HTC 10 now.. I would put it below the IPhone 5S which also goes much louder as a bonus.

As a phone the S7 is pretty much faultless though, apart from an overly sensitive screen.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #399 of 704
  I'm no audiophile but I too find the Samsung Galaxy S7 (Exynos) a bit underwhelming. I have an old Sony X1060 and the Samsung is not as good. I wish I had waited for the HTC 10 now.. I would put it below the IPhone 5S which also goes much louder as a bonus.

As a phone the S7 is pretty much faultless though, apart from an overly sensitive screen.

Yeah after much research and a new contract about to take place ive was choosing between the Edge or HTC 10 funnily enough leaning towards the HTC 10 seems like a more complete phone and much slicker software that gets Android new OS's FAR quicker than Samsung bother's to.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #400 of 704
I preordered the HTC 10 also. As for the updates, I think it depends which versions of phones you get. If you're on Verizon, you're probably going to be waiting a long time for both. On T-Mobile, My S6 Edge got updates way faster than the HTC M9 I had also. So there are a lot of variables, but I agree that HTC 10 is the most complete package for an audiophile. For most people, though. I think as a phone the S7 has it handily beat due to other features. But we have good choices right? :)

-Collin-

May 1, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #403 of 704
having picked up an S7 Edge today (Exynos version) - curious as to what apps people are using for music playback without external DAC...

Seeing that only Google Music is on board, is it a case of Poweramp / Neutron, or - is there a new kid on the block that I should be looking out for?

...I'm hoping (about to find out!) that the S7 Edge sounds a bit better than the Xperia Z5 Premium - which is seriously overshadowed by my iPad Pro...

May 1, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #404 of 704

Just picked up the S7 Edge Snapdragon variant. In my opinion it sounds great for a phone, using Poweramp.

May 2, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #405 of 704
I just got my S7 Edge today (Exynos variant) and the audio really surprised me. Coming from a OnePlus 2, I really dig the S7 edge. The audio is noticeably cleaner with pretty much no distortion. I could very clearly hear distortion on some tracks when listening to my OnePlus 2 which had the built in Snapdragon 24-bit DAC. Sound stage is a tad wider as well, though it could be placebo. The S7 Edge is able to driver my IEM's better as well, and even so without distorting the sound. Testing was done on Poweramp alpha build 703 with the high-res output enabled at 24/96 (I could go up to 24/192 but since my highest res audio file is only 24/96...) so its as fair of a benchmark you could get.

There isn't much information on what DAC the Exynos variant uses, but whatever it is its definitely better than the Snapdragon's built in DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back