Samsung Galaxy S3... wow.
Feb 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #136 of 151
But.. you're currently using Boeffla, I presume? Sounds even better than Gonemad? 
Or it's just a controller to input into Gonemad, as it appears? Needs root though...

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #137 of 151
Quote:
I'm trying my best to notice some difference too, but no success. They're all the same to me till now. Sigh.

It might be an age thing, but the "Golden ear"  few that claim they can detect the difference are spending too much time analysing the music, rather than listening to it.

IMHO, Its all in the original mastering. One cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear. If it starts out bad, it will still be bad. Forget your FLAC, ALAC etc. Get studios and artists to make an effort to get the original right first. I hate music that is "mastered for the masses".
  Rant over.

I lied, I will keep on ranting about recording quality. :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #138 of 151
Quote:
-x-
Forget your FLAC, ALAC etc. Get studios and artists to make an effort to get the original right first.

-x-

Hmm... I'm foreseeing in the near future a lot of extra space in my hard  drives... 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #139 of 151
Quote:s
Hmm... I'm foreseeing in the near future a lot of extra space in my hard  drives... 
rolleyes.gif

It is the truth, according to Gaz, I have a slightly better than average home system. 320 kbps and even 286 is IMHO  ( no trolling intended). Pretty much on a par with FLAC and ALAC..

Apologies, if that ruffles a few feathers but in a double blind test, very few can tell the difference. Statistically, there is no proof.
For home use, I play all my music on ALAC. I have 320 kbps files for my portable devices.
 No Difference, NADA. Just gives you a warm glow inside. Lossless files maybe
satisfies the inner cave man inside us ( or cave girl), for the need of bigger, better, faster. That's all well and good. I like my gadgets and I enjoy the buzz they give me.Opening a new box, pride of ownership, being different from the crowd, etc all comes into it. Not really sure if an enormous stack of DAP/DAC/AMP, will make you more popular with the ladies, but it depends which lady.

Triple your storage today. As we all know, its all about the music. If a toon has an emotional effect, or gets you moving your lazy a. That's what its all about, surely not kbps ?

If you think you might be an audiophile, or you feel you might turn into one in future. Stand back and smell the roses, or in this case,listen to the music.

Quality  music MUST start with, talented musicians, talented engineers, ( with no "make it sound good on Joe Bloggs's apple poo head phones" criteria) .  If you get the best original product, then, and only then, you can mess about with.it. Give me access to your best effort, Then the artifacts you and your caring sharing, music loving record company can do whatever they need to do with it.  

My old ears struggle to tell the difference between 320 and lossless, but the same ears can spot a crappy mastering a mile off.

Music is emotion.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #140 of 151
But.. you're currently using Boeffla, I presume? Sounds even better than Gonemad? 
Or it's just a controller to input into Gonemad, as it appears? Needs root though...

Boeffla is a kernel that has an implementation of voodoo sound, so Boeffla + Gonemad is an excellent combination.

I9300XXEMA2, Boeffla 2.7b8, Earsonics SM3

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #141 of 151
Quote:
It might be an age thing, but the "Golden ear"  few that claim they can detect the difference are spending too much time analysing the music, rather than listening to it.

IMHO, Its all in the original mastering. One cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear. If it starts out bad, it will still be bad. Forget your FLAC, ALAC etc. Get studios and artists to make an effort to get the original right first. I hate music that is "mastered for the masses".
  Rant over.

I lied, I will keep on ranting about recording quality. :)

Hi, I master audio for a living and wanted to give you my two cents regarding some of the things you've said, things that I've heard other consumers say (who don't know as much about all the phases of audio production and are not involved in the process of making records, who simply blame everything on Mastering because they've read a couple of articles that mention Mastering and how it impacts audio quality):

1. Every one I know who I consider to be a professional Mastering Engineer analyses audio because for starters, music is our passion. We are people who grew up spending hours and hours listening to music as kids while other kids might have been playing sports or whatever. Believe it or not, we are able to take off the "Mastering Engineer" hat off on demand and still kick back and just listen to music for pleasure (that's what got us here to begin with). Anyone who says things like "I can't listen to music anymore because I start to analyze it" is not really a professional, IMO.

2. Artists these days (ranging from the unknown to the well known) do a lot of the engineering work themselves, and in recent years, this has become very frustrating to those of us who are serious about Mastering Audio. It's typical these days to have artists bring in mixes that are already heavily distorted, and we are not able to do anything. In a lot of cases it's because artists have realized that it's not that expensive to set up recording studios at home, and they may know someone who is able to work with the gear and in a lot of cases, that's replaced the process of them going down to a legit studio to get the recordings done. Then, the same guy or gal mixes the album, again, skipping a true mix engineer (who knows when to stop mixing and where to leave room for mastering).

Then, they listen to the record everywhere and it doesn't sound as good as they thought it would, so they hire a reputable Mastering Engineer and say "Here, fix this."

Just something that I hope you consider, in a lot of cases, I've heard Mastering Engineers ask to not be credited with these kinds of jobs, but often times the clients do it anyway just so that they look like they've done things the right way. Unless you know absolutely that the Mastering Engineer killed the record, I ask that you please keep the above in mind; we don't have *that* much control over things these days!

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #142 of 151
That's an interesting insider point of view.

It's not far from the true either that if one spends for instance $10k+ in Stax heads/amps,
but gets poor mix/master sources, be it 320kbps/flac/alac whatever, 
the ending result will probably be also poor.

Once the individual instruments/tracks got mixed poorly, 
nothing much could be done with eqs, leveling and whatever one thinks of.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #143 of 151
I Know this is not Audio related subject and i hate myself for asking BUT..

My new S3 does not want to play nice with wi-fi networks. Any Know how greatly appreciated.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #144 of 151
Could you give us some specifics? Stuttering, poor quality, codecs not working??

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #145 of 151
Quote:

Hi, I master audio for a living and wanted to give you my two cents regarding some of the things you've said, things that I've heard other consumers say (who don't know as much about all the phases of audio production and are not involved in the process of making records, who simply blame everything on Mastering because they've read a couple of articles that mention Mastering and how it impacts audio quality):

1. Every one I know who I consider to be a professional Mastering Engineer analyses audio because for starters, music is our passion. We are people who grew up spending hours and hours listening to music as kids while other kids might have been playing sports or whatever. Believe it or not, we are able to take off the "Mastering Engineer" hat off on demand and still kick back and just listen to music for pleasure (that's what got us here to begin with). Anyone who says things like "I can't listen to music anymore because I start to analyze it" is not really a professional, IMO.

2. Artists these days (ranging from the unknown to the well known) do a lot of the engineering work themselves, and in recent years, this has become very frustrating to those of us who are serious about Mastering Audio. It's typical these days to have artists bring in mixes that are already heavily distorted, and we are not able to do anything. In a lot of cases it's because artists have realized that it's not that expensive to set up recording studios at home, and they may know someone who is able to work with the gear and in a lot of cases, that's replaced the process of them going down to a legit studio to get the recordings done. Then, the same guy or gal mixes the album, again, skipping a true mix engineer (who knows when to stop mixing and where to leave room for mastering).

Then, they listen to the record everywhere and it doesn't sound as good as they thought it would, so they hire a reputable Mastering Engineer and say "Here, fix this."

Just something that I hope you consider, in a lot of cases, I've heard Mastering Engineers ask to not be credited with these kinds of jobs, but often times the clients do it anyway just so that they look like they've done things the right way. Unless you know absolutely that the Mastering Engineer killed the record, I ask that you please keep the above in mind; we don't have *that* much control over things these days!

I admire your Knowledge and your experience. I was under the impression that you guys were " forced" into mixing and mastering music to suit the masses. Maybe Sony, etc. I could be wrong, but that is the sort of in(dis)formation we get.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #146 of 151
Had two of them as work phones, the sound wasn't bad, better than on my one x (which got pleasantly loud, but was colored). The bad thing was that the headphone jack broke from both... Also loved how you could get 16+64gb of memory on it, handy when there was no network and google music.

Really waiting for the Sony Xperia ZL, I had the Xperia S for a while and I can say that the SGSIII can't even compete with that walkman sound.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #147 of 151
Do you remember Xperia S' dac name?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #148 of 151
Quote:
Could you give us some specifics? Stuttering, poor quality, codecs not working??

After 3 variations of I-phones, I really am enjoying my new s3, It is so refreshing to come out of the Apple umbrella after all these years. BUT, My 3 works great with my home wi-fi. But I am having slight ( HUGE) problems with getting it to connect with wi-fi. Such a great device, spoiled my such an important function.

Cripples it for me.
  Makes me look like a bit of a fool, cause all the i-phones connect no prob ?

Samsung. ?? or is it just me ?

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #149 of 151
So, the problem is with wi-fi connection.

Assuming you understand the inner workings of routing/lan,
I'd tell you to certify that your antivirus/internet security tool is
not  blocking your new S3 (it's a new mac address).

Another thing worth looking could be if your router is blocking
your device for the same reason (new mac). Here at home I admin
my wifi allowing only registered macs to gain access. Maybe yours
works same way.

Maybe you could double check proxy settings, if you ever use that.

May 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #150 of 151
My portable setup includes:

- a rooted Internation SGS3 running SlimBean & Sony NWZ-A844
 - Sennheiser IE8
 - Sony MDR Z1000
 - a mix of CD rips & iTunes purchased / matched AACs at 256 kbps

Earlier I had iPhone 4 & iPod Classic 6th gen.

SGS3 SQ is by far the best. I use Neutron MP player which is excellent (much better than jetAudio & Poweramp).

As for headphones, I'd always liked the Z1000 more because it is a lot more neutral compared to IE8. IE8 has very rich mids, but is a bit too warm for my taste, has a bit of treble coloration, and produces zero sub-bass. The only problem with Z1000 was muffled higher-lows & lower-mids, but Siyah audio tweaks have given it a new lease of life. I'm using headphone amplifier setting of 57 & 'Pleasant for ears' EQ setting (my first EQ setting on any player ever).

The phones sound heavenly! Loud, detailed, wide sound stage, excellent seperation & very balanced across the spectrum!!!

I'd like to know how good is Siyah headphone amplifier? Can it drive high impedence phones like Sennheiser HD 650 without an external amplifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back