Samsung Galaxy S3, need some insight on it, US or International version?
Jun 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MaybeSheWill

New Head-Fier
I was wondering about the Samsung Galaxy S3, International Version VS US Version? (Im not sure about the US one, is it worth waiting for? I know the International one has a Wolfsong DAC, which is, what I understand, one of the best soundchips?)
Other than that, any other insight on the Galaxy S3?

Also, I've heard of "Voodoo" but don't really get what it is, anyone wanna brief me on this?

Lastly, Im not sure if it's a question for here or in the headphone's forums but I have ATH-M50's, will these be good on the Galaxy S3, does anyone know? (Unamped)(Or is there headphones in the same price range (169) that will blow my mind on the S3 with all genres?)

Thanks.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 16
The US variants do not have a Wolfson DAC, that is correct.

Voodoo Sound is a mod that greatly enhances the sound quality of certain devices with Wolfson DACs - the S3 is NOT amongst the supported devices yet, but the developer of Voodoo Sound says eventually it will come.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
The US variants do not have a Wolfson DAC, that is correct.

Voodoo Sound is a mod that greatly enhances the sound quality of certain devices with Wolfson DACs - the S3 is NOT amongst the supported devices yet, but the developer of Voodoo Sound says eventually it will come.

But the Siyah kernel has a partial port of Voodoo Sound for the Galaxy SIII that can control the headphone amplifier, tune the speaker for better response and use the 5 bands EQ.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
So what should someone do if they have the US GS3 and want the best sound quality. Also MaybeSheWill's headphone question?

Use an external DAC and headphone AMP. I use the HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp with my US one (I have both varieties of S3), and before that I used the FiiO E7. Many are confirmed working with the S3, check out the Android USB audio thread for DanBa's well-maintained list of the working ones.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Use an external DAC and headphone AMP. I use the HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp with my US one (I have both varieties of S3), and before that I used the FiiO E7. Many are confirmed working with the S3, check out the Android USB audio thread for DanBa's well-maintained list of the working ones.

Cool, thank you. I know this will seem kind of silly, but do you know of any guides for using a DAC, or optimizing audio in general, because all the jargon is very confusing.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Cool, thank you. I know this will seem kind of silly, but do you know of any guides for using a DAC, or optimizing audio in general, because all the jargon is very confusing.

I just plug mine and start using, no hassle with setting things up. If you want something to improve the sound on the SIII, you may also want to try different players, being the Neutron Music Player the best I tried.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 16
I'm using a US version SIII and its not as warm as my S, but its not necessarily bad. I actually like it a bit better as tbe old one tended to make some bassy IEMs too bassy. Using my CX300 now and it sounds like a portable version of my desktop system - iPad2》Cantate.2》HD600 - with a slightly smaller soundstage.

BTW anyone know if USB audio works through the media dock? Jyst want it upright on my other desk, like the iPad on the main system.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Is the Canadian version the same as the US?

Yes.

The one that runs on Bell/Telus/Rogers is exactly the same as my AT&T one, they even run the same firmwares if you look at XDA (I have a Bell Jelly Bean one on mine right now). Only diffierence is the radio/modem.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 16
I have the us version of the Samsung galaxy s3 and a iPhone 3GS. With my westone 4r iems unamped I prefer the s3 with the neutron player to the 3GS. However the s3 with the stock player or poweramp was so bad in comparison to the iPhone 3GS I nearly returned the phone.

The neutron player GUI is awful but once u get the hang of it. It's ok.

I just wish the us version got the wolfson dac. Sigh.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back