Samsung Galaxy S [T-Mobile Vibrant variant] Thread
Aug 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

AnAnalogSpirit

500+ Head-Fier
I've been quite intrigued by this offering ever since the iAUDIOphile.net user seojuhwan started "dating" its specs seriously... I have to admit, once I found out they (Samsung) planned on incorporating their MP3 player's DNSe and SuperAMOLED technologies into the device, I started to swoon.

THEN cupid started busting caps!!!

I was forwarded a UK article by seojuhwan stating the Scottish Microelectronics Frim we all tend to find out about at some point in our "ear career", Wolfson Micro, for their superb sounding Stereo DACs and SOC DACs and System Bridges... ... well... Won a Manufacturing contract with Samsung to place their parts in the Galaxy S, Galaxy Touch, and Wave devices (with possibly more in future product pipelines)

The device used in the Galaxy S line has a 5-band - 6channel parametric hardware implemented EQ... DROOL... and should kick some serious bubkis.

I'm happy that I'll recieve mine in about a week!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I'll be getting all LOLWUT and heheHAHA and totally FLACtarded~!~~!

Bye for now!!!

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 29
I have yet to see one of these in the local t mobile stores, but the reps at tmobile keep saying they are on hand?  Strange.  I have never been able to get myself to use my cell phone as a pmp or mp3 player because the battery life is never sufficient. 

You'll have to let us know how the battery holds up to normal daily use and mp3 use. 

Did I read your post right, it will have a 5 band EQ in it?  Very nice.  I sure looks like an interesting phone.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 29
It's going to use the WM8987 wolfson DAC chip used on the SFlo2 and Ibasso D10 (though the former has two) and a 5 band EQ. Wonder if it will have a line out..

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 29
As an Android owner (HTC Aria) I have to say that there is a glaring problem with the media player in Android OS. While I have almost fully retired my iRiver H340 in favor of my tiny little android phone just for the sake of convenience and portability, the huge problem with ALL android devices is their inability to play tracks back gaplessly. No doubt a solution to this will come eventually, but I encourage everyone to do the following:

1) Open this link: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3461
2) STAR the issue in order to alert the Android Dev team to the problem and push it up in priority (click on the star thing)
3) Tell your music obsessed friends to follow suit. With a little bit of elbow grease Android could easily be the best mobile music platform yet.

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 29
I think the chip used is the WM8994 if this press release from Wolfson is accurate:

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/media_centre/item/wolfsons_innovative_ultra_low_power_audio_hub_selected_for_samsungs_latest_/

I don't know whether this a better or worse chip than the WM8987.

Also, I think this discussion can be opened to all Galaxy S variants on sound quality, as the internals are all the same.

So, the Tmobile Vibrant, ATT Captivate, Verizon Fascinate, and Sprint Epic (with keyboard), as well as the original Galaxy S.

Line out would really complete the device.

As far as other reading, here's an interesting thread I found over at the XDA forums:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735918

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 29
It is quite interesting.  I think personally, I could do without the gapless playback if they could make a battery that would withstand all of your normal daily use, such as work, and calls and texting along with the media usage.  During a normal day of use it would take 2 or 3 batteries to get through a 12 hour day.  Such a shame....

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 29
I don't know about the technical specs (nor do I really care) but I was ready to investigate get one of the Sandisk players and also replace my old Ety ER4P's. Ever since, I set-up a decent mid-fi homee set-up, my iPod Video and Ety sounded like mud. I couldn't bear to listen to my portable set-up continuously for  a 15-minute subway ride. 

I was about to get the iPhone 4, and reading about the problems that came up with the it and because of the fact that I'm with T-Mobile, I thought giving the Samsung Vibrant a whirl made sense. One of my non-negotiables is SQ. Just a few songs over Pandora convinced me that it was a no-brainer to stick with the Vibrant+Android. In fact, it sounded so good to my ears, I touched the buy link and headed over to Amazon MP3 store to buy the songs I heard.

Yesterday, I received my 16gig Micro SD card and successfully transferred my top-rated songs from my iTunes library (using Salling Media Sync). 

So suddenly, I don't feel the need to replace my Etys with something like $300 Senn or Monster IEMs. I'm so, so pleased with the phone. Yes, I heard it doesn't play gapless, and that could be a deal-breaker for some. And no, I'm not selling my desktop amplifiers and the full-size cans that I use at home, but my commuting music became pleasant again. :)

YMMV of course. :)

p.s. Not SQ-related:

Also, bear in mind that I'm keeping the phone also because I wanted a convergence of phone and music player. Initially, I thought it would be a compromise. Not really. To me, it's an upgrade of both my phone and music experience. If the Vibrant equaled the iPhone 4, which I played around with extensively to get a feel for it, I would probably still consider the iPhone 4 even if I have to deal with switching from T-Mobile (which I'm perfectly happy with) to AT&T (which I tried to switch to last year with the iPhone 3GS but I went back to T-Mobile and just paid the restocking fee). But the thing is, the iPhone 4 just pales in comparison to the Vibrant. It's not perfect. No phone is, of course.

And this is coming from a Mac person who has both a desktop and a laptop. I've also had 5 iPods. Looks like I won't be buying iPods anytime soon though (although maybe a Sansa Clip is tempting for the gym... :).

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
Shaikoten said:

As an Android owner (HTC Aria) I have to say that there is a glaring problem with the media player in Android OS. While I have almost fully retired my iRiver H340 in favor of my tiny little android phone just for the sake of convenience and portability, the huge problem with ALL android devices is their inability to play tracks back gaplessly. No doubt a solution to this will come eventually, but I encourage everyone to do the following:

1) Open this link: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3461
2) STAR the issue in order to alert the Android Dev team to the problem and push it up in priority (click on the star thing)
3) Tell your music obsessed friends to follow suit. With a little bit of elbow grease Android could easily be the best mobile music platform yet.

Rockbox is being ported to Android (as an application). They already have sound. The status is here, but I think more info can be found on the mailing list or on IRC.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 29
I find Samsung really interesting.  Especially after playing with their P3 PMP in B&H a few weeks ago.  High quality look and feel with an intuitive UI and very responsive touch screen.  Oh, yeah - sounded pretty darn good to boot!  The only thing missing was an expansion slot or I would have snatched it up then and there.  Now they have a tech event scheduled for the 11th in the city.  Rumor has it they will be announcing a tablet and a PMP along with other products.  Further rumors are speculating the PMP is an off-shoot of the Galaxy S like the iTouch is to the iPhone.  I am VERY intrigued by this because I am so wanting to jettison the Apple ecosystem out of my PC life but have yet to find a worthy successor to my 64gb iTouch.  Please, Samsung - either make it a 32gb with an expansion slot or, ideally, offer a 64gb unit.  I also require gapless playback.  I have no need for a smartphone so the potentiality is exciting to me.  If they meet my requirements - call me an early adopter!

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 29

Quote:

Rockbox is being ported to Android (as an application). They already have sound. The status is here, but I think more info can be found on the mailing list or on IRC.

I'm really pumped for this, but there's seriously no reason why the android media player shouldn't be doing this natively. I love my rockbox though, been using it since the earliest releases of the H300 series when they hardly had sound. I heard they got sound within the last week, and that's always the hardest part of the battle.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 29
 From what I read about the issue, the component in Android that contains the entire media stack will be able to sync up with a newly revised version of the baseline media stack utilized by the basic android media player (and this newer version is slated to contain code for a multiband equalizer) at Android's revision 3.0 (whatever the codename for that is).

Until then, Samsung will likely be in the lead with its proprietary ports of its Multiband EQ stack, DNSe software stack, Presets stack, and other goodies ported from the YEPP series players to the Android Smartphone and PMP's... The ones listed above (Galaxy S, Galaxy Touch, and Wave-- confiirmed to have delicious hardware solutions to drive them: the Wolfson Micro WM8994)

Everything else... other than the early (THANKFULLY PARTIALLY CODED, and SEEMINGLY WELL DESIGNED ROCKbox.app/RaaA stuff) being pure heresay at the current moment.

This post is just to clarify what I've heard on the issue.

As for other endeavours on Android sporting some sort of EQ facility "in software":

1. Audio Player with EQ Platinum (features the Clear Sound engine, has a 10-band EQ with marked frequency steps, and works decently. I bought the app for my Cyanogen Modded G-1. It works
'adequately') WAV and MP3 supported here

2. MixZing is touted as having an EQ for MP3 file format

3. ASTRO Player has a multiband EQ with no labeling of what frequency register each bar represents, plus the bad distortion in the spectrum it introduces. I do not recall the formats it supports. YMMV.

I haven't had any luck finding any other EQ-supporting or capable apps for Android. If you know of any, may as well post to this thread since it may be helpful? Why not?? LOL.

Seems we have some interesting input happening as it is... and that's a good.

The only thing I really find missing from the Vibrant: Optical Out (heheHAHA, im ambitious) and IDE/CF/SSD support. To get one of those iRiver H140 compatable Compact Flash sized Zero Insertion Force IDE interface Solid State Drives with 128GB of room shoved under my battery shell. AGAIN being ToTaLLy Ambitious..... !! haha

hey I realize no product has been perfectish since the iRiver H140, but i'm just saying. add those two features to a Galaxy S class device witha honkin batt, and I'd be happy. I dunno bout you folks. Yes, that was sort of an invitation for discussion... :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back