Samsung Galaxy S [T-Mobile Vibrant variant] Thread
Aug 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 29
Hey FLACvest, most of those things flew over my head (particularly the numbered items, MixZing, etc.) and I'm not demanding enough an audio guy to want optical out. I really do wish for a higher-capacity battery though. I think mine so far lasts 24 hours with moderate use. Yesterday, I couldn't listen to music anymore in my commute home due to the low-battery situation (but everything else was usable -- which was great as I set up my task lists, etc.).

Ok, it's slightly over "moderate" use maybe, since I'm still scouring for the right apps, experimenting, and I can't get enough of the brilliant display yet. It'll start to grow old soon enough. :p

By the way, just to clarify, I'm not bashing Apple and iPods with my last post, and one thing I do miss about iPods is the UI and the painless automatic sync of all my programs and files to iTunes. I wish there was a more elegant solution there but I haven't really looked into it (back up to computer at least for Android phones).

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 29
I do want a line out of the Galaxy S devices.  Otherwise, they look to be great.  The Galaxy S PMP to be announced on the 11th looks great as well.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #18 of 29
Havent used the Galaxy, but the Samsung Wave dosent sound any better than those crappy Sony ericsson walkman phones.The overall sound is too processed & clipped.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #19 of 29
I'm hoping it's going to be: 1) simple or simply furnished by Samsung themselves: a Line Out Dock item for the Galaxy S phones and other WM8994 devices they are working on. Or at least easier for boutique builders to create on their own than the LOD's than the ones for the Sansa Fuze (the shock/horror of trying to obtain one of those handmade rarieties (yup i have one, and it is neutered by rockbox. so darn!) Continuing on... Even if it doesnt have a hardware lineout built in like the iRiver H140 or the Teclast T51/nationite s:flo2, a reasonably sized Line-Out-Dock would be ADEQUATE for our purposes....

2) a fully fleshed out set of I/O panel(s) for the Galaxy Touch. Digital Optical Out would RULE, but even if they cheaped it down to digital COAX I'd be happy as my iBasso D10 Cobra has that as an input... I'm just stating... I think it's about time for someone ANYONE to step up and offer options that at LEAST meet a decade's old state of the art (the iRiver H1xx series) for EXAMPLE. Hey throw in full on 5.1 Stereo decoding for those RLY XPENSIV 5.1 headphones from a PMP, and maybe those albatross Headphones will actually start selling. There'd be a point, they'd have some device to play with! LOL

3) Back to the more grounded stage of Practical Reality...I'd simply like to see Samsung keep the Software components that are foreign to the Android Stack and are ported over from the YEPP stack: the Multiband EQ, the Presets, Smart Presets, DNSe, etc... from Samsung's Mobile PMP/Multimedia Player lineup FRESH, CURRENT, IN-SYNC, and HELD IN PLACE update-wise with the forward development of the Android Operating System and its rather quick tendency to update away from a placeholder or reference point to call 'norm' for "Android" as a cohesive system. What I mean by that is you don't just look at Android as a System and go by the numbers. Android (1.0) was a different animal from Cupcake (1.5) which is a different ball of wax from Donught (1.6) and that barely resembled Eclair (2.0 & 2.1) which will be far different again from Fro(zen)Yo(gurt) (2.2).... It's a quick domain... that Mobile Phone Handset Arena... With lots going on, lots of improvements, and lots of changes. Good for us all. Newer, better toys, sooner/cheaper/faster...

4) Looking around the bend, at the "Personal Access Device" hinted at in "/Slant" as described in the novel by Greg Bear, we'll all have a "UNIT" which links & syncs up to a library of datastreaming 'source' that will not only entertain, but educate, and provide a flow of "currency" if you will not just in news, but in worth as in $$$. OK that was a little sci-fi inspired. MY BAD... too much reading lately. WHOOPS. Hope it was amusing in the least.

5) Honestly though. This marks quite an achievement. Arguably the finest DAC manufacturer teamed up with one of the largest, and if not one of the finest mobile electronics firms on the planet: look at AMOLED, and now Super AMOLED, fantastic DRAM, and very cohesive and well thought out product releases from head to toe. These are exciting times. 

6) I just hope they frigging get UPS to deliver my Vibrant today, as scheduled.... cuz all this fantasizing has me foaming at the mouth!!!!!!!!! LOL

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #20 of 29
Can anyone post a link to confirm that the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (i897) uses the WM8987 chip? I have been googleling everywhere but I have been unable to find any sort of reliable source that says they use this chip.

Also to note with this phone it does micro usb to hdmi. Now this could be totally ridiculous but now is it possible to somehow use this micro usb to some sort of optical connection to be connected to a portable dac/amp? If this thing can get a line out signal I will definitely choose this over the new iPhone4 (which has been sold out here where in Calgary every time I try and get it, which is constantly).

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 29
I've read from places to places that Galaxy S uses micro Wolfson chips.  I believe it should be WM8987.  There is a website who did a good job measuring the audio quality of Galaxy S and compared it to Iphone 4.  I think they did a superb job.  Please see the link.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500p6.php

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #22 of 29
For higher capacity batteries I'd suggest keeping an eye on the Seidio website. I have an extended capacity battery on my Moto Droid, and I hope they come out w/one for this excellent device.

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #23 of 29
Was interested in this phone and recently found a thread that might make this player sound much better. Its a fix to the headphone jack.  Anyone have other experiences with the phone?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735918

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #24 of 29

Quote:
Was interested in this phone and recently found a thread that might make this player sound much better. Its a fix to the headphone jack.  Anyone have other experiences with the phone?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735918

I did tha with my Captivate. I haven't listened to it before i did that but when I did a quick listen with the K702s I got good results. I will have more details later this week when my SE 535s come in. I'll be doing all of my main listening on this phone. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 29

How To Get Your Samsung Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant T959, in this particular case) from a ho-hum source into a GOOD SOURCE.

1. Buy a Vibrant.
2. Prepare to Root your Vibrant

2.1 You'll need the following bits of software downloaded from the Android Market:
2.1.1 Ryan ZA OCLF (One Click Lag Fix)
2.1.2 ROM Manager (Clockwork Recovery)
2.1.3 Titanium Backup * Root (Free)

as well as this ROM downloaded from the xda-forums Vibrant forums:
2.1.4 Axura204Vibrant.zip from Devs4Android available on the xda-forums.com vibrant forum at this url: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821468

Once you have compiled all that in one your phone and on a folder for yourself to put on your phone's internal sd card (I'm speaking of transferring the ROM to the internal not external microsdhc card for the flashing of the ROM)
You are then ready to begin the process.

3. On your Vibrant open Ryan ZA OCLF and click to Root the device, it will then have you reboot your phone. follow the instructions on screen, using the volume up and down keys to move through the menu options, and the on/off/power/hold button to select from the menu choices. 
Once rebooted you can check to see if you have root by looking for a new app called "Superuser" in your apps. That will tell you your device is rooted.

4. Now move on to Titanium Backup, which requires Root Access to function. Open it up and select the button on screen that says Problems? This will allow you to select the auto-upgrade for Busybox with the button marked "Yes, do it" on the bottom left.
You can then hit the Menu key, select Batch, select Backup all user apps + system data, and Run the batch operation. It will take SOME TIME. Meaning MINUTES

5. Once Titanium Backup has created a complete backup for you to restore to your new system which we will be installing soon, you can move on to the ROM Manager phase.
So open up ROM Manager app, and select Flash ROM Manager. This will open a pop up menu with your phone's model type. Select Galaxy S Vibrant for a Vibrant Phone, and it will flash the proper instructions to ROM Manager.
Exit ROM Manager. We will return to it after we put the ROM on the internal microsdhc card storage in the phone.

6. Moving Axura204Vibrant.zip to /sd .  This is easy but seems complicated. How do we access the internal storage of the phone???
With Windows Explorer or any other file manager of course. Mount the phone's USB after connecting a USB Cable between the computer and Vibrant, meaning the USB storage, and look for the mounted disk that has the Titanium Backup folder on it. Thats the internal sd card. just copy and past the Axura204Vibrant.zip to root of that directory. NOT IN Titanium Backup, but the one that Titanium Backup is held in. Got it??

7. Disconnect your USB device safely. Then on your Vibrant go to ROM Manager again. open the menu item that says Install ROM From SD Card, and scroll down. you should see Axura204Vibrant.zip at the bottom of the list. click on it and it will begin the ROM Firmware Upgrade...

8. Post Installation:

9. There is an application that is installed called SGS Info. Open it. Select Service Menu>[5]Audio>[2]Headset>[9]Diamond Solution]>[6]Mic TX>[1]Mic TX OnOff: Off >Here you want to select Menu, Key Input, tap in the input rectangle and input the digit 1 to turn on the Mic TX or Tranxceiver.
Next up you need to adjust the Fir_Coefficient Table. So go down to [2]Fir_Coeff Table>[1]fir_coeff 0: needs to be keyed input of 0, [2]fir_coeff 1: needs to be keyed input of 1 (and will, when correct display hexadecimal 0x1) etc. do the same for 0 thru 6.
So you will have to key input for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, ultimately, at each register of the fir_coefficient table slot. That fixes Samsungs screw up with the EQUALIZER, and makes the nice Wolfson DAC in the Vibrant and other Galaxy S models perform correctly. 

Oh the reason I advocate this ROM is because it gives so much more battery life with the device, allowing you to enjoy your FLAC files that much longer. There's also a nice Cameron Sino 3000mAH battery with a replacement back cover out there that I have that doubles to triples the lifespan of the phones working life. I'll post a link when I get it off my main workstation. This should suffice for now. OH my EQ settings!

10. These EQ settings are adapted from the BioEQ for the multiband EQ in the Galaxy S and they sound real nice.

I wont get into a war of flat vs EQ. if you like it flat, play that way, if you like a little sizzle here's my reccomendation.for any phones.

125[6]  250[0]  500[1]  1k[3]  2k[6]  4k[1]  8k[1] 12k[6]

That gives it a nice separation and mimics the BioEQ very well. Also for filters, I use Music Clarity.\  

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #26 of 29
I thought I should pipe in -- I heard that the One-click Lag Fix (OCLF) supposedly conflicts with T-mobile's major update (GPS fix). I've heard (and read) of cases from Samsung Vibrant owners who installed OCLF. When they received the T-mobile update, their phones would just hang on start-up, and no amount of resetting helped.

I haven't read anything about temporarily removing OCLF, receiving Tmobile's update, and then re-installing OCLF. That might work. I think by now, most customers have installed the update though. I would do my homework.

The stock sound of the Vibrant is fine with me though. I use it with my old Etys...

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 29
Who needs the T-mobile Eclair update when you can get Auxura 2.0.5, which flies, and is Froyo? 
wink_face.gif

Have any of you seen PowerAMP music player?

PLEASE check it out!  I would like some of y'all's opinions!

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #28 of 29
Well I have the Captivate which is a galaxy S phone and I also have power AMP media player and love it; the equalizer is amazing and very cleanly do e. The sound quality is noticeably better with this application than usu g the standard, on board music app.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #29 of 29

Quote:
I thought I should pipe in -- I heard that the One-click Lag Fix (OCLF) supposedly conflicts with T-mobile's major update (GPS fix). I've heard (and read) of cases from Samsung Vibrant owners who installed OCLF. When they received the T-mobile update, their phones would just hang on start-up, and no amount of resetting helped.

I haven't read anything about temporarily removing OCLF, receiving Tmobile's update, and then re-installing OCLF. That might work. I think by now, most customers have installed the update though. I would do my homework.

The stock sound of the Vibrant is fine with me though. I use it with my old Etys...

Well, if you're using a OCLF you should also most likely be running a custom ROM in which case you will already have the GPS fix implemented.  You're not going to want to use any more of T-mobile's OTA updates. 

And yeah, Axura is the way to go.  I running 2.0.5 now and it's just buttery smooth.  I had 2.0.4 with the stock kernel and that was great but when I updated to 2.0.5 I decided to go to the VooDoo Lagfix kernel and I'm happy to say that battery life is still just as strong as when using the stock kernel.  I've also used some TeamWhiskey ROMs and one of Eugene's ROMs and I have to say that I much prefer Axura. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back