Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Mar 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #121 of 257
It now seems to me that most Samsung models have 8994 in them. Heil 24/96 capability! 

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #123 of 257
My bad. When I said 'most' it was just Samsungs with Wolfson. Which is just... Yeah... 

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #124 of 257
how does samsung with wolfson compare with an ipod (5th gen) that has wolfson.  

I think it has a "better" wolfson model in it.  So I'm guessing line out of an ipod will have superior sound than our phones?  Possibly headphone out, also?  

What is the amp/dac that drives the sound when it's LOD?  It bypasses the Wolfson if you use the LOD, right? 

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #125 of 257

Quote:

I think it has a "better" wolfson model in it.  So I'm guessing line out of an ipod will have superior sound than our phones?  Possibly headphone out, also?  

What is the amp/dac that drives the sound when it's LOD?  It bypasses the Wolfson if you use the LOD, right? 

If I'm not mistaken, the iPod still sounds better.
If you use LOD, wouldn't it  be using the external amp/DAC? That being said, Android does not support that at the moment.

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #126 of 257

Quote:
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, the iPod still sounds better.
If you use LOD, wouldn't it  be using the external amp/DAC? That being said, Android does not support that at the moment.

ipod WITH a wolfson, right?  not all do :)  and they differ in models.  http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

Hmm, I see...I thought you could plug headphones in right into the iPod dock...    Also, Cyanogenmod 7 for android DOES support the line out via microUSB in case you were unaware :)  

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #127 of 257
Mar 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #128 of 257

Quote:
Quote:

ipod WITH a wolfson, right?  not all do :)  and they differ in models.  http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

Hmm, I see...I thought you could plug headphones in right into the iPod dock...    Also, Cyanogenmod 7 for android DOES support the line out via microUSB in case you were unaware :)  

Ohhh yes. :) Cyanogenmod 7 does? Does Cynaogenmod 9 support LOD then? Also, do they work on Custom ROMs? :DDDDD

i'm not sure.  but i CM7 IS a custom rom.....:)  

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #129 of 257
I'll assume CM9 is one too then. :)

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #130 of 257
Hi,

I am looking for a good music smartphone. I am seriously considering Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia N8 . I prefer phones with good battery life. Also, I hear that the sound quality of S1 is better than Sii. Could somebody explain that to me? And, What is the chip used in the Galaxy plus version? How is the battery life?   Please tell me your opinions and help me to get the best music smartphone. Thank you.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #131 of 257

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for a good music smartphone. I am seriously considering Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia N8 . I prefer phones with good battery life. Also, I hear that the sound quality of S1 is better than Sii. Could somebody explain that to me? And, What is the chip used in the Galaxy plus version? How is the battery life?   Please tell me your opinions and help me to get the best music smartphone. Thank you.

the s1 has better sound than the s2 because the s1 uses a wolfson chip. battery life on my galaxy s is fairly decent but ive been getting much better battery life on my brother's s2. 7+ hours of screen on time compared to 4. If I were you, id wait for the iphone 5 or galaxy s 3. they are right around the corner and the improvements are definitely worth the wait. better battery life, better screen, better hardware, better everything so why not?

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #132 of 257
Any reports on the audio performance of the official samsung docks? The official vehicle and home docks have a line out functionality that transports audio through the i9000 micro USB. Can anyone comment on the performance of line out dock with an amp vs. an external amp through the headphone jack?

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #133 of 257

Quote:

the s1 has better sound than the s2 because the s1 uses a wolfson chip. battery life on my galaxy s is fairly decent but ive been getting much better battery life on my brother's s2. 7+ hours of screen on time compared to 4. If I were you, id wait for the iphone 5 or galaxy s 3. they are right around the corner and the improvements are definitely worth the wait. better battery life, better screen, better hardware, better everything so why not?

Although the sound quality on the S III is as of yet unknown, as is that of the iPhone 5. Following the current trend however, I suspect that the iPhone 5 will have audio quality as good as that of the iPhone 4S (which is pretty dang good, if you don't mind my saying so), while the S III will have SQ on par with that of the S II (not excellent, but not bad), though there's the possibility that Samsung will revert back to using the much superior Wolfson WM8994 found in the original Galaxy S. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #135 of 257
I have the iPod 5.5gen now that has a better Wolfson DAC than the Nexus S (galaxy s1) + Voodoo.  In fact, as much as I'm SUPER impressed with the Fiio E17 amp/dac, I could ALMOST do without it (if i didn't care about the USB dac) and the iPod.     The Nexus S (with voodoo) was JUST THAT good to my ears.  I miss the awesome touch interface, Poweramp player with all its amazing features including crossfading, and being able to download songs right onto the phone over wifi. 

The E17 does drive my headphones better though, and is cleaaan even with the 12db gain and I'm sure that also has to do with the iPod as well.  I never tried the Nexus S + E17.  5db gain on the nexus S was amazing though.....again VOODOO is responsible for that <3

***********I've tried a few different Galaxy S1 phones.... Fascinate, Vibrant, Epic (sprint slider phone) and Nexus S.......   Nexus S has the best amp.   Quite a bit louder than the others (Epic is pretty loud also).

THE only reason why I sold it was to try the Ipod and because it didn't have expandable memory (16gb).  Now that I have the E17, I could easily see myself buying a Vibrant which has 8gb or 16gb built in + my 32gb microSD.

It sounds like I'm discounting how much I like the E17, but I really am not--it has truly exceeded my expectations and I'm 100% satisfied.  It's more the old iPod interface that I don't like using so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back