Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #31 of 77
Just got the Note 9 (Exynos version), was using Note 8(Exynos version as well). I do feel that there is a substantial upgrade in the audio department. (Sorry I have drop out of the audio hobby so the terms I use may be very general).

I've always feel that the sound quality in Note 8 was lacking terribly as compared to my DAP (which wasn't very high end). It was a quick few hours before I decided that my Note 8 won't be my primary source for music enjoyment.

Note 9 was different story though, I find that it is good enough (though I have not do a head to head comparison), that I entirely made the switch to Note 9 as my primary DAP.

Note 9 win Note 8 in terms of audio without a question. I did not try LG Phone, despite knowing they have excellent sound(I did not audit before), as I feel that LG Phone is not as well build as Samsung phone.

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #32 of 77
Just got the Note 9 (Exynos version), was using Note 8(Exynos version as well). I do feel that there is a substantial upgrade in the audio department. (Sorry I have drop out of the audio hobby so the terms I use may be very general).

I've always feel that the sound quality in Note 8 was lacking terribly as compared to my DAP (which wasn't very high end). It was a quick few hours before I decided that my Note 8 won't be my primary source for music enjoyment.

Note 9 was different story though, I find that it is good enough (though I have not do a head to head comparison), that I entirely made the switch to Note 9 as my primary DAP.

Note 9 win Note 8 in terms of audio without a question. I did not try LG Phone, despite knowing they have excellent sound(I did not audit before), as I feel that LG Phone is not as well build as Samsung phone.
I've had both LG V30 and G7 and honestly I prefer the sound from my Note 9. It seems better tuned. The sound is clearer and has more detailed highs/mids. I hear sounds I did not hear with my LG phones and sounds are more detailed. Today I only have my Note 9 as it delivers as a portable music player. I was also surprised because I really disliked the sound in the Note 8 as it was terrible in comparison to the Note 9. Didn't expect this much of an upgrade.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #33 of 77
I've had both LG V30 and G7 and honestly I prefer the sound from my Note 9. It seems better tuned. The sound is clearer and has more detailed highs/mids. I hear sounds I did not hear with my LG phones and sounds are more detailed. Today I only have my Note 9 as it delivers as a portable music player. I was also surprised because I really disliked the sound in the Note 8 as it was terrible in comparison to the Note 9. Didn't expect this much of an upgrade.
To clarify for other readers, you have the eyxnos version of the N9. The Qualcom version is notoriously not as good.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #34 of 77
i tested my note 9 vs my LG V30 using neutron player and the same songs on both using my audeze isine 10. While i think the V30 sounds better it is actually pretty close, Samsung has come along way on their audio quality. i never listened to music on my previous S8 plus as it sounded terrible.
I could certainly listen from the note 9, i will test them again tonight using my hifiman edition X V2

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #35 of 77
i tested my note 9 vs my LG V30 using neutron player and the same songs on both using my audeze isine 10. While i think the V30 sounds better it is actually pretty close, Samsung has come along way on their audio quality. i never listened to music on my previous S8 plus as it sounded terrible.
I could certainly listen from the note 9, i will test them again tonight using my hifiman edition X V2
Which N9 version, exynos or Qualcom?

My N9 Qual is about 85% of my old V30 but 15% is significant for me.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 77
I have the Qualcomm version of the N9 and have to say that it's a nice step up from the N8, of which I didn't care for the SQ whatsoever. And for reference, I've used every LG flagship except for the new V40 (but I've heard it sounds just like the G7). LG definitely has the upper hand in terms of detail and separation, but the differences aren't as stark as they once were. I'm usually right as rain with the IE 800 S straight out of the N9, and that's saying a lot with the Mojo and iDSD BL as my primary gear.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #39 of 77
I agree: Samsung has made some strides in the audio area with the Note 9 although I wish I had the Exynos version.

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #40 of 77
(Still Exynos here)
After having this for a while I figured that the sound quality was great enough for me to try out a pair of more expensive headphones. I've always pined at those planar-magnetic ones so I went and got myself a pair of Audeze Sine. I have to say that the DAC quality in the Exynos Note 9 is quite excellent. I had to tweak the equaliser a bit to get the sound I like but the system equaliser handles that really well.
Regarding the sound, with the slightly overly expensive headphones, I can hear a lot more detail and separation on instruments, especially the brighter ones.
Some details can sound a little harsh but that's only if I listen for it and compare with my desktop headphone amp.
I am very happy with what Samsung delivered with this phone. No corners cut anywhere!

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #41 of 77
I have Note 9 and lg g7..
Please don't joke about sound quality .
It's true that Note 9 and S9 plus Exynos sound really good compared to the old ones.. But the G7 trump them in audio department .
LG is the only possible Dap replacement at the moment . Considering also the power output of it.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #42 of 77
I have Note 9 and lg g7..
Please don't joke about sound quality .
It's true that Note 9 and S9 plus Exynos sound really good compared to the old ones.. But the G7 trump them in audio department .
LG is the only possible Dap replacement at the moment . Considering also the power output of it.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #43 of 77
I never said the Note 9 is better. I said that I prefer it and this is still true. For me it's better tuned and brings up more details in the sound even though the G7 had a bit wider soundstage. But I hear sounds better on the Note 9. It also responds better to minor EQ changes than the G7 did which has an absolutely horrible EQ.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #44 of 77
Hi, I have recently got a note 9 and am looking at the best way to use this for desk and mobile. I was considering a Mojo as I wasn't that impressed with 3.5mm to rca lead out to my amp, and chromecast/media server use over the network hasnt been great.

Any way, I was playing about, and have been impressed with the sound being passed out via HDMI through to my amps optical input. This is achieved using a Samsung dex station (or a non proprietary usb c hub would work) which has a hdmi output

I am interested to know what quality would get transported for my flac 24/96 files, and whether a Mojo would further improve things. From what I understand 16/44.1 is the limit for the 3,5mm socket
Cheers

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #45 of 77
Hi, I have recently got a note 9 and am looking at the best way to use this for desk and mobile. I was considering a Mojo as I wasn't that impressed with 3.5mm to rca lead out to my amp, and chromecast/media server use over the network hasnt been great.

Any way, I was playing about, and have been impressed with the sound being passed out via HDMI through to my amps optical input. This is achieved using a Samsung dex station (or a non proprietary usb c hub would work) which has a hdmi output

I am interested to know what quality would get transported for my flac 24/96 files, and whether a Mojo would further improve things. From what I understand 16/44.1 is the limit for the 3,5mm socket
Cheers
If you us an external DAC then it doesn't really matter what you're connection to it as long as it has a fitting digital output. At that point all digital to analogue conversion is done by the external device. The 3.5 mm jack in the phone is analogue. At that point there are no digital equivalences. The DAC in the phone provides a 24-bit source to that jack but it's analogue at the point of the jack. It will inevitably add noise and distortion if you connect the phone through that headphone jack to an external DAC as the sound goes through two converters and a piece of analogue wire and its connectors.

Short answer, stick to the digital out if you're using an expensive external DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back